Buying The Turbo outright, what is the best phone insurance?

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Some background

I've never got the cellphone insurance or extended warranty when getting a new phone and never needed it until I shattered the screen on my DNA a couple of weeks ago. Now I am stuck with an ancient Droid Bionic......blah.

So now I am waiting to buy a Turbo outright and I am planning on getting an extended warranty or insurance. I looked at Verizon Total Equipment Coverage but it looks like it isn't available if you but the phone outright because the page says you need to you must sign up within 30 days of one of the following: Opening a new account with a new device or Purchasing a new device with a new plan contract. Which I won't be doing.

So that leaves me wondering which is the best insurance to get for my upcoming Droid Turbo.

Help me out here please.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a Square Trade warranty for my daughter's unlocked S5 bought on ebay. She cracked the screen 2 weeks ago. Free shipping to and from repair facility. The repair was perfect and they responded to my initial claim filing immediately. $75 deductible. Very impressed. The whole process was unbelievably smooth and easy.

Mary Beth

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I had a Blackberry playbook on Square trade and as I remember the price was good for the insurance. I never used it but would consider it again. My current insurance is a full case.

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I had a Blackberry playbook on Square trade and as I remember the price was good for the insurance. I never used it but would consider it again. My current insurance is a full case.

How my Droid DNA shattered I do not believe a case would of helped. I dropped it on a chip sealed parking lot ground, the screen hit a rock at just the right angle so that it and the screen were the two things that came together first.

If it would of hit a corner or landed on the back of the phone I think it would of survived.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
After reading this I decided to just now call Big Red and ask about buying the insurance. I am in the same boat and will end up paying full price for the phone. The very polite young lady did some checking and said if its bought outright I will still be able to put insurance on it.
The RMHD I have now is two years old and looks brand new, but I put it in an otter box right away and take it out once in awhile to clean it. Ive dropped it off a roof once onto cement and left it on my rear bumper in a parking lot. I cant praise these cases enough.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I do wonder if it might be smarter to set aside the same amount every month as you pay for insurance, make sure you don't use it (put it in a savings account?), and see if the amount you've saved has paid for a new phone by the time you actually break one?

I haven't broken a smartphone yet, and bought my first in 2007....

bluesboss2

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I add my phone to my homeowners insurance for a cost of about $35 per year, and it covers everything. Might be worth checking out with your insurance company.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I add my phone to my homeowners insurance for a cost of about $35 per year, and it covers everything. Might be worth checking out with your insurance company.

I dont think I trust my home owner's insurance enough to want to file a $600 claim for a phone. Next thing you know your rates are up 3x and if you try to switch you have to check that "yes I've had a claim in the past X years" box.

To the OP's question: I imagine you can buy the turbo direct from Motorola. If that's true they offer an insurance on the 2014 X which is $85, covers you for 2 years against anything *but* a lost device. $39 deductible and a 3 claim maximum.

So that's a $124 cost to replace a destroyed device. Basically you're assuming a 25% chance you'll smash your phone.

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

I dont think I trust my home owner's insurance enough to want to file a $600 claim for a phone. Next thing you know your rates are up 3x and if you try to switch you have to check that "yes I've had a claim in the past X years" box.

To the OP's question: I imagine you can buy the turbo direct from Motorola. If that's true they offer an insurance on the 2014 X which is $85, covers you for 2 years against anything *but* a lost device. $39 deductible and a 3 claim maximum.

So that's a $124 cost to replace a destroyed device. Basically you're assuming a 25% chance you'll smash your phone.

The homeowner's insurance seems like a good deal until the above happens. If you have to get it replaced they knock it against you. When I went into State Farm to do so they told me a horror story of someone with an iPhone 4S making a claim for a broken screen. They didn't have to pay a deductible but their insurance went up a full $85 a month all because of a $75 repair. Wouldn't want to mess with that.

The Motorola plan sounds great, actually! Definitely beats SquareTrade's at $99 for two years and a $75 deducible.

Moto's > Squaretrade > Carrier

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
After reading this I decided to just now call Big Red and ask about buying the insurance. I am in the same boat and will end up paying full price for the phone. The very polite young lady did some checking and said if its bought outright I will still be able to put insurance on it.
The RMHD I have now is two years old and looks brand new, but I put it in an otter box right away and take it out once in awhile to clean it. Ive dropped it off a roof once onto cement and left it on my rear bumper in a parking lot. I cant praise these cases enough.

Great info, thanks a ton. The Otterboxes seem very bulky to me but I may consider getting one now.

jaben2

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Just for the op's original question.
If you buy outright you can still use vzw total equipment insurance or whatever other one you choose. I always use theirs and have been buying outright since the thunderbolt. You just have to add it within 30 days of adding it to your account

Posted via the Android Central App

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have had my phone in an otterbox for 2 years, since new. It is a thick case but it works really well. I have also seen lifeproof cases but no expirence with them.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I have had my phone in an otterbox for 2 years, since new. It is a thick case but it works really well. I have also seen lifeproof cases but no expirence with them.

Lifeproof is great, but they don't make cases for enough phones.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a verizon S5 outright on swappa and added the verizon asurion insurance on it within the 30 days. Got water damage and it was replaced no problem so I would say the insurance would cover your purchase.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a verizon S5 outright on swappa and added the verizon asurion insurance on it within the 30 days. Got water damage and it was replaced no problem so I would say the insurance would cover your purchase.
Was there a $100 deductible?

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has announced that the Droid Turbo comes with one free screen replacement. Between that and the water-resistant nanocoating (don't try taking pictures underwater ala Galaxy S5) and I think I'll feel comfortable going "naked" without a case, and without insurance as well.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Verizon has announced that the Droid Turbo comes with one free screen replacement. Between that and the water-resistant nanocoating (don't try taking pictures underwater ala Galaxy S5) and I think I'll feel comfortable going "naked" without a case, and without insurance as well.

Most def agree!

This message was emitted from Uranus

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is putting a stake in the ground and declaring the Turbo will be a durable phone...so much so that they'll replace the screen if broken. I just have to say wow here...that is really cool!