Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo 64-bit Memory Access

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Can somebody please explain the benefits 64-bit (memory bus) brings to the Turbo?

I was also wondering if the Note 4 has this feature since it's got the same chipset?

This message was emitted from Uranus

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: 64-bit Memory Access

The Turbo doesn't have a 64 bit processor. Neither does the Note 4 or the soon to be released Nexus 6. Common android smartphone chips won't be available until some time next year. Only the Nexus 9 has a 64-bit processor. The benefits would be a faster smartphone and better battery consumption.

The Turbo offers either a 32 or 64 GB storage options. This would just be extra memory for more downloads, music, apps, games, and pictures.

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Not true. The Turbo has 64-bit memory access (bus). Check out the official Moto site for specs. I'm wondering how this affects performance of the phone and whether the Note 4 also has this?

Droid Turbo by Motorola on Verizon

This message was emitted from Uranus

Great, it is confirmed!! My guess is this is specific to the Turbo and Nexus 6 since they're both Motorola. I don't think it's standard on the Snapdragon 805

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

I saw the 64 bit also BUT if you go to qualcomms website it dosent reflect that.
It says 64 bit support for the 808 and 810 but doesnt say anything about the 805.

would post link but AC wont let me yet...

I posted similar stuff in another thread but have no idea where it went...

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It is not a processor that handles 64-bit instructions. Ie, like iPhone or your PC. That's coming.

The Turbo has a 64-bit memory bus. Basically it means that twice as much data can be shuttled between the processor and the RAM in the same number of cycles. It is a speed enhancement, nothing more.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What sort of future ramifications does a 64 bit processor have? I usually dont like to buy 'specs' if they are not useful but looking to try and future proof a new device when I finally decide since I usually have my phones for 2+ years before swapping.
Im coming from apple and am not at all excited about their new products.
Currently looking for reasons to not grab a Turbo.
Rumors have it that the HTC M9 may stuff a 64bit in there...
JF

Namrobo

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
64-bit processors will actually have a huge impact on flagship phones to come, especially regards to future proofing, imo.

The 64-bit support itself won't make an impact off the bat, but in the long term it is a natural step in tech evolution. The smaller size (20nm vs 28nm) itself will mean that manufacturers can cram more into an equivalent space, if only marginally. It will run more efficiently, just as fast if not faster depending on clock speeds, and will open doors pass the 3gb RAM cielling. Its also worth noting that more is not always better, as Apple's A8 chip(which is 64-bit) is clocked at 1.4ghz while still outperforming Qualcomms current flagship 805 processor in the Turbo in single core benchmarks. I love my Droid, but i have to cede credit to Apple for leading the mobile chip game since 2013 when the 5s(also 64-bit) was released. That sets us trailing behind nearly 2 years by comparison. This isn't as much a fault of "able-ness" imo, however, as much as it was the direction both companies were taking; Qualcomm's Anand Chandrasekher was quouted way back in October 2013, when Apple introduces its 64-bit A7 chip, as a "Market thing gimmick."