Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Battery Life Test

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Re: Battery Life Test

Thats pretty disappointing. Granted after the first few weeks I don't think I would tax my phone that hard.. but that is a far cry from 2 days mixed.

Its still better than I'm getting now with my S4 mind ya.. so I guess its relative, but I would expect it to perform better than current models out there under the same stress test.

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Right. I really believe two days could be right, though. Factor I have my screen on for about 4 hours a day if that. Standby shouldn't eat up much so two days could be realistic.

Had this stuck with a 1080p panel I bet we'd be looking at 13+ hours. You never hear Qualcomm boasting about their Adreno power draw advantages. As power hungry as GPUs are compared to CPUs I'd say 9.5 hours at 600mhz is the culprit.

hazardouse21

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

At first it sounds like a low number compared to the two days that Moto/VZW are claiming, but 9.5 hours of actual use over the course of a couple days sounds pretty average to me. Any more than that and you're treating your phone as a part-time job.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I think I want to see a couple more test results before passing judgment. I am coming from a two year old RMHD and get two days battery easily. It would be very disappointing to get less than that. But I really don't think that test is real world use.

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

I think I want to see a couple more test results before passing judgment. I am coming from a two year old RMHD and get two days battery easily. It would be very disappointing to get less than that. But I really don't think that test is real world use.

You don't get two days with heavy usage, which is what this test is. This means always on your phone with browsing, videos, calls, etc...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Maybe they should wait to test it when it actually ships... As for me, I don't use a phone the way they describe. I'm sure most of us don't, and I'm sure most of us would easily get from wake up to bedtime without requiring a supplemental charge. When do most of us need any more than that?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Correct. Motorola smart actions app helps a lot. It's not available anymore but here is a screen shot from awhile ago. No where near what the test showed. Talk time and screen time is a lot lower. But I also don't run stuff in the background.

Attachments

• 1414614077641.jpg
    1414614077641.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 75

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I don't even bother with these sites, I'll get the phone in my hands and make my own opinions if it's "above average".

These tests are unrealistic by far.

makryger1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I understand and agree with the battery-test cynics out there-- someone's individual use will be completely different than these tests, and saying that we will be getting 9.5 hours in real life with this device is obviously an underestimate.

But I think there is some value to these tests, as they provide a standardized method to compare different phones. So while this doesn't tell me how much battery life *I'm* going to get on this individual phone, it does suggest that the top-of-the-class mAh rating is not translating into top-of-the-class battery life.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

On the GSam Battery Monitor Summary, what does "Phone Radio" mean?
I am not 100% on this answer but I believe it just says how long the radio (4G) has been connected to the network. I think it only applies to each charge cycle. I usually only charge every two days or so.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You're correct. These tests are basically a rundown test like they used to do with the looping video playback test. But they aren't meant to show the mixed usage and downtime an end user would see, but merely how long will the battery last if you're constantly using it. It's only considered to be a metric to judge battery life between devices. It is more fair than a human tester because it eliminates human error. What it does do is show that if a phone lasts longer than another in these tests, it should also beat the other in everyday usage, regardless of light, medium, or heavy use.

If anything I'd think this should give us screen on time, and if that's the case it's a step up from my Maxx, and I usually get around 25 to 35 hours out if it with around 4 to 7 hours of screen time.

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm actually a senior editor at a couple of the internet's largest tech review sites so I figured I'd chime in here with my two cents about the battery tests.

For starters, yes, these tests are absolutely valuable, as they provide a (relatively) consistent basis by which to judge particular devices when subjected to particular sets of conditions. So, in that regard, yes, it is safe to say that, at 150 cd/m2 brightness (which is quite dim), the Droid Turbo's battery life is nothing special when compared to many other devices while surfing the web (though browser choice is also not mentioned in the article).

However, there is an extraneous factor in play here, and it surrounds the typical usage profile of a cellphone. Sure, if you use your phone as a computer or tablet primarily, then you can expect nothing special in terms of battery life from the Droid Turbo. That's surely due to the higher-resolution screen, as more pixels = more power consumption. But since most people use their phone for making and receiving calls, GPS, listening to music with the screen off, etc, this doesn't tell the full story by any means. Rather, thanks to continual advancements in chipset efficiency, it seems quite likely that we will see notably improved battery performance in those categories as compared to any measurements relying on screen time.

To put it another way:

Higher-res screen = more battery consumption with screen on
Greater chipset efficiency = lower battery consumption with screen off and other activities taking place

In other words, it just so happens that in this particular metric, the Droid Turbo is artificially handicapped out of the gate and thus is predisposed to underperform.

These reviews would be much more useful in my opinion if they did what we do with tablets and notebooks when reviewing them: that is, tested the phones under differing sets of conditions, such as a test where the screen remains off the entire time but a phone call is in progress or a song is playing at a particular volume.

I would have certainly preferred a 1080p screen as it is more practical and it would have allowed for absolutely unparalleled battery life in all categories, just as I would have preferred a 13 MP camera with OIS in place of the 21 MP (greater sensor noise) as it translates to more practical camera functionality. Unfortunately, engineers are slaves to the marketing department and pencil-pushers alike in all tech segments (as we quickly learn during our reviews of forthcoming notebooks and tablets), and so padding the spec sheet with bigger numbers often means more than simply designing a well-balanced product.

Still, I am probably picking one up tomorrow.

[/$.02]

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

As long as its on par or better screen on time than the current droid maxx I'll be happy. When I had my droid maxx I was getting anywhere from 6-8 hours screen on time. With my S5 I get between 3.5-4.5 hours.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I was hoping the Turbo had a bit more battery life. For comparison purposes, the Z3v I am testing now just returned 9 hours 43 minutes of actual screen time. I didn't use any battery saving apps and had everything wide open except for Bluetooth in a poor reception area. Display was set a about 50% with "adaptive lighting" enabled. I thought the Turbo with 700 more mAh would have better results than the Z3v, but then again with a more demanding processor and higher pixel count it kind of makes sense that it doesn't.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Why do you keep bashing the Turbo (which you do not have) and praising the Z3V in the DROID Turbo forums? Either buy the Turbo and compare it fairly, quit bashing it, or leave the Turbo forums. Your negative posts here are a real drag.

This message was emitted from Uranus

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Why do you keep bashing the Turbo (which you do not have) and praising the Z3V in the DROID Turbo forums? Either buy the Turbo and compare it fairly, quit bashing it, or leave the Turbo forums. Your negative posts here are a real drag.

This message was emitted from Uranus
Not bashing the Turbo. Just expressing opinion and comparing another phone that was launched within the same week as the Turbo. I've said in many of my posts that I was impressed with the Turbo specs. Hardware, reception, and battery etc.. My comment here is in response to the post about the Turbo battery life as nothing special by a different individual. If that is true that is disappointing. We shall see - I hope it ends up being as good as promised. As with my other posts you take issue with I apologize, but isn't it normal and to be expected that individual members would want to compare experiences and different phone attributes in these forums? I am sincerely looking forward to real world reviews and everyone's opinion of the Turbo. From every angle it is a beast of a device.