DROID TURBO: FYI tethering does not work (resolved 10/31)

turneja6535

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: FYI tethering does not work (for me or the store rep's personal droid turbo)

You guys have a payed tether plan and force stopped and then immediately started tether? The entitlement app does restart on its own so you have to be fast.

I have a an it ticket and network ticket open so maybe they fixed it and not what I did.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: FYI tethering does not work (for me or the store rep's personal droid turbo)

I'm sure you all have done this but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. I got the subscription message until I installed the system update. After the update, the hotspot works great. Hopefully this helps somebody.

Posted via the Android Central App

Glenn Jenkins

May 17, 2013
Visit site

I went to my local corporate Verizon Wireless store just now and finally convenienced the manager to swap SIM cards. It took what seemed like forever to activate the phone with the new SIM, but finally it activated. Still no Mobile Hotspot. I drove home and rebooted my phone several times. Now, guess what? The Mobile Hotspot is working. Maybe it took a few minutes after activation. I live about 10 minutes from the store. So from new SIM to working Mobile Hotspot took about 20 minutes give or take a few. There must be something to the SIM cards that shipped with the Turbo. Anyone else swap for a new SIM and get your Mobile Hotspot to work?

InfiniteClouds

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

You guys have a payed tether plan and force stopped and then immediately started tether? The entitlement app does restart on its own so you have to be fast.

I have a an it ticket and network ticket open so maybe they fixed it and not what I did.

Don't have payed plan for it and I'm on unlimited but foxfi always worked as a free no root hotspot maker.

Are the people having issues with turning hotspots on PERIOD or just free hotspot via apps like foxfi?

Last edited:

edison2012

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

No mobile hot spot yesterday, but when I tried it this morning was active. I don't remember getting an update. Perhaps it takes a day for the feature to become active. Just guessing since I didn't do anything to activate it.
edison

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Mine started working in the last 5 minutes. No updates, just magically worked.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

Don't have payed plan for it and I'm on unlimited but foxfi always worked as a free no root hotspot maker.

Are the people having issues with turning hotspots on PERIOD or just free hotspot via apps like foxfi?

FoxFi mobile hotspot will not work with any Moto phones running KitKat.

Zachtheowl

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I can confirm foxfi USB tethering works on turbo and windows 8 (not 8.1) I never use the WiFi tethering so have not tried it--USB mode has always been more consistent, generated less heat and drained less battery so I always use that.

datagrrl

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

No update and mine works now when it didn't a few hours ago.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

I can confirm foxfi USB tethering works on turbo and windows 8 (not 8.1) I never use the WiFi tethering so have not tried it--USB mode has always been more consistent, generated less heat and drained less battery so I always use that.

Yep, USB and Bluetooth tethering will still work but Wifi Hotspot was killed by the KitKat update.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

These people don't know what Foxfi is, including me. We are talking about the stock Mobile Hotspot feature of the phone. Mine is working fine.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Force stopped entitlement under Settings -> Apps -> All, tried the hotspot and it worked right away. All subsequent starts worked as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

Zachtheowl

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

These people don't know what Foxfi is, including me. We are talking about the stock Mobile Hotspot feature of the phone. Mine is working fine.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Oh, sorry! Foxfi (aka pdanet) are the original (more or less) tethering apps for android. They merged and are now one, and work exactly as described in the playstore.

Zachtheowl

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

***These people don't know what Foxfi is, including me.***

Oh, sorry! Foxfi and pdanet are two of the original tethering apps. They merged a while back and are now one, and function exactly as described in the play store. YMMV depending on phone model's apparently the turbo does Bluetooth and USB tethering but not WiFi due to KitKat. Still very useful and one time cost of $8ish

Zto

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Fixed now

Confirming what datagrrl reported.

Wi-fi Hotspot is now working - no longer getting subscription error. :D

I made no changes - the engineers must have figured it out.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fixed now

Confirming what datagrrl reported.

Wi-fi Hotspot is now working - no longer getting subscription error. :D

I made no changes - the engineers must have figured it out.
I guess I'll chime in with everyone one else. It magically started working last night. I didn't do anything to the phone, and I never called Verizon. Someone found a loose plug up there and plugged it back in apparently. (Janitor: "hmmm, that looks important. Maybe I out to plug that in?")

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze