Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Dropping data when on a call

So what happens if you are on VoLTE and you lose your 4g connection? Does the call drop? And/or do you lose your data connection? My understanding is the older phones had separate radios that could fall back, so even in 3g area, the data connection could fall back to 1x. But at least it would still work. But I am by no means very knowledgeable about any of this so maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Unfortunately the call would drop.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Cauhauna

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Bottom line people - it is a HARDWARE issue. The phone does not have the necessary HARDWARE radios to have simultaneous voice and data. This is why we (actually, you) are waiting on a SOFTWARE FIX which enables Advanced Calling/VOLTE/whatever they're calling it.

Want TRUE simultaneous voice/data with a big battery? Buy the 2013 Droid Maxx. Still using mine, because just like OP, I often use Maps and look at docs while on bluetooth - and WiFi isn't often available.

No idea what Moto was thinking. I'm their #1 fan. I'd have traded the 64 gig model for simultaneous voice/data in the traditional sense any day.

This sucks! I wanted to upgrade, but i won't pay full retail to lose functionality (UDP)

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Ultimately there are really two issues here. One being the phone only has a single antenna for voice/data and the second being the lack of VoLTE support at launch. I have much less issue with the first but to me the second is inexcusable and one of the reasons I have held back on getting the new Moto X or Droid Turbo.

In regards to the first issue I imagine this will be the new norm. Phone manufactures other than Apple don't make money, even Samsung is struggling to turn a profit now. This is due mostly in part to smaller profit margins. GSM phones have never required a second antenna to achieve simultaneous voice and data so the fact manufactures have spent the time and money to add a second antenna simply so that the few CDMA carriers in the world could achieve this has been a nice luxury. Even Apple never included this second antenna as they never saw the value in adding a second antenna to basically accommodate only Verizon and Sprint. With VoLTE here I can understand why phone manufactures will go the route of saving $2-3 to not include the second antenna anymore and I expect to see the M9 and S6 be the same way next year.

At the end of the day though it was on Motorola to make sure VoLTE was working on release since they chose to only include the single antenna. I don't blame them for the hardware decision but I do blame them for not having the software ready. I can give them a bit of a pass on the Moto X since it launched as a global phone but it should have been ready for the Droid Turbo given it launches as a Verizon exclusive over a month later.

Last edited:

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

The Turbo and the iPhones are the only devices on VZW that you cant use data and call at the same time. The iPhone 6 is the only one at the moment with VoLTE.

Posted via the Android Central App

2014 Moto X is the same. Waiting on a software update to enable voice/data at same time.

The Galaxy S5, iPhone 6 and LG G2 have this capability right now.

Posted via Android Central App

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

So my question is does the note 4 have this capability? As much as I want this phone, I'm going to have to return this and either get my MAXX back or switch to the S5 or Note 4.

Oh for those of you who already got the Turbo and turned their old phone in on the edge program, you can return the Turbo to the store as a Dead on Arrival (DOA) device and get your old phone back. The store has to hold on to your old phone for 15 days, which is the refund period.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

So my question is does the note 4 have this capability? As much as I want this phone, I'm going to have to return this and either get my MAXX back or switch to the S5 or Note 4.

Oh for those of you who already got the Turbo and turned their old phone in on the edge program, you can return the Turbo to the store as a Dead on Arrival (DOA) device and get your old phone back. The store has to hold on to your old phone for 15 days, which is the refund period.
If your asking if the note 4 can do voice and data at the same time, the answer is yes on 4g, like all the others, if you are on 3g then no.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: No voice and data at the same time?

Short version is that with launch of VoLTE most new phones are going to only include a single antenna for voice and data to cut costs. GSM carriers have never needed a second one so you are going to see more and more phones drop this extra antenna since VoLTE will make it mostly unnecessary on CDMA carriers. It's a shame Motorola couldn't get the VoLTE software taken care of prior to launch like Apple did with the iPhone 6.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

It was a Verizon mandate. They don't want new phones with hardware for CDMA simultaneous voice/data competing with their soon to be released LTE simultaneous voice/data which will be much faster and clearer. They estimate VOLTE will roll out for these new phones within 90 days and they are naming it Advanced Calling 1.0.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

It was a Verizon mandate. They don't want new phones with hardware for CDMA simultaneous voice/data competing with their soon to be released LTE simultaneous voice/data which will be much faster and clearer. They estimate VOLTE will roll out for these new phones within 90 days and they are naming it Advanced Calling 1.0.

Cauhauna

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Can you provide a link to the mandate?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

It's like when Verizon went from analog to digital, they started releasing all digital phones. Well like back then digital wasn't 100% coverage and now lte
Isn't 100% coverage, there are holes in Verizon lte coverage and you will experience more dropped calls. Digital got better and I assume lte will to within time, but for me personally, I'll be staying away from lte only phones for now. You still have the option to get phones that aren't lte only like the note 4 and such.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

I'm less concerned with simultaneous voice & data, since I don't use it much if ever. I'm more concerned with dropped calls. It sounds like those could be common with VoLTE. I think I'll hang on to my RMHD for now and see how it shakes out.

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm less concerned with simultaneous voice & data, since I don't use it much if ever. I'm more concerned with dropped calls. It sounds like those could be common with VoLTE. I think I'll hang on to my RMHD for now and see how it shakes out.

Well then you wouldn't have to turn Advanced Calling on I believe.

Naylor07

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

You can turn off VoLTE if you don't need the data at the same time, from Verizon:

"No, calls won’t switch between 3G and 4G LTE networks. If your call starts on the 3G network and you move to a 4G LTE coverage area, your call will continue as a 3G/CDMA call. However, if your call starts on the 4G LTE network and you move to a non-4G coverage area, your call will drop. [...] If you’re in an area with a weak 4G LTE signal, you may want to consider temporarily turning off the VoLTE Call setting on your phone to avoid dropped calls.
Note: Remember to turn it back on when you’re in a strong 4G LTE coverage area to take advantage of HD Voice and Video Calling."

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I forgot you can turn it off. Then I would just leave it off unless I wanted talk and data at the same time. I'll be curious to see the reports on dropped calls when lolte is rolled out and more users are on it.

Naylor07

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I forgot you can turn it off. Then I would just leave it off unless I wanted talk and data at the same time. I'll be curious to see the reports on dropped calls when lolte is rolled out and more users are on it.

I think the S5 uses it right? I mean I have an S5, but I never noticed. If that is the case, I don't drop calls ever, but I live in an area with great coverage.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Does the iPhone 6 use VoLTE? If so, I haven't read anything about increased dropped calls on Verizon.
Also, is navigation using data? So I wouldn't be able to navigate while making a call?

Posted via Android Central App

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Short version is that with launch of VoLTE most new phones are going to only include a single antenna for voice and data to cut costs. GSM carriers have never needed a second one so you are going to see more and more phones drop this extra antenna since VoLTE will make it mostly unnecessary on CDMA carriers. It's a shame Motorola couldn't get the VoLTE software taken care of prior to launch like Apple did with the iPhone 6.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1