Broken Droid Turbo

Kupo15

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
4 hours into buying the Turbo (64GB Ballistic Nylon), the phone/screen isn't as indestructible as it seems. Perhaps I put a lot of pressure on it, but as I was moving desks today for work, the phone cracked right in the middle and the screen basically became useless. It was still responsive with touch, but no point if you can't see anything.

Advice for anyone who keeps it in their pockets, without a case, and moves things...take it out of your pocket. I don't know if this would've made a difference, but maybe the crack would've been prevented if the screen wasn't facing out? Either way, with enough pressure applied, your phone can break. I even felt a slight crack on the back of the phone itself.

Unfortunately, I can't get a replacement until Saturday morning. The tech rep at Verizon was really helpful, but as my Turbo was probably the first victim, things in their system were a little glitchy. So I wasn't able to resolve anything just yet. Just sucks that I have to use this free replacement within the first day of owning the phone. :-\

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear this. But as phones become thinner and bigger in overall screen size they will be prone to cracking/breaking if you continue to place them in your pockets and sit down on them or subject them to other strange pressures.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear this. But as phones become thinner and bigger in overall screen size they will be prone to cracking/breaking if you continue to place them in your pockets and sit down on them or subject them to other strange pressures.
Sad but true. Thankfully they have the display protection though!

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
With this report, it makes me wonder if the offering of the free screen replacement is due to knowledge that, for some reason, the screens on the Turbo are prone to cracking. I know others have wondered the same thing, but if we hear of a lot more incidental screen fractures (read: not from heavy impact/drop) this might be something worth considering.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
With this report, it makes me wonder if the offering of the free screen replacement is due to knowledge that, for some reason, the screens on the Turbo are prone to cracking. I know others have wondered the same thing, but if we hear of a lot more incidental screen fractures (read: not from heavy impact/drop) this might be something worth considering.
Doubtful, HTC has offered the same thing. Many phones have had reports of display cracking from strange things though. Its always best to point the phone display in, not out.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this! I had the same thing happen with a different brand phone a few years back when helping a friend move. I still go without a case on my phones today but I always face the screen inward toward my leg in my front pocket ... I guess some if us have to learn the hard way and it's too darn expensive the hard way!

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Are there any reports of successful drops?? I dropped my first gen moto x several times without any more than a scuff. I don't want a phone that breaks every time it is dropped.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my Turbo from table height on a hardwood floor and didn't see any damage. My Bionic I had since release I dropped I'm sure a hundred times without damage. My friend had a Bionic and broke his screen dropping it on the floor. I replaced the screen for him and then he broke it again a week later. My bionic eventually wouldnt power on any more for unknown reason so I took his both of our bionics and made a good one.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Any other damage though and it's not covered so it's somewhat misleading as to what they're advertising. Page on VZ is not found but this is from the google cache.

Droid Turbo Screen Assurance is a program that offers one free certified like-new replacement device if you experience display damage within 2 years from the date of purchase on your new Droid Turbo.

This one time replacement covers only a cracked display. If you have already received a replacement under this program or the device is found to have been subjected to other physical damage such as crushed or damaged housings, liquid damage, software or hardware alteration, it is not eligible for a replacement under this program.

What is a “cracked display”?

A cracked display refers to cracks to the outer glass/screen portion in the front of the device. Any damage that also includes a cracked housing, missing glass fragments or other significant structural damage to the housing does not qualify for the Droid Turbo Screen Assurance program. If you’re unsure if your device meets the qualifications, you can visit a Verizon Wireless retail store to speak directly with a sales representative.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Any other damage though and it's not covered so it's somewhat misleading as to what they're advertising. Page on VZ is not found but this is from the google cache.

Droid Turbo Screen Assurance is a program that offers one free certified like-new replacement device if you experience display damage within 2 years from the date of purchase on your new Droid Turbo.

This one time replacement covers only a cracked display. If you have already received a replacement under this program or the device is found to have been subjected to other physical damage such as crushed or damaged housings, liquid damage, software or hardware alteration, it is not eligible for a replacement under this program.

What is a “cracked display”?

A cracked display refers to cracks to the outer glass/screen portion in the front of the device. Any damage that also includes a cracked housing, missing glass fragments or other significant structural damage to the housing does not qualify for the Droid Turbo Screen Assurance program. If you’re unsure if your device meets the qualifications, you can visit a Verizon Wireless retail store to speak directly with a sales representative.
Basically they're saying to use a case so the edges are protected. This must be a way for Verizon to sell more cases. :D

TFitz224

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I had mine in my sweatshirt pocket today and it fell out. No case on it yet because I assumed it was built tough. Nope. Glass has a clean crack from left to right around the lower 1/3 of the screen. Still perfectly usable, but I called VZ and they're sending me a new one this week. The first rep I spoke with hadn't even heard about the Screen Assurance program, and the second rep took a while because she hadn't gone through the process yet.

Definitely recommend using a case now and forever. No phone is safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12