Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Screen Brightness?

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not one to go off online reviews too much but Phonearena just released theirs and listed the Turbo at a maximum brightness of 247 nits whereas they list my (currenty) Note 4 as 468. I don't use my phone that much outside but on occasion I do, but I don't remember the last time I had a phone that was rated that low. I played with it in stores last night but that's never a good indication. Right after I got the Note I compared brightness to my 2014 Moto X and could see a visible difference and that was rated at 385.

I'm not one to go much by spec sheets but wanted to get some polls of people who've had it since yesterday and what they are experiencing as it seems a lot of you are coming from other high end phones from the past year.

So, how do you feel about the brightness of the display?

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm very informed on the maximum brightness of recent phones bc i have eye problems and I can guarantee that the Turbo is much brighter than 250 nits. My previous phone, Droid RAZR M, was higher than that in testing and I can tell you the Turbo gets much brighter than the RAZR M.

I will admit the Turbo is not great outdoors when at maximum brightness but it's still acceptable for me. I did an in store comparison and the Note 4 is much brighter than the Turbo. Not a deal breaker for me though.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Screen Brightness?

Just got the Turbo. Snappy processor, near stock Android OS, yet the screen brightness is somewhat lacking. Do you think there could be a firmware update to improve screen brightness?

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I was expecting a brighter screen too but I guess they limited it to improve battery life? I will say it still looked a bit brighter than my Moto X (2013) although not as bright as the 2014 model. I still think it will be good enough for most.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Just got the Turbo. Snappy processor, near stock Android OS, yet the screen brightness is somewhat lacking. Do you think there could be a firmware update to improve screen brightness?

I think they may have already fixed it with the System Update that's available. Mine is much brighter now, almost on par with Note 4.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Haven't got the turbo yet, but on both my moto x 2013 and 2014 models, the auto brightness never scales all the way to 100%, even if you are outside in full sunlight.

On my X, I installed a brightness widget to disable auto brightness and set to full brightness when I'll be outside for awhile.

I wonder if they tested the phone with it just on the auto setting. Might explain the low number.

Posted via the Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Haven't got the turbo yet, but on both my moto x 2013 and 2014 models, the auto brightness never scales all the way to 100%, even if you are outside in full sunlight.

On my X, I installed a brightness widget to disable auto brightness and set to full brightness when I'll be outside for awhile.

I wonder if they tested the phone with it just on the auto setting. Might explain the low number.

I think you nailed it. And they will never admit their mistake with all the Samsung and Apple kickbacks flowing into that corrupt shop.

alfienoakes

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This might be a deal breaker for me, I'm weighing up this one and a z3 and don't have great eyesight. Can anyone compare it outdoors to one of the higher performing phones like xperia z3 (713), iphone 6 (606) or Nokia Lumia 620 (623)? Or point me in the direction where it has been tested after the update with a nits score? thanks

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This might be a deal breaker for me, I'm weighing up this one and a z3 and don't have great eyesight. Can anyone compare it outdoors to one of the higher performing phones like xperia z3 (713), iphone 6 (606) or Nokia Lumia 620 (623)? Or point me in the direction where it has been tested after the update with a nits score? thanks

I have eye problems and this was my main concern when buying a phone. The display brightness is fine after the system update. Not as bright as Note 4 but pretty close.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I just put mine next to my wife's note 3 with both at max brightness in my dark garage and the turbo is brighter (and warmer, if you care) for sure.

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
In the direct sun, the Turbo I am able to read the screen without having to block it with my body. At full brightness settings the screen is a small amount brighter than my wife's Moto X (1st gen). I am unable to read the screen on my Razr Maxx in the direct sun. All three were just compared side by side.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
System update worked! Screen looks brighter now. Went and compared to G3 and M8 at Verizon and my Turbo is just as bright if not brighter.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the greatest night vision but if I push the Turbo all the way to 100% brightness it hurts my eyes because it is so bright. I have used it a little out side and it seems fine in the very bright Phoenix sunlight.