Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon Separating...maybe?

Olittle

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey y'all....first post here, been lurking for a bit and appreciate all the info I've gained.

Picked up the 64GB first thing yesterday and so far have enjoyed what's there however if I press on the back in certain spots I can hear a creak/click like the sound of adhesive releasing. Maybe this is normal...maybe not. Anyone else having this occur?

Just a comment here, this thing is SLIPPERY....friggin super slippery. Coming from a Maxx HD I much preferred the feel. Strongly considering some sort of case or skin just to get a little grip on it. I can almost guarantee this is going to hit the pavement and free screen break or not I would weep.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Ballistic Nylon Separating...maybe?

Hey y'all....first post here, been lurking for a bit and appreciate all the info I've gained.

Picked up the 64GB first thing yesterday and so far have enjoyed what's there however if I press on the back in certain spots I can hear a creak/click like the sound of adhesive releasing. Maybe this is normal...maybe not. Anyone else having this occur?

Just a comment here, this thing is SLIPPERY....friggin super slippery. Coming from a Maxx HD I much preferred the feel. Strongly considering some sort of case or skin just to get a little grip on it. I can almost guarantee this is going to hit the pavement and free screen break or not I would weep.

Welcome to AC my man and congratulations on your purchase, the phone is truly dope. I too picked up the ballistic 64 model yesterday. I just pressed along the entire backside and did not hear any sort of crackling or feel any loose fabric. I would definitely call customer service or stop by the corporate store, they should send a warranty replacement overnight for free (even if they tell you it costs 12.99, they will ship it overnight for free trust me, they have every time for me)

I would get a replacement as soon as possible or at least notify Verizon being that they will re-mark your account for future reference.

It is slippery, you would think it would provide more grip but it really doesn't. If I wasn't a naked advocate I would definitely buy a minimalist type case for added grip and a bit of protection.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

I wanted the nylon but I just saw too many potential wear problems.

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

After reading your post I pressed on the back of mine BM 64 model and heard a pop or two at about 9:00 when looking a the back. After a few times of the pressing it, the popping stopped and it feels solid. It may be some adhesive that need to re-seat. If I press really hard I can still feel a little movement near the logo.

I don't think its a bad thing. There is always going to be some thermal expansion and contraction when heat is involved and if it were super rigid the problem would be stress fractures.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

After reading your post I pressed on the back of mine BM 64 model and heard a pop or two at about 9:00 when looking a the back. After a few times of the pressing it, the popping stopped and it feels solid. It may be some adhesive that need to re-seat. If I press really hard I can still feel a little movement near the logo.

I don't think its a bad thing. There is always going to be some thermal expansion and contraction when heat is involved and if it were super rigid the problem would be stress fractures.
I haven't noticed this yet but as long ad its not as bad as the S5 I'll be okay. I did hear this popping on the metallic glass display model though.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Olittle

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I went back in (corporate store) and they gave me another phone but the display had a little of this and even the new one does. The original was much worse though. I have a feeling this is going to be an issue with the phone's, so did the rep.

Impressive customer service, very.

Nice that they replaced it but I spent all day setting that one up....here we go again....

josh rohrer

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

josh rohrer

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I was searching the net for this exact thing and saw your post. After a quick charge I noticed the back felt pretty hot, after that I have notice when I press on the back bottom by the logos it pops and sinks in when pressed, like the back has separated internally. I do believe this will be an issue with this phone but not sure it will effect the functionality.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I was searching the net for this exact thing and saw your post. After a quick charge I noticed the back felt pretty hot, after that I have notice when I press on the back bottom by the logos it pops and sinks in when pressed, like the back has separated internally. I do believe this will be an issue with this phone but not sure it will effect the functionality.

This will not be an issue at all. Its just adhesive.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I only have this around the droid emblem at the bottom and I guarantee you I would not notice if it weren't for these posts!!

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I only had this issue with my 64gb. My new 32gb does not have this issue. And I haven't heard of it being an issue with the 32gb. What state are you from? Here in NY, this popping seems to be a real issue

Turbo Shot

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There's a spot on my 2013 Moto X that does this. So it's not the nylon that's got some play in it, but the case material underneath. I really don't see it as a problem as long it's not something you do everyday. If you're having to force the issue to make it happen, then stop doing it. If it was happening at a seam I'd be more worried.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The creaking, crackling, and squeaking are all issues with Motorola's recent phones. I love Motorola and their devices, and I hate to admit this, but after a few weeks, sometimes a month or two, if you look for it, you will notice that the construction does not feel the same as when it came out the box. If you pinch with two fingers along the perimeter of your device, you will notice that there is now a bit of give. Some may squeak, creek, or crackle in the BN's case. In addition, the power button gets loose and wiggles back and forth, although it isn't an issue turning the phone off. I don't let this bother me, because there are a ton of reasons why I would not get rid of my Turbo, but I think Motorola should look into their phone designs and correct these separation and loosening issues for the future. Moto is becoming the face of Android once again, and although a minor quirk, their expensive flagship phones should not be having these issues with build quality.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The creaking, crackling, and squeaking are all issues with Motorola's recent phones. I love Motorola and their devices, and I hate to admit this, but after a few weeks, sometimes a month or two, if you look for it, you will notice that the construction does not feel the same as when it came out the box. If you pinch with two fingers along the perimeter of your device, you will notice that there is now a bit of give. Some may squeak, creek, or crackle in the BN's case. In addition, the power button gets loose and wiggles back and forth, although it isn't an issue turning the phone off. I don't let this bother me, because there are a ton of reasons why I would not get rid of my Turbo, but I think Motorola should look into their phone designs and correct these separation and loosening issues for the future. Moto is becoming the face of Android once again, and although a minor quirk, their expensive flagship phones should not be having these issues with build quality.

The RAZR HD was great but the Droid Maxx did what you described. I have no issues minus the popping in the back since launch.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess from my standpoint, if it doesn't break, come loose, or affect the operation of the device, it isn't that big of a deal. Seems more like an OCD thing to me. If you have to make it happen, like press a certain area with more force than normal, is that really that bad. If it creaks every time you pick it up, then maybe, but again if it doesn't come apart or affect the operation, what's the big deal?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess from my standpoint, if it doesn't break, come loose, or affect the operation of the device, it isn't that big of a deal. Seems more like an OCD thing to me. If you have to make it happen, like press a certain area with more force than normal, is that really that bad. If it creaks every time you pick it up, then maybe, but again if it doesn't come apart or affect the operation, what's the big deal?

Battery life and the creaks are why I got rid of the S5. The battery cover creaked constantly during normal operation and I couldn't take it any longer. The Droid Turbo doesnt make any noise unless I force it which I don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888