DROID TURBO: Cases

Rhyno81

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the Incipio DualPro Carrying Case. I had an Incipio on my Droid Razr and it never did me wrong. It took a 5 foot drop to concrete without a scratch.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the Incipio DualPro Carrying Case. I had an Incipio on my Droid Razr and it never did me wrong. It took a 5 foot drop to concrete without a scratch.

You've got the ballistic nylon, correct? Please post back about the dimpled inner surface of the back of the inside of the case and whether or not that messes with or otherwise affects the Turbo's nylon backing.

Bamzilla

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting on just a simple bumper case with the back still open. I was unlucky enough to drop mine caseless in a parking lot. I was stupid and had my hands full so I had my phone sitting on a glossy external hard drive balancing in my hands as I tried opening my car door. Luckily it landed on an edge and was fine. A couple really small nicks on the side of it but you can't really see them unless you look for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You've got the ballistic nylon, correct? Please post back about the dimpled inner surface of the back of the inside of the case and whether or not that messes with or otherwise affects the Turbo's nylon backing.
I can chime in on that one. I have that case. Those dimples do nothing to this phone. Not even sure I understand what the claim is that people are making. The rubber dimples make a mark on the nylon weave? How the heck...? The weave on my phone is quite tough... Unless the rubber is chemically sticky (which is not the case on mine) I can't imagine it leaving behind anything on the weave. At least, it doesn't on mine.

What HAS happened to me is a cracked in the outer shell of the case, in one corner. I go bareback at home - prefer to hold the phone naked - so I take cases on and off a lot. The dual pro doesn't come off all that gracefully, so mine is now cracked.

Aside from that though, great case IMO. Love the feel of the rubberized hard Shell.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Rhyno81

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Those dimples do nothing to this phone. Not even sure I understand what the claim is that people are making. The rubber dimples make a mark on the nylon weave? How the heck...? The weave on my phone is quite tough... Unless the rubber is chemically sticky (which is not the case on mine) I can't imagine it leaving behind anything on the weave. At least, it doesn't on mine.

Can you post a photo of the dimples everyone is referring to? I ordered the case but it's still a few days out and I'm just really wanting to know what to expect. Are these just a few small dimples that could be shaved off with a razor blade?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you post a photo of the dimples everyone is referring to? I ordered the case but it's still a few days out and I'm just really wanting to know what to expect. Are these just a few small dimples that could be shaved off with a razor blade?

Go to the Amazon listing;
http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-DualPro-Carrying-Case-Packaging/dp/B00OZT66RI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418308252&sr=8-1&keywords=incipio+droid+turbo

Scroll down to the first review. There are a few too many to shave off. Besides, the fit would probably be sloppy without the bumps.

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
You and me both.

I'm in the same boat... Diztronic makes a great case at a decent price that provides adequate protection without adding much bulk.

Honestly I am a bit irked by the lack of options when it comes to case selection for BN Turbo phones. Am I alone in this?

Posted via the Android Central App

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat... Diztronic makes a great case at a decent price that provides adequate protection without adding much bulk.

Honestly I am a bit irked by the lack of options when it comes to case selection for BN Turbo phones. Am I alone in this?

Posted via the Android Central App

This is pretty common with VZW exclusives and, I assume, anyone elses. And the BN being a subset of an exclusive, that makes it worse. It is irritating for sure. But making the dies to mold cases is expensive so I suspect they will wait until there is enough demand to justify engineering and tooling.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I can chime in on that one. I have that case. Those dimples do nothing to this phone. Not even sure I understand what the claim is that people are making. The rubber dimples make a mark on the nylon weave? How the heck...? The weave on my phone is quite tough... Unless the rubber is chemically sticky (which is not the case on mine) I can't imagine it leaving behind anything on the weave. At least, it doesn't on mine.

What HAS happened to me is a cracked in the outer shell of the case, in one corner. I go bareback at home - prefer to hold the phone naked - so I take cases on and off a lot. The dual pro doesn't come off all that gracefully, so mine is now cracked.

Aside from that though, great case IMO. Love the feel of the rubberized hard Shell.

Ok, a follow-up here. I DID see the marks that people are talking about when I looked closely this morning. However, they don't appear to be permanent, nor "damaging" .. I was able rub them away with my finger and there's no trace afterward.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Sure can:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418320380870.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418320380870.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 55

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Any idea if they would fit the ballistic nylon? The listing doesn't say.

I emailed Cruzerlite yesterday and they confirmed that their cases work with the BN version.

The lack of case choices for the Droid Turbo, especially for the BN version, is really disappointing. Just another example of The Man keepin' us down...

So, what's the current status of cases that work with BN? I'm sure I'm missing some, but here's what I've seen so far:

Fit: Otterbox, Incipio, Tech21, Speck, Lifeproof, Case Mate, Cruzerlite, some Amazon/Ebay listings (such as stated above)?
Don't fit but going to release a BN edition: Diztronic, Tudia

Btw, Seidio and Trident reps have said that they're going to have cases. No timetable for Seidio; Trident said the Aegis will be out in Jan. No word on whether they will fit BN or make separate cases for it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I emailed Cruzerlite yesterday and they confirmed that their cases work with the BN version.

The lack of case choices for the Droid Turbo, especially for the BN version, is really disappointing. Just another example of The Man keepin' us down...

So, what's the current status of cases that work with BN? I'm sure I'm missing some, but here's what I've seen so far:

Fit: Otterbox, Incipio, Tech21, Speck, Lifeproof, Case Mate, Cruzerlite, some Amazon/Ebay listings (such as stated above)?
Don't fit but going to release a BN edition: Diztronic, Tudia

Btw, Seidio and Trident reps have said that they're going to have cases. No timetable for Seidio; Trident said the Aegis will be out in Jan. No word on whether they will fit BN or make separate cases for it.

The $19.99 glossy silicone Verizon cases fit, as well. I have the black one (assume the purple fits the same).

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This one looks somewhat similar to the Incipio Dual Pro, it's a two part silicone/hard case. They even show it with a ballistic nylon Turbo inside the case. Price is $9.99 and will be available on Sunday.

http://www.amazon.com/Armor-Motorol...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4118760

This looks like the exact same one as above available on ebay for $3.39 but ships from Hong Kong with earliest delivery date of 12/23:

2in1 Hybrid Silicone Impact Case Cover for Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254 | eBay

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^ Looks sleek as heck... available 12/17, nice! I'm waiting on the Trident Aegis release in Jan because I prefer having port covers, but... decisions, decisions...

swelljibes

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm another Ballistic Nylon owner who purchased the Droid Turbo not only for its capabilities, but also for the size and hand feel. Although its clear that utilizing one of the more protective "wrap around" cases would offer greater security against drop-damage, I'm unable to overcome my aversion to significantly altering the BN hand feel... which would result in a situation where I've purchased the case for the feel and placed a phone inside it.

So.... I'm looking for the least intrusive solution. In the past Case-Mate has produced a Hula Bumper case for Motorola phones... where the "case" is nothing more than a wrapper around the outer edge of the phone... protecting the corners in case of a drop, but not protecting the front or back. I thought this would be ideal, but unfortunately Case-Mate isn't producing one for the Droid Turbo and, per a phone conversation I had with a Case-Mate phone rep today, has no plans to produce one.

It might be worthwhile to lobby Case-Mate for such a solution... and obviously, the greater the number of requests, the higher the likelihood they'll change their plans. Still, I don't know enough about the differences in dimensions of the Kevlar and BN versions of the phone to know whether they would find they'd have to develop two solutions. If so, they would have to consider whether there would be enough return-on-investment there... and given they appear to have already chosen NOT to develop a product for either I'd say, sadly, the likelihood of them developing two solutions is slim to none.

NOTE: On another forum someone commented on the possibility of using just the bumper part of the Case-Mate Naked Tough case... but I asked the Case-Mate rep about this and she stated that it wouldn't work. Basically, the two parts (the bumper and the "back plate") work together... and if one tried using just the bumper the phone would just fall out.

I also investigated the Seidio Spring Clip Holster. It's a vertical belt-hung holster that accepts a naked phone. No protection really, but a way to carry a naked phone without stuffing a pocket and risking damage when the phone inevitably falls out. I believe someone mentioned this earlier, but I checked and sure enough, their web site has a marketing spot for the product with some sort of "coming soon" message. Based on this I contacted them via their web site's IM-like capability... In my conversation with them I discovered that the coming holster is expected to support ONLY the Kevlar version, NOT the BN version. Of course, it's possible the BN will fit, but be a very tight fit that could impact the BN material on the back of the phone. Won't know until it's available.

This leaves me with no current options... except to wait or consider buying one of the leather holsters available on eBay, Amazon or at Walmart. Hard to determine whether any of these will really fit the Droid Turbo though because most of the listings don't provide dimensions. On another forum someone suggested one particular leather holster on eBay... found using the following in the search window:
BLACK VERTICAL LEATHER BELT CLIP POUCH HOLSTER CASE FOR MOTOROLA DROID
TURBO

If anyone has any experience with this or any other vertical leather holster with a good fit could you please provide specific info on where it can be found or what you did to make it fit?

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma