Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Driving and the active display

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Driving and the active display

I'm really liking the active display. What I'm not liking is having it come on from every bump or stop light. I've been looking, but can't figure out a way with tasker to disable it while driving and enable when I stop. Any suggestions on what would help?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Driving and the active display

As far as I know, Motorola has not exposed a control to toggle it for apps like Tasker.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why you are concerned about this. It does not impact your battery enough to matter at all and it periodically "breathes " on its own without movement or gestures, so that's normal. It's one of the reasons I stayed with Moto because I loved this feature so much on my Ultra. It frustrates me that my Nexus 9 doesn't do it.... I always expect it to show me notifications when I touch it... I forget every device doesn't do that. You can use Moto settings to have it not do this during your bedtime hours or for meetings, etc. But otherwise I don't know why I would want it not to do this. It's one of the best features of Moto phones.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
My issue is it comes on with every bump or if I start/stop too quick. Every time I then look at the screen to see what the notification is.
I have driving mode turned off, so I don't know if it would be as sensitive with that on.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the active display coming on during driving is super annoying esp if there is no notification. It forces you to look at it, thats what bugs me.

What I found out is that if you keep it FLAT it blinks repeatedly BUT if you keep it SEMI UPRIGHT it doesnt get activated at all. So I currently keep it in my cupholder, actually fits perfect, only activated when its supposed too. I am thinking about getting one of the phone holders that attach to the ac vents. Some thing minimalist...

shouse3

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the always listening on with my turbo and it was crazy always popping on like the phrase was said. it was even coming on with the radio playing I had to disable the launch phrase of the Moto app. It was a disappointment cause I liked that feature on the phone.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the active display coming on during driving is super annoying esp if there is no notification. It forces you to look at it, thats what bugs me.

What I found out is that if you keep it FLAT it blinks repeatedly BUT if you keep it SEMI UPRIGHT it doesnt get activated at all. So I currently keep it in my cupholder, actually fits perfect, only activated when its supposed too. I am thinking about getting one of the phone holders that attach to the ac vents. Some thing minimalist...
I have one that goes in the CD player, the display is active a lot in that, both portrait and landscape. I haven't tried upside down yet. I have a vent one somewhere, but wouldn't see it being much different.

One work around I'm still playing with is keeping the proximity sensor covered, seems to work so far. If it proves to work, I'm planning on sewing a "cap" for it.

Edit: One important thing, is this trucks the phone into thinking it's in your pocket. Still get notification sounds, but the screen won't light for notifications.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the always listening on with my turbo and it was crazy always popping on like the phrase was said. it was even coming on with the radio playing I had to disable the launch phrase of the Moto app. It was a disappointment cause I liked that feature on the phone.

Try training with a different phrase, at least 5 syllables. Last year's phone required "ok Google now" for that reason, I believe.

jm1219

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Moto Display uses two methods to turn on the screen. It uses the phone's accelerometer to tell if you move the device. If you move the device at all, Moto Display will turn on. Only way to stop this is to turn off Moto Display. The other method uses the front IR sensors to detect if you wave your hand in front of the screen. This method can be turned off within Moto Actions. It only "breathes" when you have a notification. It uses the proximity sensor to tell if the phone is in your pocket. It has almost no battery impact, as GSAM will tell you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wait, I thought that moto display still breathes periodically with a clock and unlock icon even if there are no notifications?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699