Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Driving and the active display

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I like the active display function the phone has but it keeps coming on while driving. Hitting a bump or stopping and starting it flashes on. I lay the phone flat on the passenger seat in case it matters.

Am I missing a setting somewhere to not have it do that while I'm driving when there are no notifications?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Driving and the active display

I wonder if it can be disabled. Nice feature but also kind of a pain the ***. If I walk past mine it activates.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Its supposed to respond to movements, so im not sure if u can turn off a key feature.

You can turn off gestures, so if the sensor picks you up it wont activate the screen.. But thats up to you

Posted via the Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

If you put it into Driving mode or Dock mode it should quit the on screen display

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Its supposed to respond to movements, so im not sure if u can turn off a key feature.

You can turn off gestures, so if the sensor picks you up it wont activate the screen.. But thats up to you

Posted via the Android Central App

I disabled the moto active display and it went away. I will try that for awhile and see if it affects anything.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Yes, moto display doesnt act predictable while driving.
It seems to come on randomly but I was able to consistently get it to wake up on a hard stop(which actually wasnt that hard).
Wonder what the sensors are seeing then it just wakes up for no reason sitting in the passenger seat. No bumps, notifications nor turns, just wakes up.
I have a real hard time believing them when they say it wont activate in pocket or purse. If you just wave it side to side or walk by it, it wakes up. Maybe the technology just isnt there yet.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I have a real hard time believing them when they say it wont activate in pocket or purse. If you just wave it side to side or walk by it, it wakes up. Maybe the technology just isnt there yet.

The phone has three IR sensors to monitor movement but it also has a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor. It's the same sensor that's used to determine that you're holding the phone to your face during a call to keep the display off so you don't touch the end call button with your face by mistake. It also works to determine that the phone is in a pocket or bag.

Also, Moto display "breathes" periodically to show unread notifications or to show the unlock icon. Put it down on a table face up and walk away for a while and you will see if "breathe" on and off.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Thanks,
But what is waking it up while sitting fixed in the passenger seat. The device isnt moving and no notifications occurred to make it wake up.

Is the internal accelerometer or gyroscope doing this..?

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I notice the same thing. I have no idea why the Turbo is "waking up," but I don't believe my Maxx suffered from the same problem.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

You can turn it off in the settings on the Moto app.

Do you mean disable active display completely?
I like the idea of the active display but the inappropriate activation is frustrating.

As an aside, I put it in my top shirt pocket pocket and I can see it repeatedly activate. I thought somehow it would 'know better'... I feel like I have to look at it every time it activates to check if a notification set it off...sorta frustrating.

Anyway, I posted over at motorola forums and maybe Ill get some clarity. I dont want to return the device just yet...

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I think it's called Moto Display. I turned it off, because it kept coming on every time it moved.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

That's what it's *supposed* to do.

Hi doogald,
I put the device in my shirt pocket and it also activates consistently. B/c of all of the sensors, there is no way this device stays dormant in bag/pocket.
I think it has to do w the accelerometer/gyroscope etc rather then sensors but I am totally guessing...I have no idea what in there...

I am officially beating a dead horse, I know.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

I have the sensor turned off as far as looking at it and it constantly throws up the clock notifier screen. I work for UPS and leave the phone in my cupholder. Every time I start and stop the truck or hit a good size pothole it senses the movement and turns on. I can say I haven't seen any battery issues with it doing that so it must not use too much power.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

As I said, that's what moto display is supposed to do. Periodically "breathe" to show whether or not you have a notification (just like an led will blink until you power the phone on.) come on if it's off when you move the phone. Come on when you wave if you have that feature turned on. Don't come on if it is in a bag or pocket (because it senses it's pressed against something or sees no ambient light.)

It's working exactly how it's meant to work.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

As I said, that's what moto display is supposed to do. Periodically "breathe" to show whether or not you have a notification (just like an led will blink until you power the phone on.) come on if it's off when you move the phone. Come on when you wave if you have that feature turned on. Don't come on if it is in a bag or pocket (because it senses it's pressed against something or sees no ambient light.)

It's working exactly how it's meant to work.

if I get a notification, the active moto display will blink every 5 sec until i check it. Is that the way everybody else's device is? I tried to set it so it would only blink twice and stop but that feature i dont think is possible with moto display...

One other thing I noted is that the device will wake up continuously if its laying flat in the passenger seat while driving. This is even w/o any signif accel/deceleration
BUT if I put it semiupright in the cupholder there is ZERO activation.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

if I get a notification, the active moto display will blink every 5 sec until i check it. Is that the way everybody else's device is? I tried to set it so it would only blink twice and stop but that feature i dont think is possible with moto display...

One other thing I noted is that the device will wake up continuously if its laying flat in the passenger seat while driving. This is even w/o any signif accel/deceleration
BUT if I put it semiupright in the cupholder there is ZERO activation.

I'm not sure if it's 5 seconds but it will flash on and off showing the type of notification. That is normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21