I should never have "upgraded"

RichTurbo

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Here's my initial list of complaints after one day with the phone, three trips to the Verizon store, and about 6 hours on the phone with Verizon tech support.

There is no way to sync bookmarks from my laptop to this phone. Google apparently has not figured out how to sync across multiple devices. Verizon tech support advised me to use a third party ap. I got my bookmarks on my phone using Xmarks, but there are no folders in Xmarks, just a long list of hundreds of disorganized links. This is nuts.

I can't figure out any way to create bookmark folders in the Chrome browser on this phone. Maybe there's a way but it's not intuitive and I couldn't find an answer online.

You can't talk on the phone and surf the net at the same time. Are you kidding me? My old Droid X could do that. I remember the commercials years ago where they bragged about that and rubbed Apple's face in it. Verizon tech support told me there will never be a fix. That's a giant step backwards.

No tethering. I had Easy Tether on my old phone and it worked flawlessly. It cost ten bucks, I used it for years. I could connect with a cable and avoid wireless hacking. Verizon tech support confirmed that the phone can't be tethered without signing up for Mobile Hotspot at $10 a month. Very cool Verizon, you've found yet another way to screw your customers.

When I first attached the phone to the computer nothing happened, the computer did not acknowledge the phone. I waited a long time on hold and got a person who was so stupid they couldn't even understand the problem. They told me they were switching me to "Tier 2" which entailed another very lengthy wait on hold. I spent about half an hour with a Verizon tech support guy who couldn't figure it out. He put me hold to call Motorola tech support. While on hold I figured it out myself (USB connection settings are hidden in the Storage menu). I waited 20 minutes for the tech support guy to get back on the line. He told me Motorola couldn't figure it out either. I told him how to fix it and he thanked me profusely for doing his job better than him.

I saw nothing but rave reviews before my purchase. No one mentioned these (what I consider to be) major flaws. Had I known all of this I would never have bought the Droid Turbo.

Last edited:

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Were the Bookmarks in Chrome? Or a built in browser such as with HTC? If you didn't have your bookmarks in chrome, I used an app for previous phones called My Backup Pro that did the trick.

Your complaints about voice/data and Easy Tether are not unique to the Turbo unfortunately. You are likely have those issues with any 2014 Verizon phones.

Sent from my Moto X

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to sync bookmarks from my laptop to this phone. Google apparently has not figured out how to sync across multiple devices. Verizon tech support advised me to use a third party ap. I got my bookmarks on my phone using Xmarks, but there are no folders in Xmarks, just a long list of hundreds of disorganized links. This is nuts.

Chrome automatically syncs bookmarks with your Chrome account. What is easier than that?

You can't talk on the phone and surf the net at the same time. Are you kidding me? My old Droid X could do that. I remember the commercials years ago where they bragged about that and rubbed Apple's face in it. Verizon tech support told me there will never be a fix. That's a giant step backwards.

There is a fix coming. This is due to the advanced calling mumbo jumbo - short version is there is a software updated required for each device in order to regain this functionality.

No tethering. I had Easy Tether on my old phone and it worked flawlessly. It cost ten bucks, I used it for years. I could connect with a cable and avoid wireless hacking. Verizon tech support confirmed that the phone can't be tethered without signing up for Mobile Hotspot at $10 a month. Very cool Verizon, you've found yet another way to screw your customers.

Not really specific to this device but if that is important then it is probably worth the charge for it. Otherwise, using the more everything plans includes tethering by default.

When I first attached the phone to the computer nothing happened, the computer did not acknowledge the phone. I waited a lont time on hold and got a person who was so stupid they couldn't even understand the problem.

Again not this device - but for future reference, when you're connected pressing the notification also opens those settings.

I saw nothing but rave reviews before my purchase. No one mentioned these (what I consider to be) major flaws. Had I known all of this I would never have bought the Droid Turbo.

It does sound like your experience sucked - sorry to hear that. Most (if not all) of these are the carrier or just things universal to the software and are not specific to the device - which is the bad news: just about every upgrade will have these same issues out of the box.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Bookmarks are syncing in chrome for me and haven't even had to think about syncing for quite a while. (Years)

Talking and browsing... This has been mentioned to be corrected by the end of the year. In the meantime use WiFi while you're talking.

Tethering works fine for me and is included in most plans. I can't speak for yours.

USB: I myself couldn't figure out what you were trying to do here either. I can get files transfered multiple ways without issue. I'm glad he thanked you profusely for doing his job better than him though.

The phone does have a 14 day return policy so you're not stuck with it by any means. Bring it back and get something you can figure out how to use.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's my initial list of complaints after one day with the phone, three trips to the Verizon store, and about 6 hours on the phone with Verizon tech support.

I can't figure out any way to create bookmark folders in the Chrome browser on this phone. Maybe there's a way but it's not intuitive and I couldn't find an answer online.

When I first attached the phone to the computer nothing happened, the computer did not acknowledge the phone. I waited a lont time on hold and got a person who was so stupid they couldn't even understand the problem. They told me they were switching me to "Tier 2" which entailed another very lengthy wait on hold. I spent about half an hour with a Verizon tech support guy who couldn't figure it out. He put me hold to call Motorola tech support. While on hold I figured it out myself (USB connection settings are hidden in the Storage menu). I waited 20 minutes for the tech support guy to get back on the line. He told me Motorola couldn't figure it out either. I told him how to fix it and he thanked me profusely for doing his job better than him.

You spent all that time trying to figure everything out, make a complaint post here...why didn't you just ask here? You got an answer to every complaint in no time. These points are so important maybe you should have asked when purchasing the phone ;)

Nome of your issues were related to the particular device.

Simultaneous voice/data was explained in all the reviews before the phone was even available. Its not broken, they used the technology to support VoLTE knowing it would be implemented soon. So you didn't really read the reviews in depth.

Computer tethering is the same on every android device. All it takes is a check off.

Chrome auto syncs bookmarks. If you're looking to make a new one, simply click the star next to the navigation buttons. From there you can rename the bookmark, and create/select your folder. Simpler than that?

And Verizon screwed their customers on the tethering, not the droid turbo.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is not syncing automatically or manually or any way at all. After spending nearly an hour with Verizon tech support they advised me to use Chromemarks.

When you are logged in to your Google account in Chrome on the desktop, go to this page: chrome://bookmarks/#1

If you see everything there, then the only step should be logging into Chrome on Android. If something is missing then it probably is an issue with locally stored (not tied to the account) bookmarks or they could be stored in another application, in which case the import wizard should help: chrome://settings/importData

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Not to sound like a jerk and if I'm wrong I'm sorry but I think we have a troll here. He only has 2 posts and it's in this thread but had a droid x and this is the first phone he is posting about I find that hard to believe. Like I said if I'm wrong I apologize just seems a little fishy to me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not to sound like a jerk and if I'm wrong I'm sorry but I think we have a troll here. He only has 2 posts and it's in this thread but had a droid x and this is the first phone he is posting about I find that hard to believe. Like I said if I'm wrong I apologize just seems a little fishy to me.

No idea if you're right or not but we like to give folks the benefit of the doubt and try to help whenever we can.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
That's the best part about this forum. It gives people a place for help. But if it is someone trolling it hurts the community and makes it harder to get help if there's people trolling for reactions.

RichTurbo

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
When you are logged in to your Google account in Chrome on the desktop, go to this page: chrome://bookmarks/#1

If you see everything there, then the only step should be logging into Chrome on Android. If something is missing then it probably is an issue with locally stored (not tied to the account) bookmarks or they could be stored in another application, in which case the import wizard should help: chrome://settings/importData

My bookmarks are there at chrome://bookmarks/#1 on my laptop. I am logged onto Chrome on my phone, there are no bookmarks. chrome://settings/importData works on my laptop but on my phone I get a message saying "The webpage does not exist." Also, on my laptop Chrome has an "Import/Export bookmarks to an HTML file" function. I exported my bookmarks to an HTML file but unfortunately Chrome on my phone does not have an import bookmarks function, at least not that I can find.

RichTurbo

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
That's the best part about this forum. It gives people a place for help. But if it is someone trolling it hurts the community and makes it harder to get help if there's people trolling for reactions

I am not trolling, just venting. If my posts bother anyone let me know and I'll go away.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Not bothersome at all. Like I said if I'm wrong I apologize. Truly the last thing I want if for someone who truly wants and needs help to leave and not get it. I also hate to see anyone stuck with a phone they hate or aren't happy with. Just cause I'm happy with this phone doesn't mean it's meant for everyone.

RichTurbo

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

I never had any reason to post about my Droid X. I never knew of this forum until this morning. It seemed like the appropriate place to post. I guess not.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok on Android Chome hit the three dots and select bookmarks. That typically opens Bookmarks > Mobile Bookmarks. Click the gray word "bookmarks" and you should see folders. Is there a "Desktop Bookmarks" folder?

RichTurbo

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Not bothersome at all. Like I said if I'm wrong I apologize. Truly the last thing I want if for someone who truly wants and needs help to leave and not get it. I also hate to see anyone stuck with a phone they hate or aren't happy with. Just cause I'm happy with this phone doesn't mean it's meant for everyone.

Well I'm out. I'd delete the thread if I could figure how to do it. No need for any other responses. Have a great day.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

When I first attached the phone to the computer nothing happened, the computer did not acknowledge the phone. I waited a long time on hold and got a person who was so stupid they couldn't even understand the problem. They told me they were switching me to "Tier 2" which entailed another very lengthy wait on hold. I spent about half an hour with a Verizon tech support guy who couldn't figure it out. He put me hold to call Motorola tech support. While on hold I figured it out myself (USB connection settings are hidden in the Storage menu). I waited 20 minutes for the tech support guy to get back on the line. He told me Motorola couldn't figure it out either. I told him how to fix it and he thanked me profusely for doing his job better than him.

Supposedly there will be a software update within 30-60 days that will enable voice & data.

I don't have the Turbo yet but on XDA they are reporting that both USB and bluetooth tethering are working using foxfi/pdanet.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It is not syncing automatically or manually or any way at all. After spending nearly an hour with Verizon tech support they advised me to use Chromemarks.
Did you specifically sign in to Chrome? Not just add you Gmail or Google account to the phone, but also signed in to Chrome via the settings menu in Chrome?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy