DROID Turbo vs DROID Maxx - Upgrade or Stay?

acole10000

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to honestly say, I like the size and feel of the Maxx. It is a tad bit smaller and not quite as "slippery" as the ballistic Turbo. I have had the Turbo for three days and I think I am going to stick with my Maxx -

• The battery is essentially the same
  • The higher screen resolution is a non-issue - I am not into games or movies on my phone
    [*]+ The camera is much better on the Turbo
    [*]+ Yes the Turbo has some massive power but do I need that for phone calls and email
    [*]+ Turbo charge is cool but I never have run out of power on the Maxx
    [*]- The lack of colored email notifications is a major drawback
    [*]- Totally dislike the the stock gmail app, the motoemail app on the Maxx was perfect for multiple exchange accounts
    [*]- The larger size is a drawback
    [*]- I liked how the Maxx always landed on the center screen, the Turbo goes to the screen all the way to the left.
This is a tough call, Dont get me wrong the Turbo is shweet...but not enough here to warrant the move, those who have the Maxx already have a massively powerful/great phone - I will wait for the next greatest device - Am I missing anything

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have made your mind up with good reasoning.

The bigger battery to me just evens out the differences between the phones, both still have great battery life.

I do like having the new snapdragon in the turbo, between that and the screen some people have called the turbo "future proof" just meaning that while lollipop will go to both phones, the turbo will prob be able to handle the ever present smaller updates, you know the dot dot ones.

Either one is good, i did have to put a thin case on mine because the nylon and smooth edges were just too slick for me, but then i had a bumper on my maxx, just to protect the buttons and i liked the raised edge so the phone never sat w the face down w the screen touching.

Its up to you, the maxx is a good phone, but i would think the turbo, despite is differences will grow on you..

I came from a note3 to the turbo, so the turbo feels a lot smaller lol

Posted via the Android Central App

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Good thread. I have the Maxx and was curious to see if it justified upgrading to the Turbo, but I don't see big difference as stated. I have the 32GB Maxx and my wife has the 16GB Maxx, so this would be the only reason for me to get the a Turbo so I can give her my 32GB version of the Maxx.

Posted via Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Turbo vs Maxx - Upgrade or Stay?

They are both really good phones, I got my daughter and Maxx over the summer and she loves it. But I can tell the turbo. is faster.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Go with the phone that is best for you - you're the one that uses it on a daily basis plus there is always something coming down the pipeline.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I will be staying with the Maxx. I have never had a day were the Maxx did not last till I went to bed. Turbo charge is nice but I charge my Maxx while I sleep every night and wake up with a fully charged phone. The Maxx' s camera is not nearly as good as the Turbo, I am ok with that.
My main reason for staying with the Maxx is the ability to make calls and use data at the same time. I use the GPS all the time while on a call. And there are many time my caller will say "I just sent you such-and-such. Take a look". With the Turbo I am loosing this ability. The software fix that is coming will only give me what I already have but with limitations.
For me I will stay with the Maxx and keep my eyes open for the next great phone.

JMHO

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Go with the phone that is best for you - you're the one that uses it on a daily basis plus there is always something coming down the pipeline.

Thats what i did w my note3. Its a great phone but i didnt use the extra stuff on it as much so i went back to the droid line, it seems to suit me better n everyday use.

Also, im glad that motorola got away from releasing a phone, like the original razr then shortly after release the maxx version lol..

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

The lack of colored email notifications is a major drawback

Explain this one, what's different?

Posted via Android Central App on my VZW Note 3

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm staying with the maxx, too, but only because the turbo isn't worth paying over $600. The Maxx is more than good enough for another year. That said, if the Maxx breaks then I'd probably get a new turbo rather than something used.

The Gmail app is one of my most used apps. I forward all my accounts to my Gmail address. The stock email app on the Maxx is awful, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to the new Gmail app that allows you to access other accounts.

I've used Nova prime in the past and if having a center screen home page was important I'd just used that. The stock Maxx launcher always crashed on me anyway - that was the reason I started using Nova. If I had a turbo, though, I'd probably still not use the stock launcher. I'm not sure what they point is of having a launcher that acts like the Google now launcher without Google now. It's odd that they just didn't use the Google now launcher as stock.

acole10000

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Explain this one, what's different?

On the Maxx, the email client was a Motorola version not the gmail client. When you create an account the account gets a color code. When emails arrive, the notification bar show a colored coded enevlope based on which account it came from.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Voice and Data will come once VoLTE is enabled on Verizon.

It will come. But I would recommend checking out the threads of people who have it now. There are quite a few problems with dropped calls when switching towers. Let's hope they get it working before all the Turbo owners have the same issues. I have shut it down for now and still have data and calling at the same time.

JMHO

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I have to honestly say, I like the size and feel of the Maxx. It is a tad bit smaller and not quite as "slippery" as the ballistic Turbo. I have had the Turbo for three days and I think I am going to stick with my Maxx -

• The battery is essentially the same
  • The higher screen resolution is a non-issue - I am not into games or movies on my phone
    [*]+ The camera is much better on the Turbo
    [*]+ Yes the Turbo has some massive power but do I need that for phone calls and email
    [*]+ Turbo charge is cool but I never have run out of power on the Maxx
    [*]- The lack of colored email notifications is a major drawback
    [*]- Totally dislike the the stock gmail app, the motoemail app on the Maxx was perfect for multiple exchange accounts
    [*]- The larger size is a drawback
    [*]- I liked how the Maxx always landed on the center screen, the Turbo goes to the screen all the way to the left.
This is a tough call, Dont get me wrong the Turbo is shweet...but not enough here to warrant the move, those who have the Maxx already have a massively powerful/great phone - I will wait for the next greatest device - Am I missing anything

I like the way you colored your pros and cons for the device. Now let me digress:
(1) No idea what you mean by colored emails.
(2) I assume you mean stock email app when you wrote stock gmail app because Gmail gets updated by Google through the play store. I actually disabled my Moto email app, however, Google Inbox is coming, which hopefully will be the best app for handling multiple email accounts.
(3) Size wise, it is too similar for me to consider larger, we're talking a centimeter or two.
(4) Landing on the home screen in the center, I'm sure there is a way to choose your default homesceen location on the stock launcher, I personally use Nova Launcher, which I highly recommend for users to give a try.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I am still using my MAXX. For exchange email, try Nine. I switched to it from the stock email client and it is great.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

On the Maxx, the email client was a Motorola version not the gmail client. When you create an account the account gets a color code. When emails arrive, the notification bar show a colored coded enevlope based on which account it came from.

Thanks for explaining. I only had one email account in my moto app.

Posted via Android Central App on my VZW Note 3

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Keep the Maxx. Honestly I can't see any great difference. That said, i always want th latest and greatest (within reason) so I did go from the Maxx to the Turbo, though I'm not seeing any added features that I have used.

acole10000

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Keep the Maxx. Honestly I can't see any great difference. That said, i always want th latest and greatest (within reason) so I did go from the Maxx to the Turbo, though I'm not seeing any added features that I have used.

Exactly....The Maxx is such a great device but part of me needs my fix of new...

acole10000

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

(3) Size wise, it is too similar for me to consider larger, we're talking a centimeter or two.

The size difference is significant - When you hold the Maxx, it is slim and sleek and the kevlar is oh so comfortable. The Turbo Ballistic is sexy as all getout but it is just enough larger to be too big.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I do like this on my Maxx HD. Green light is text message. Blue light is K9 mail, white is Gmail, red is comcast mail, etc. However the Turbo's notification comes up with icons indicating if it's Gmail, other email, text messages, voicemails, etc. Pull your phone out of your pocket and you see the time and the notification icons. Hey, you have a Gmail. You can then tap on the Gmail icon and it will give you a preview of the email message, if you want to read it you swipe up. With the Maxx HD (and I presume the Maxx) you have to power up the screen, pull down the window shade to see the notification then tap on it to see what it is. Furthermore, if you like, you can hand wave over the display of the Turbo and it will show you the notifications.

Here's some other stuff I'm looking forward to doing:

[Droid Turbo is sitting on the table, asleep] "OK Google, How old is Demi Moore?"
[Maxx is sitting on the table, asleep] Pick up phone. Power on the screen. Swipe up from the app drawer icon. "OK Google, how old is Demi Moore?"
----
[Droid Turbo is in your pocket, you want to take a picture] Pull Turbo out of pocket, quickly twist wrist, pull phone up so you can look at screen. Take picture. Looks pretty good.
[Maxx is in your pocket, you want to take a picture] Pull Maxx out of your pocket. Power on screen. Tap on the camera icon. Pull phone up so you can look at screen. Take picture. Looks OK.
----
[Droid Turbo is in the other room, you are working on your PC] Text message comes in. Window pops up on your PC alerting you to the text. You read the text and respond using your PC's keyboard. You don't touch your Droid Turbo.
[Maxx is in the other room, you are working on your PC] Text message comes in. LED notification light starts winking green. You don't even know you have a text message until you go into the other room and look at your phone. When you discover you have a text, you power up the phone, pull the window shade down, tap on the notification, read the text message, then respond using phone keyboard.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante