The Droid Turbo Camera Quandry

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey not trying to disrespect but have you ever taken a class in photography? I find my turbo does pretty well for my carry on.

Posted via the Android Central App

No, I haven't taken a photog class. I guess no disrespect back, but that shouldn't be a prerequisite to having a camera phone that takes non blurry pics. As I've said numerous times, if I wasn't able to get such amazing shots on my MAXX, it might not seem like a big deal, but when my dog is slowly walking thru the living room (in perfectly fine light) and I snap the shot, and it thinks for a second or focuses on god knows what, and processes either a blurred photo, or the dog out of frame, that's not really acceptable.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
It's ironic but I seem to be able to take great shots with this camera. Occasionally I get blur, but by habit I always keep the phone steady for a few extra moments after the shot. This usually works fine. I have not, however, attempted to take many in-motion shots, so I'm not sure how that does.

It does horrible.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No, I haven't taken a photog class. I guess no disrespect back, but that shouldn't be a prerequisite to having a camera phone that takes non blurry pics. As I've said numerous times, if I wasn't able to get such amazing shots on my MAXX, it might not seem like a big deal, but when my dog is slowly walking thru the living room (in perfectly fine light) and I snap the shot, and it thinks for a second or focuses on god knows what, and processes either a blurred photo, or the dog out of frame, that's not really acceptable.

My wife has a maxx and it takes OK pictures but indoors not well, lots of grain. I myself have never been able to take action shots with a camera phone. I had an LG g3 before this and the camera was just a small step above this turbo imo.

Symthic

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The camera isn't bad as much as it is inconsistent. Some photos look incredible, others are blurry, dark, noisy messes. It's primarily an issue with indoors shots. If we could choose the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture, this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The camera isn't bad as much as it is inconsistent. Some photos look incredible, others are blurry, dark, noisy messes. It's primarily an issue with indoors shots. If we could choose the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture, this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

^^ THIS ^^

Perhaps Lollipop will give us the ability to do this, if Moto updates their camera software. Otherwise I might try Camera FV-5.

And the word inconsistent could apply to any Moto device's camera, at least the three I've owned.

quantum tao

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

^^ NOT THIS ^^
I want point and shoot and get decent pics. I don't want to fiddle fart with settings every time I want to take picture. if I wanted to be a photographer I would buy a dslr.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
^^ NOT THIS ^^
I want point and shoot and get decent pics. I don't want to fiddle fart with settings every time I want to take picture. if I wanted to be a photographer I would buy a dslr.

Yes, you will need a dslr if you want to get clear, sharp pictures in low light indoors without flash.

Cap'n Crunch

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Turbo for about a week and find that I cannot take a picture of our Christmas tree. The auto focus does not know what to do with the angle. And the same thing happens no matter what tree I aim at. Very frustrating.

quantum tao

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Really? No comparison whatsoever? So on a sunny day the Icon will "blow away" the Turbo?

that's the point, there shouldn't have to be the perfect conditions to take a photo. i'm not saying you cant take a great picture with the turbo. I am saying that a great picture from the turbo is not as good as a great picture from a pureview nokia i.e. Icon/930/1020, I use the icon as example because it is the same megapixel as the turbo (1020 would not be fair since its 41mp).

I am confident that the camera will never be as good, the hardware is not going to change. but hopefully we will see some improvements in software to at least make it fun to take pictures again, because right now its frustrating.

I know they have to be working on it, but i am a little worried that it possibly could be unfixable. why would they release it like this?
seems to be a common theme with manufacturing today, rush it to market, then straighten it out later. everything is beta (including ourselves).

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The pictures of anything not absolutely still are basically garbage. If this was for sure the final camera with no hope for an update, I would sadly return this otherwise awesome phone. I'm worried because when I wrote to moto their reply basically said this problem was not a problem. So getting useable photos with my older madel MAXX and getting garbage with the Turbo isn't a problem?

And I'm sorry, you shouldn't need the stars to align perfectly and every lighting, shade, and object to be "just so" to have higher than a 20% picture success rate. The lengths we have to go thru are laughable. Turn on or off flash, turn off HDR, keep phone absolutely still, focus on something other than the object, allow a second for the object to lead itself into frame when you hit the photo button, take 17 rapid burst shots, and delete 16 shots and boom...there is your pic!

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My tree, my puppy, neither one was moving. Just sitting on the couch, nothing special, point and shoot, no flash, another happy turbo owner.

Attachments

• 11752.jpg
    11752.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 29

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe read some of the complaints that deal with "moving" objects, not static ones. Curious how happy you will be. Unless everything you plan to shoot is going to be absolutely still, then i suppose you will be thrilled.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe read some of the complaints that deal with "moving" objects, not static ones. Curious how happy you will be. Unless everything you plan to shoot is going to be absolutely still, then i suppose you will be thrilled.

Do you own a Motorola droid turbo? If you do may I inquire why you purchased a product that you obviously didn't research much ? There is a 14 day window you can return the phone with no questions asked. Everybody happy , Happy Holidays!!

Posted via Android Central App

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Do you own a Motorola droid turbo? If you do may I inquire why you purchased a product that you obviously didn't research much ? There is a 14 day window you can return the phone with no questions asked. Everybody happy , Happy Holidays!!

Posted via Android Central App

Maybe you can tell me how to research a product prior to release? I suppose there was the EXTREMELY misleading Motorola description "a powerhouse 21 mp camera at the flick of your wrist so you don't miss any of the action" or the glowing reviews over pictures of a toy on a desk, or a flower. No where in almost 6 months of research, dating back to when the phone was known as the quark, did the specs list "a painfully slow shutter speed that challenges capturing motion up close in even the best of conditions!"

I mistakenly thought the turbo would Improve on the maxx camera, not regress. My mistake. and besides the 14 day window I have tried contacting Motorola numerous times and can't seem to get a straight answer if lollipop will indeed improve the camera. so hopefully that answers your questions first why I'm still not satisfied with this phone, apparently along with many others, but I'm not quite yet ready to give up on it because I've also said numerous times that everything else about this phone is great and if it is indeed a software issue with the camera we can hope it can be improved or fixed

Happy Holidays!

Last edited: