Potentially returning Droid Turbo - Options?

d12d

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in the Verizon subforum but this gets more activity and does deal with the Turbo so here goes.
I switched 2 lines from Tmobile to and upgraded an existing Verizon line last Sunday to the Droid Turbo. I really like the Turbo but there are a few things that bug me(low call volume, looks like back is begging to fray, and a couple of minor things). For all 3 lines I traded in old smartphones and received a $100 gift card. I know they mentioned I have 14 days to exchange for a $35 fee. That's pretty straightforward but what if I just want to return the phone? I am thinking of waiting until the Nexus 6 comes out and deciding between that and the Note 4. Can I just pay the $35 give my phone back and use an old phone for the time being? Also for both cases returning and exchanging what happens to the $100 gift cards I received? One of the lines also purchased a lifeproof case for his turbo, can this be returned as well?

I was going to and likely still will go into Verizon and see what they have to say but I figured you guys probably know more than they do. Thank you for any help you guys can provide!

flackberry

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to return for the $35. Hey they have to pay someone to put it back in the box. If they give you **** just tell them you are in your 14 day return/exchange period.

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
This is a timely thread as I'm curious about this as well. I'm actually enjoying the Turbo and will likely keep it but I am curious about this topic in case I make a rash decision and decide to get the Nexus 6.

I have four lines on family more everything with edge. So they all get the discount. The two turbo lines were an edge up. If I decide to return this and use an old phone temporarily until the Nexus 6, will I still be able to keep the line discount for all four lines (which is -$25 off for each line). According to a rep at the Verizon store I should be able to, but I'm curious if anyone knows. Does it require all four lines to always be on Edge in order to maintain the discount? I would then either get the Nexus 6 on Edge when it arrives at Verizon or just buy it full price on Google Play and just insert my Verizon sim into the phone.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
This begs an even bigger question. Assume you have no "old" phones at home. I traded in my Droid Maxx last week to get this Turbo(which by the way I am very happy with) on an early edge program. I previously was still under contract for 1 more year on the MAXX, but not on edge. VZW rep spent a lot of time talking about the 14-day return period. My understanding from them is that the 14-day return is like nothing ever happened, no questions asked, return the phone. How does VZW make it "right" if now I have no phone because it was traded in? they cannot give me my traded in phone back, or do they somehow hold them at the store for 14 days before doing whatever with them?

Just curious, as I have never gone down the road of trade-in before.

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
This begs an even bigger question. Assume you have no "old" phones at home. I traded in my Droid Maxx last week to get this Turbo(which by the way I am very happy with) on an early edge program. I previously was still under contract for 1 more year on the MAXX, but not on edge. VZW rep spent a lot of time talking about the 14-day return period. My understanding from them is that the 14-day return is like nothing ever happened, no questions asked, return the phone. How does VZW make it "right" if now I have no phone because it was traded in? they cannot give me my traded in phone back, or do they somehow hold them at the store for 14 days before doing whatever with them?

Great question as that is exactly what I did. The only difference is that I do have an old phone I can use if needed. Curious to hear if anyone has an answer.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Great question as that is exactly what I did. The only difference is that I do have an old phone I can use if needed. Curious to hear if anyone has an answer.

Yea, why should you have to use an "old" phone when you traded in a perfectly good phone(in my case the droid maxx)? The only old phone I have left laying around the house is an original Blackberry storm. Not like I'd ever re-activate that.... Saving it though to possibly edge up my daughters phone to the turbo, and get the $100 rebate.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
As someone looking at this phone I guess the corollary question is do you have to claim the rebate and trade in the old phone at the time of purchase or can you do the rebate later, like after 14-days when you're sure to keep it? I only have one phone to trade and I'll need it if I return the Turbo.

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
As someone looking at this phone I guess the corollary question is do you have to claim the rebate and trade in the old phone at the time of purchase or can you do the rebate later, like after 14-days when you're sure to keep it? I only have one phone to trade and I'll need it if I return the Turbo.

I was told that if you edge up online, you have 14 days to mail back your current phone. If you perform the edge up program in store, you have to give them the old phone at the time of the edge up.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I was told that if you edge up online, you have 14 days to mail back your current phone. If you perform the edge up program in store, you have to give them the old phone at the time of the edge up.

Assume it's probably the same for on-contract upgrades, which I would be doing. Was also wondering if you can postpone claiming the rebate during the 14-day period.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
This is a timely thread as I'm curious about this as well. I'm actually enjoying the Turbo and will likely keep it but I am curious about this topic in case I make a rash decision and decide to get the Nexus 6.

I have four lines on family more everything with edge. So they all get the discount. The two turbo lines were an edge up. If I decide to return this and use an old phone temporarily until the Nexus 6, will I still be able to keep the line discount for all four lines (which is -$25 off for each line). According to a rep at the Verizon store I should be able to, but I'm curious if anyone knows. Does it require all four lines to always be on Edge in order to maintain the discount? I would then either get the Nexus 6 on Edge when it arrives at Verizon or just buy it full price on Google Play and just insert my Verizon sim into the phone.

The line discount is for phones on a EDGE contract or phones you own [prepaid or off contract]. So if you completed a 2 yr contract or paid retail for the phone you want use you should have the line discount.

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
The line discount is for phones on a EDGE contract or phones you own [prepaid or off contract]. So if you completed a 2 yr contract or paid retail for the phone you want use you should have the line discount.

Thanks for the clarification. Does it actually state that anywhere on the Verizon site? The reason I ask is that AT&T actually advertises that you can also bring your own phone with its discount program but I have not seen Verizon do the same. Every where I see it noted on Verizon it always states the discount is if you have the lines on EDGE.

vzwdj

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know what happens to the $100 discount that was received for the trade in? I am assuming you can't get your old phone back, and it was applied in the store to the price of the phone...will you get that as a credit or will you just lose that?

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know what happens to the $100 discount that was received for the trade in? I am assuming you can't get your old phone back, and it was applied in the store to the price of the phone...will you get that as a credit or will you just lose that?

I'm assuming they will likely refund that back as a Verizon gift card since you can't get the phone back. I don't see that they would have any other options as a cash refund for that is unlikely.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. Does it actually state that anywhere on the Verizon site? The reason I ask is that AT&T actually advertises that you can also bring your own phone with its discount program but I have not seen Verizon do the same. Every where I see it noted on Verizon it always states the discount is if you have the lines on EDGE.

I am not sure where and if it is on Verizon's website. Probably on one of those pages you have to have a tracking dog to find. I saw the press release and a couple articles at the time of the change. Do a Google search for Verizon line discount for off contract phones. I know some people who have it. You have to ask for it, Verizon will apply it automatically. Here is one article of several returned from the Google search Verizon to give discounts to customers with off-contract phones | iMore

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure where and if it is on Verizon's website. Probably on one of those pages you have to have a tracking dog to find. I saw the press release and a couple articles at the time of the change. Do a Google search for Verizon line discount for off contract phones. I know some people who have it. You have to ask for it, Verizon will apply it automatically. Here is one article of several returned from the Google search Verizon to give discounts to customers with off-contract phones | iMore

Thanks, I found it here: MORE Everything - MORE Everything Plan

Verizon is slick though as they don't explicitly state that anywhere visible on the site. Even some of the Verizon store reps think you need to be on EDGE to get the discount.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Currently on more everything plan 30gb.
Recievimg $50.00 credit for two lines out of contract, no edge phones on my account

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Good question. I'm thinking about going down this route too. I have an old Bionic so I was hoping to re-activate that and trade that in. I'm not interested in trading in my Maxx. I'm curious if I'd get the old phone back if I returned the Turbo.

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Good question. I'm thinking about going down this route too. I have an old Bionic so I was hoping to re-activate that and trade that in. I'm not interested in trading in my Maxx. I'm curious if I'd get the old phone back if I returned the Turbo.

You definitely won't get the old phone back as they likely already shipped it to a third party to be sold/refurbished, etc. So its definitely a question that needs to be answered for those that don't have an old phone they can use in the interim before getting another phone.

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I called Verizon. I was told that you have three options:

1 - Exchange for a new phone

2 - Activate an old phone on the line (if you have one)

3 - Leave the line without an activated phone

Option 3 is surprising because I thought there always had to be a phone attached to a number. So it sounds like there are options for people if you are willing to be without a phone. It would be interesting if someone else calls to confirm this information as well to see if its consistent from different representatives/store employees.