Do older chargers work with the Turbo?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
My dad and I were in a corporate store today so he could buy a Turbo. The rep told us that you shouldn't use the older chargers with the Turbo because they don't know when the battery is fully charged and will just keep pushing power to the battery implying that it would damage it. He said something like "It has to do with the charging 1.0 vs 2.0 protocol or something like that." I wasn't aware that the chargers had a brain like that.

Is this a real thing or just the case of another clueless store rep?

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure all chargers keep pushing power to the device, and the device cuts it off. You should be able to use any usb charger, but the charger that comes with the turbo will charge it faster hence the name "turbo charger".

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Right. I suggested to him that it was the phone's decision to stop charging, not the chargers. He said that wasn't the case. I decided it wasn't worth arguing with him.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Moto X 2014 comes with a standard charger but will accept turbo charging. Not a battery expert but based on this the 1.0 vs 2.0 sounds like BS.

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If it were true the Turbo would, by law, require a Warning Label stating that using a normal charger could damage the battery. Ask him to show you the label...;)

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 is designed to interoperate with existing USB charging solutions. To achieve full charging speeds, a Quick Charge 2.0 enabled device must be paired with a Quick Charge 2.0 certified adapter.

"The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so.".

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
My dad and I were in a corporate store today so he could buy a Turbo. The rep told us that you shouldn't use the older chargers with the Turbo because they don't know when the battery is fully charged and will just keep pushing power to the battery implying that it would damage it. He said something like "It has to do with the charging 1.0 vs 2.0 protocol or something like that." I wasn't aware that the chargers had a brain like that.

I've used nothing BUT older charges so far in the first week. Haven't even ripped the plastic off the Turbo charger year.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Phones know when to stop accepting a charge. It's been that way for a while. It's a shame what customers are told in stores. Plug it in to anything that produces standard USB power and you're off to the races with no worries. I've gotten to where I just leave my Turbo charger at home. Would rather carry it in my brief case, but thats tight quarters, and the charger is biggish (if the could have at least made the plugs foldable, that would have helped)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463