I think I am the first person to use the screen replacement. Phone may feel solid but buy a case!

xshare

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Oops. Bought it Thursday morning - broke it Tuesday night. Link to picture (combine the parts sans quotes, I don't have enough posts to actually post links):

"imgur .com / vMjqeCU.jpg?1"

How I broke it
I took it out my pocket and dropped it flat on the back on concrete. I don't think it actually hit on the glass at all (though hard to tell), but I guess the concussive force was enough to completely destroy the glass. I've dropped my S3 from similar heights on similar surfaces in similar ways plenty of times and it's never broken like this. The glass was actually very shattered to the point where it would cut my thumb a bit if I went over it wrong and I got a little piece of glass in there once. The phone still worked fine and I was able to use it until the screen replacement arrived.

How Screen Assurance Worked
You don't have to go to the store. I did, just because it's on my way home and I figured it'd be easier. They took down all my info and put in the Screen Assurance request. I assume I could have done this from home too. I was overnighted a "like-new" droid turbo in the mail. The phone is too new for this to be a refurb, so I assume it's just an OEM new phone. Now I have to mail back my old one. Motorola Migrate did a great job of moving most of my stuff over.

Hot take
Verizon's Screen Assurance FAQ says that there isn't anything special about the phone that is causing them to do offer this. I'm not so sure, I can't believe the screen broke that easily... but I guess it does happen occasionally so maybe this was just the perfect storm. We'll see in the coming weeks if anyone else has issues with this. For now, I'm gonna buy a case!

Any questions re: my broken *** Droid Turbo?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think for every hundred people that say I like my phone naked about 40% of those will end up getting a case after first oops. Two guys I work with both said they hate cases and will never use them, until they ended up with a cracked screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I have dropped my phone hard 4 times now without issue at work. But I use a otterbox case at work. Glad your phone is being fixed.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure everyone is different, but I can see myself more likely to drop my phone pulling it out of my pocket than out of a holster on my belt (where it presently resides). Thus, I will remain naked. Phone-wise. Not me, personally.

Glad to hear of your good experience with the replacement OP.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My friend accidentally hit my phone out of a movie cup holder two days ago when he was trying to tap my leg to get my attention. It hit the ground, falling face down extremely hard- like smashed onto the hard floor. I was positive it was cracked and that there would be some damage elsewhere, but amazingly there was no sign of anything, except near where the volume and power button are, it opened up a little bit, but it snapped right back in, so there's literally no damage. My phone is naked, and I was completely surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2