Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo WiFi and data usage concurrently?

El Ver

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Anyone notice that when you are connected to WiFi, you are STILL connected to mobile data? How do I get my Droid Turbo to disconnect mobile data when activating WiFi, and reactivate data when disconnecting WiFi? Only noticed this problem as I was analyzing my data usage over a 2 day period.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: WiFi and data usage concurrently?

There's an app called WiFi Matic (the one by Prados - there are several with similar names) that will do this. It also turns off WiFi when you don't need it, which save a little battery.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Anyone notice that when you are connected to WiFi, you are STILL connected to mobile data? How do I get my Droid Turbo to disconnect mobile data when activating WiFi, and reactivate data when disconnecting WiFi? Only noticed this problem as I was analyzing my data usage over a 2 day period.

So I'm not crazy? There is a serious problem with this (otherwise awesome) phone! Some of you may have unlimited data still, but I was forced to give it up a while ago, and this has increased my data usage 3-fold!

Disabling "Avoid poor connections" might help, but I've still seen the problem with this enabled. I'd lodge a complaint with Verizon in case you are overcharged for data usage...

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Just curious, how can you tell? My phone does the same thing as my old Razr HD, when I connect to wifi, it still shows the 4G LTE symbol next to the mobile network.

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Data needs to remain on to send/receive MMS messages.

birdtownmom

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

Same problem here:
WiFi is enabled
WiFi is connected
Mobile Data is "on"
"Set mobile data limit" is selected
"Alert me about data usage" is selected
Set upper data limit to "45 MB" (I have 250MB plan per month. I've used droid phones for years, and always had a low data limit, so I'm accustomed to using just 5MB of data usage per day.)

Two strange things happen:
1. It appears that I'm connecting to the wifi from home. There is no change in the amount of data usage on my settings screen. I do not pass the 45MB limit that I've self imposed.
2. Verizon says that I'm using large amounts of data, and I've used over 160MB since I've had the phone for the past five days, though my phone screen says I haven't gone past 45 MB.

When I turn OFF the data while I'm at home, it appears that I actually am using the wifi and Verizon doesn't show that I'm using data. However, when I have the data turned ON at home, it neither uses the wifi, nor does it the Turbo device record the amount of data that I'm using.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

So when you are connected to WIFI your 4GLTE symbol is lit up white ? When on WIFI it and the meter should be grayed out . Have you tried doing a factory data reset yet ? You shouldn't panic yet .

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I've noticed this same thing. It really pisses me off because I'm already at 90% of my data usage and the cycle starts over on Saturday. I didn't notice it at first, but now when I'm at home in wi-fi, i'll have to turn data usage off. Never had this problem with any other phone.

birdtownmom

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

While connected to WiFi, the 4G is grayed out in the icon tray. (or whatever it's called at the top of the screen)
Verizon 2nd tier Tech Support asked me to turn off wifi, forget the old connection, wait 10 seconds and reconnect the wifi.
Also asked me to disable the poor connections.
We'll see if this does the trick.
Yesterday it billed me for 30+MB of data as I was sleeping at 3am.

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

The AutomateIt app works good for this. Problem is some thing like visual voicemail will only run when mobile data is active. I think that's why it stays on standby in the background.

jimlupi

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

anyone definitively resolve this problem? Im blowing through data. Verizon has been little help but is sending a referb phone replacement. If there is a fix Id rather do that than take a referb.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Has anybody checked is settings /Wifi, tap the menu control bottom right (three dots), tap advanced. Is "Keep WiFi on during sleep" set to Always, Never, or Only when plugged in? If it isn't set to always, the phone drops WiFi when the phone is sleeping (i.e., when the display is off but the phone is still on). You may also want to uncheck "avoid poor connections", as the phone could switch to mobile data if it thinks the WiFi connection is poor, such as when you're at the edge of your WiFi range.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

See also http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/462269-data-usage.html#post4062619 Similar issue

Edit: Post from wheelerpr in the data usage thread.

"I just got off the phone with Verizon. It's a known issue with the DROID Turbo where is tracking wifi data as network data.

The guy I talked to said they have had so many calls that they are not even transferring people to tier 2 tech support anymore. It's flagged in their system and they are working with Moto to get a fix pushed out.

The guy I talked to also said I would not have to pay any data overages, but I asked him to note that in my account anyway. He also scheduled a follow up call with me towards the end of my billing cycle so he can credit back any overages. I suggest you all call and do the same thing.
"

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This.

I've noticed this same thing. It really pisses me off because I'm already at 90% of my data usage and the cycle starts over on Saturday. I didn't notice it at first, but now when I'm at home in wi-fi, i'll have to turn data usage off. Never had this problem with any other phone.

It shouldn't make you mad.. If you're on wifi it is using wifi and not your data plan.

Last edited:

w9awx

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I think it is amazing that 3 of our phones have used 1-2g and we just happen to have one phone with over 6g of data usage. Is there a way to shut the data off to this one phone, other then on the phone itself?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

6 gigs of Mobile Data while connected to WiFi? That's like days of continuous of Netflix streaming - most people can't use up 6 gigs if they try even without WiFi. Something is seriously wrong with that phone. - Verizon should replace it and credit your data plan.

mctigued

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

Verizon told me that it was a known issue and that Motorola was working an update. They gave me the work around from a tech lead that they say will work. Disconnect from WiFi, put phone in Airplane Mode, reconnect to WiFi and remove Airplane Mode. Should only have to do it once until the software update arrives.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Not if you're using Verizon Messaging app, somehow they got it to receive/send with out needing network data or wifi turn on.
I was testing because I wanted to toggle Data off to save battery, with Verizon Messaging I can now set my phone to turn data on only when screen is on and still get MMS at any time.