Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You just made my point. If "older verizon android phones" had an issue they had a fallback capability (handoff to legacy systems) and didn't just drop in progress calls which now regularly happens because of sketchy (falsely marketed) LTE coverage (either that or the end user is forced to shut off that same promoted function while also giving up simultaneous voice & data unless they're connected to WiFi) . If AC HD calling is in it's infantcy shouldn't a supposed premier flagship device at least not regress in functionality of legacy hardware?

Like I had said though, when the first reports of battery life on VoLTE came out, it was something around half of what straight CDMA voice was getting. So which would you rather have, some dropped calls and reduced simultaneous voice & data, or half your battery life?

And they could have held off until they solved that issue, but just working on it in limited numbers means it'll take longer to mature the tech. I remember similar complaints when they went from analog to digital, and from 1X to 3G. And remember all the issues when they introduced the Thunderbolt, Charge, and Revolution? Considering they released them like that, just doing testing isn't going to give you the whole story. The fact that this phone couldn't do simultaneous voice & data was known before they launched it, so its not like they dropped this on us after we got it. If you're going to go with bleeding edge tech, it's not always going to be smooth sailing.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Like I had said though, when the first reports of battery life on VoLTE came out, it was something around half of what straight CDMA voice was getting. So which would you rather have, some dropped calls and reduced simultaneous voice & data, or half your battery life?

And they could have held off until they solved that issue, but just working on it in limited numbers means it'll take longer to mature the tech. I remember similar complaints when they went from analog to digital, and from 1X to 3G. And remember all the issues when they introduced the Thunderbolt, Charge, and Revolution? Considering they released them like that, just doing testing isn't going to give you the whole story. The fact that this phone couldn't do simultaneous voice & data was known before they launched it, so its not like they dropped this on us after we got it. If you're going to go with bleeding edge tech, it's not always going to be smooth sailing.
They (verizon) assured potential purchasers that AC was going to be delivered to correct the simultaneous voice & data.
About battery life, the decision was made to put in the IMO overkill resolution display which is no big gain from 1080. and isn't that why they tout the massive battery with 48hr usage life?
To answer you, I want the flagship phone I purchased to be supported, not put aside as verizon concentrates on finding ways to get $'s pushing their next version of sliced bread.
Also some regulatory agency should be looking into all carriers claims of coverage. Right now every carrier claims to be the fastest with the most coverage

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They (verizon) assured potential purchasers that AC was going to be delivered to correct the simultaneous voice & data.
About battery life, the decision was made to put in the IMO overkill resolution display which is no big gain from 1080. and isn't that why they tout the massive battery with 48hr usage life?
To answer you, I want the flagship phone I purchased to be supported, not put aside as verizon concentrates on finding ways to get $'s pushing their next version of sliced bread.
Also some regulatory agency should be looking into all carriers claims of coverage. Right now every carrier claims to be the fastest with the most coverage

Yes, they did assure people of that, because that was the plan all along. Does it feel like a step back? Sure. Many times when switching technologies, there are temporary drawbacks to moving forward. Case in point, when they made the switch from analog to digital, there was an issue with cutting out. Analog may not have been as clear as digital, but in low signal areas, you simply heard static on the line. You could still hear what the person was saying in most cases, it just wasn't as clear. When digital came into being, instead of a bit of static, the person on the other end cut out completely, so you ended up with unintelligible conversation until the signal got better. We still have that issue to this day, and many people have said they preferred how it worked in analog.

Another issue is signal range. Analog CDMA could travel in some situations up to 50-60 miles. When they switched to digital that range became shorter, with 3G even shorter, and now with LTE it's shorter still. A level 2 tech I talked to put LTE's range at less that 20 miles. Now considering where we were, maybe we should've stayed with analog. But we also wouldn't have high speed data then either.

Yes, they could be put in a lower resolution screen, but I doubt that'd would be enough to overcome a 50% drop in battery life. When these tests were conducted, 1080p was just appearing in handsets. So while a screen with less resolution would've helped, the only thing that would've saved the Turbo was it's huge battery. But most smartphones don't have near the battery capacity of the Turbo or Maxx, so they would've ended up with battery life about the same or less than the 1st gen LTE smartphones. So they came upon this solution. The reason it affects Verizon so bad is that,as I said earlier LTE is a form of GSM. When you drop an LTE call on a GSM carrier, a handoff can be made. But since Verizon and Sprint use CDMA primarily, you're trying to switch between two different types of technology, and that means a dropped call. If you were to switch to a GSM carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile, you wouldn't have that issue, because one radio can handle both voice and data since they're more similar technologies than LTE and CDMA are.

So because others have updated their devices to a 5.0 version of Lollipop, they're more actively supporting their device than just skipping the issues in the earlier builds and going straight to 5.1 like the Turbo is doing? I have been through all the builds sent out to the Nexus series on my N7, and honestly I'm glad they waited to go to a far less buggy build than what they've previously put out. And as far as 5.1 goes, it's just now rolling out to the Nexus series, my N7 still hasn't received it. This rollout has been plagued with more issues than any previous version, but even still, phones are getting updated much faster than they were a few years ago. People always say that if you want quick updates, go with a Nexus device, but even those have been slow to rollout. The first update to my N7 was stopped because it was bricking devices. Fast updates are nice, but having a functioning phone after the update is more important IMHO. I'd rather get a stable build than be a guinea pig and have to go to a backup phone.

I agree, carrier's coverage maps aren't the most accurate. And if you are in an area that isn't covered like they show on the map, they will let you out of your contract at no cost. The problem is with the constant changes made to towers and technology, it'd be pretty hard to keep an accurate signal map, and I'm sure it'd also be expensive as well. And that money has to come from somewhere, guess where that is.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been experiencing to many straight to voicemail calls and phone doesn't even ring. Also, checking the battery stats I find many times, even though the phone shows full bars, I see I am losing Network signal, with phone setting in one place, graph goes from green to red, no rhyme or reason, then back to tan, then green. So, I have called Verizon, chatted with Verizon, twitter with Verizon, FB with Verizon and now I get, oh, You're in a "marginal" area, "even though our map has you in 4G LTE". You need a Network Extender, bull crap, never needed it with other phones now why the turbo? No answer and no explanation. Now, they are completely ignoring me. I don't think the calls to voice mail has any fix.

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Travaz,
I think I remember hearing it takes at least 6 months for a carrier to go through testing on a device once they've been handed the update from Google.

There is little chance we would see an update on the Turbo before fall of 2015. And given the fact the Turbo isn't a flagship phone like the Note it may never get it.

I beg to disagree with you about the Droid Turbo not being a flagship phone.
Its a real shame because the phone is superb, its just that barely anyone has it.

And it WILL get Lollipop, but not anytime soon... Actually, it might get 5.2 Marshmallow sooner...

Posted via Motorola Droid Turbo

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I beg to disagree with you about the Droid Turbo not being a flagship phone.
Its a real shame because the phone is superb, its just that barely anyone has it.

And it WILL get Lollipop, but not anytime soon... Actually, it might get 5.2 Marshmallow sooner...

Posted via Motorola Droid Turbo

The DROID TURBO is very much a flagship in the sense that it's Verizon's flagship device. Heck, they're the only one really doing the carrier exclusive line (RIP to Sprint's Evo and Epic lines, T-Mobile's myTouch and G lines).

Motorola's flagship is the Moto X.
Samsung's flagships are the Galaxy S6, S6 edge, Note 4.
Etc. etc.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
What's this "marshmallow" that people keep talking about? And what about it makes it worth waiting for?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

jjjmmm

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
This is probably the last comment I will make until we hear some tangible updates from Verizon or Motorola.

We are rapidly approaching 6 months since this phone was released.

I bought it when I re-upped my 2-year contract. Regardless of when Lollipop is released, in 18 months I'll likely be buying a new phone if history repeats itself. The odds that it will be a Motorola or something exclusive to Verizon are decreasing a little bit every day as both companies refuse to update us on the status of this flagship device.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
By the time marshmallow comes to the turbo I will be well into my next phone

+1000

Not to say the Turbo is a bad phone because it is not. But it still has its shortcomings, no different than any other device. I've actually been using my 6 Plus the last few days and its pretty amazing the difference between the 2 operating systems. iOS just flows like water, very smooth for me and I've not had any serious bugs in 8.3, at least nothing a quick restart won't fix which I've only needed to do twice. I do like the customization of the Turbo but I can't say I do much of it. On my Turbo I've installed Nova and I use Textra as my messages app, other than that everything is stock but my Contacts and Chrome apps keeps crashing. I do however love the Motorola notifications. Nothing like a glance at your locked screen and take care of notifications without the screen coming on. I would like to see OEM's incorporate that feature in Android across the board.

I can say that I also agree with jjjmmm, this will be the last device I lock myself into with a carrier. This is my second Motorola device (first was a '13 Moto X) which is darn near my favorite phone (OG HTC Incredible is my favorite by a country mile) to date, but I'm ready for something different. I've never had LG, hmm...... :)

Cidman0123

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
other than that everything is stock but my Contacts and Chrome apps keeps crashing.

I had the contacts issue as well. From some digging its linked to Google+ app. I've disabled it on my phone and haven't had a single 'contacts has stopped working' since. I've read others being fine with just uninstalling updates.

On topic: I need lollipop to fix these infuriating wifi issues! Also, its kind of funny to read the motorola owners forum for the Turbo, right now they're discussing the possibility of a class action lawsuit due to lollipop not being out yet for the Turbo.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I had the contacts issue as well. From some digging its linked to Google+ app. I've disabled it on my phone and haven't had a single 'contacts has stopped working' since. I've read others being fine with just uninstalling updates.

Interesting. I didn't know that, will definitely give a look. Thanks!!

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

On topic: I need lollipop to fix these infuriating wifi issues! Also, its kind of funny to read the motorola owners forum for the Turbo, right now they're discussing the possibility of a class action lawsuit due to lollipop not being out yet for the Turbo.

The latest update fixed this issue for me after I uninstalled updates, uninstalled, and reinstalled.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

Cidman0123

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled updates and reinstalled, first call I got the contacts stopped working popped up. Its definately Google+ for me, I just don't get why it hits some and not others. I'll be disabling it again.

warrusty

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I recently received the Lollipop upgrade to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and don't notice any real performance differences. What improvements in performance can we expect for the upgrade to our Turbos? If Lollipop in its present form is buggy, is it a bad thing that we haven't received Lollipop yet for the Turbo? It is the feeling that Verizon isn't keeping us "up to date" that owners are upset about?

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I recently received the Lollipop upgrade to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and don't notice any real performance differences. What improvements in performance can we expect for the upgrade to our Turbos? If Lollipop in its present form is buggy, is it a bad thing that we haven't received Lollipop yet for the Turbo? It is the feeling that Verizon isn't keeping us "up to date" that owners are upset about?
It's more sketchy advanced calling (dropped calls) and calls going directly to voice-mail without any notification at all for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power