Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
What about 5.1 having AC baked in and not a problematic cobbled on patch? It is probably true that the Turbo has systematic hardware issues exacerbated by Verizon's push to have the Turbo be its first device running as an LTE only device. If this path ends up being a big cluster f, and no solution for customers experiencing dropped calls when AC is enabled I WANT A VERIZON PROVIDED DIFFERENT, FLAGSHIP WORTHY NON-EXCLUSIVE DEVICE. I am tired of being a guinea pig while Verizon figures it out

You do know the Verizon G2 got AC before the turbo was even announced, right?

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Does the G2 have a single antenna setup like the Turbo?

The G2 was released in late 2013, so no. The Droid Maxx also is single antenna and has AC, but I've never tried it since I had already switched to the Turbo when it got the update.

I have AC disabled, mostly because I'm in an area of sketchy LTE signal quality, but also because we have Network Extenders in our home and AC and Network Extenders don't work well together. Basically, every call that's made while on the NE, whether it's M2M, peak, or off-peak, is duplicated as a separate call (at least in the billing) and all of those duplicate calls are billed as peak. What you end up with is, essentially there are no free M2M, Nights & Weekends, Friends & Family calls, all are billed as peak, and any calls that would be considered peak are double billed. That led to some huge bills on our share plan with UDP. There was supposed to be an update to fix this, and it was supposed to be out middle of April, but so far nothing. So it isn't only the Turbo update they're dragging their feet on.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The G2 was released in late 2013, so no. The Droid Maxx also is single antenna and has AC, but I've never tried it since I had already switched to the Turbo when it got the update.

I think you meant that the droid maxx is not single antenna. You can get simultaneous voice and data on standard CDMA calls. You don't need volte to get simul voice and data like you need to on the turbo, 2014 moto x, nexus 6, and iPhone.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think you meant that the droid maxx is not single antenna. You can get simultaneous voice and data on standard CDMA calls. You don't need volte to get simul voice and data like you need to on the turbo, 2014 moto x, nexus 6, and iPhone.

Correct, I meant it's also a dual antenna. They didn't start the single antenna trend until 2014. If it wasn't for the battery life deficiencies using dual antennas and VoLTE, I'd imagine they would've stuck with it. And with all they invested in AC, there was no way they were going to hold off on deploying it and hope they came up with a better solution. They would've taken a big loss if they had.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
With the Turbo's battery being the size that it is the device probably could have been designed and released with dual antennas and still have acceptable battery life. They knew it would never get the 48 hour life they promoted. With dual antennas the AC could have been tested and it could have worked when it (AC) had problems. Pushing the technology before it was viable without any contingency plan was disregard for the customer.

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I understand the Galaxy S6 is having major issues with Lollipop. When the update does come out I am going to wait a month to see if others are having good luck with it. Its easy to wait but hard to deal with phone issues with no fix in site.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
If the update is anything like previous ones you can only postpone for a little while. I don't think you can push it out a month without constantly babysitting so it doesn't push it to your device.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to generalize issues that might happen from Samsung or other OEMs. They have all that proprietary stuff and Motorola has little of it, and almost all of that they've already done on L for the Moto X, 6 months ago.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If the update is anything like previous ones you can only postpone for a little while. I don't think you can push it out a month without constantly babysitting so it doesn't push it to your device.
The update can't forced onto your phone. If it can, it's news to me.

ZONGMAN

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
So I got the latest news update, droid turbo is just going to skip lollipop and wait for the next update sometime the year after next. Turbo lag...

Vrrroooom pssshhh! *Droid Turbo posting sound*

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The update can't forced onto your phone. If it can, it's news to me.

OTAs will ask to update as soon as they are downloaded (and they are pushed to your device, you don't pull them.) You are given the choice to either install now or later; if you choose later, every day from then on you will be prompted to install, and I have read that it eventually it will just start the install (I'm not sure how long that is, but apparently it always eventually happens.)

[edit] One way to prevent the install is to keep your battery below 50%. The phone will not update unless the battery has over 50% charge...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
OTAs will ask to update as soon as they are downloaded (and they are pushed to your device, you don't pull them.) You are given the choice to either install now or later; if you choose later, every day from then on you will be prompted to install, and I have read that it eventually it will just start the install (I'm not sure how long that is, but apparently it always eventually happens.)

[edit] One way to prevent the install is to keep your battery below 50%. The phone will not update unless the battery has over 50% charge...
Well, that is news to me; I didn't realize you had no control over the OS version installed on your phone. :-(

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I will say that I am not wanting for anything with this phone other than a better camera.

That said, I bought this phone in mid October and it's staggering to me that we are now in May without Lollipop.

What would Verizon customer service say if a Turbo owner called in and wanted to switch phones early without penalty in order to switch to another device. Are they under any obligation in our two year agreements to provide timely updates? Do customers have at a minimum a right to gripe about false promises?

Please don't give me a fan boy response.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
With the Turbo's battery being the size that it is the device probably could have been designed and released with dual antennas and still have acceptable battery life. They knew it would never get the 48 hour life they promoted. With dual antennas the AC could have been tested and it could have worked when it (AC) had problems. Pushing the technology before it was viable without any contingency plan was disregard for the customer.

The battery capacity on the Turbo isn't that much higher than it was on the Maxx. The Maxx had a 3500mAh battery, and the Turbo has a 3900mAh battery. You're not going to see a night and day difference between them. In fact, I'd say I get the same, maybe a little less battery life than I did with my Maxx. Now if they had only gone to a 1080p screen instead of QHD, we would've seen a bigger battery improvement between that and the SD805. But they were talking like half the battery life using AC vs CDMA voice. So if true at best you'd probably be looking at a day to a day and a half between charges.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

What if you force stop MotorolaOTA? It will not auto-restart, and if stopped a check for updates will fail (and then succeed in checking if you try a second time). Will the update be pushed to the phone even with MotorolaOTA force stopped?

terroh8er

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
What would Verizon customer service say if a Turbo owner called in and wanted to switch phones early without penalty in order to switch to another device. Are they under any obligation in our two year agreements to provide timely updates? Do customers have at a minimum a right to gripe about false promises?

They aren't obligated to let you switch phones, but if it were me, I'd say something along the lines of: "I was told when I bought the phone that it would be updated soon. I thought buying a Verizon exclusive phone meant that Verizon was going to stand by the products it sells, but apparently you are just out to make a quick buck off of your loyal customers! This is the last straw and I want to make sure I'm not billed for one penny more once my contract is up because I'm switching to AT&T!"

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
What if you force stop MotorolaOTA? It will not auto-restart, and if stopped a check for updates will fail (and then succeed in checking if you try a second time). Will the update be pushed to the phone even with MotorolaOTA force stopped?
I'm of the understanding that the download will happen eventually. Then you can defer for, I think, a day. If you don't keep rejecting each time it decides to prompt, it will begin the installation at which point you're SOL because you are then advised of no calls and do not shut off during process. Anecdotal reports of doing install when person sleeping with phone on charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool