Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo data usage.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: data usage.

I'm pretty much on par with my data usage for this month . I'm not seeing anything different from my S5 when I was unlimited vs my 10gb plan now with the turbo .

Jason Smith28

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I had already reached 75% data usage (1.5 GB) w/in 15 days. This is more than usual, but I attributed it to the Verizon rep forcing me to sign into Google in store and the phone autodownloading all my apps. I hope I don't end up going over this month. I hate calling Verizon.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Normal usage for me. No issues so far.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64G using Tapatalk.

w9awx

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Just talked to Verizon and didn't come away with the feeling that the person I was talking with knew about any issues with the data useage and the Droid Turbo. Our 4 lines are at 10g since November 6th and we use wifi a lot. On Sprint, we used less than 6g a month strictly on the network as they didn't even record the off-network usage. I sure hope there is an issue otherwise I am going to spending a lot of extra money a month we hadn't planned on. They show I've used 10.695g of data so far. Bumped our plan to 15g to be safe. Never used that much data in our entire Smartphone life.

Last edited:

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site

I talked to Verizon last night and they upped my data for the month from 10gb to 15gb for free, and then next month it'll drop back down to 10.

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I've used the phone on the OEM software since receipt and didn't experience the data usage issue. The phone and VZW's tally closely match, though the phone's is a few MB less. However, I did take the new (to me) software update yesterday so will see if that has any effect. When reading part of me wondered whether they had some sort of a glitch in the software and, since most members took the software update as soon as they received their phones, maybe that had some play.

w9awx

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Since Tuesday night, I show that I have gone from 10.695 to 11.335. Is this sound normal for 4 lines?

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Update: Now phone 4G/data usage and VZW usage are disagreeing substantially, on the order of ~110MB on the phone to ~400MB on VZW. The only change was taking the software update that most members likely took as soon as it hit after the phone came out. During the couple weeks prior, the numbers agreed nearly exactly. VZW has a problem and they pushed it, either purposely or accidentally. In my case, I rarely use the data on the road or away from wi-fi so it won't be a marked issue, for now anyway. For others, perhaps a substantial issue.

Ha, just narrowed the range to the period from my last report and the phone reports only 1.96MB of mobile data usage and VZW is reporting nearly 300MB. :eek:

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

My Turbo says I've used 3.9GB since it was activated. Verizon however claims my number has used 9.3GB (minus about 500MB from my Maxx before the Turbo). This is not a small discrepancy. This could be considered fraud if Verizon were to ignore the issue, as I'm paying for 2.5 times the data I had before but I'm only able to use half of it without overages!

It sounds like they may have acknowledged the problem; they had better expedite the software update...

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm convinced the issue is in the update which was pushed to the phones after they were rolled out. I'll leave it to brighter minds to determine who's responsible for such updates and errors. In the meantime, I simply shut off mobile data when I don't need it when on wifi. Takes ten seconds. Works great. I don't have the room for error that other members might have since I have a 2GB single line plan. I worked that number pretty tightly based on general use and VZW's/Moto's errors weren't figured in.

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I show the exact same data that Verizon does over the last two weeks. Crazy that you guys are having issues.

Karl Turbo

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I'm under control now with my replacement phone. Mostly I think it's due to changing options i.e. don't use mobile data even if wifi signal is weak and one or more other "sync only over wifi" options. 1st week on replacement phone (which needed no update as received) 21MB mobile data, 1GB wifi as shown on phone, the 21MB aligning with Verizon's tally pretty closely now. :)

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

FYI, I just got off the phone with Verizon and they confirmed this (all data being transferred is being recorded as cell data) is an issue and are working on a fix. They have a couple bulletins on it. They said a work around for now is to do the following steps...

1) Turn off Wifi
2) Put phone into airplane mode
3) Turn on Wifi
4) Take phone out of airplane mode

No idea what the above does but it supposedly does "something" and is a temporary work around until they get it fixed. The rep said this only needs to be done once. Hmm?

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

FYI, I just got off the phone with Verizon and they confirmed this (all data being transferred is being recorded as cell data) is an issue and are working on a fix. They have a couple bulletins on it. They said a work around for now is to do the following steps...

1) Turn off Wifi
3) Turn on Wifi

No idea what the above does but it supposedly does "something" and is a temporary work around until they get it fixed. The rep said this only needs to be done once. Hmm?
Interesting. I'm anxious to find out if the information provided proves out and particularly, if it's occurring for the reason stated, why it's affecting some users but not others. I use so little data it's hard to be definitive (on WiFi almost constantly) but even this tiny amount reports more than double by Verizon's measurement vs. phone. On my prior Maxx, differences were much less.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Just an FYI...

I set up a task in Tasker to automatically disable Mobile Data when WiFi connects, and to re-enable it when WiFi disconnects. I haven't had much time to test it but it is likely to help. HOWEVER, apparently Verizon Visual Voicemail falls flat on its face if Mobile Data is not enabled, so that is probably a deal-breaker for now.

I will try the workaround recommended by the Verizon rep. Anyone know if reboots would require redoing this sequence?

TundraDome

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Yes, apparently I used 25% of my 2GB in over a day (*not* less than 2 hours as I previously stated - still, I have never surpassed my 2 GB limit ever since I dropped (knew I'd rue the day) unlimited data). I don't think so. Hmmm?

3a46f21c21fe3e29076c662cd5cd4c47.jpg

9dae1b3eb85e311991738341e9414f3d.jpg

Last edited:

NameNotFound

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

1) Turn off Wifi
3) Turn on Wifi

I've tried this and it does appear to be working (for now).

I also called Verizon and was transferred to their tech support. At first they claimed that this is a new issue, but after enough time doing basic troubleshooting, the rep then found other people reporting the same issue (didn't say if they had the same phone or not).

Since my data usage history reflects never using this amount of data in such a small amount of time, combined with what Android shows vs Verizon data tracking, the rep had no reason to think I was making this up. He was cool and upgraded my data plan from 3GB to 10GB for the rest of my billing cycle for free, with it going back to 3GB during the next billing cycle since I don't want to pay an extra $20 a month when my wife and I rarely go over 2GB.

So yeah, anyone having this issue should try the airplane mode toggle listed and give Verizon a call to see if they can work with you to raise your data limit to avoid extra charges.