battery life - If you have not cleared your cache do it.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Just cleared my cache, the clearing process only took 2 minutes for me. Usually after 17 hrs off the charger I would have about 4.5 hrs of SoT and roughly 20% battery remaining, GSbattery estimates that i can get another hour of SoT with the remaining 20%. Lets see if the cache will improve on those numbers.

Robert Jordan1

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I actually practiced this process on my N7 because the LP update turned it into a plastic brick. I redid the clearing process and got past that No Command nag. Will see if the process enlivens the LP blues.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I got the silly No Command icon. Had to volume up for 10 sec then tap the power button to free it up.

When you get the no command do this:
4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key

Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)

7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option

8. The device will then perform the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Mine took about 5 min and did defiantly speed it up on some things DO IT

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Just did this. Definitely noticed the difference. Like I just upped the PSI on this Turbo.

Why is it that clearing the cache this early in the devices life, makes such a difference?

1BlinkGone

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Just for the sake of playing with the 3-wk old Droid Turbo I have, I did this just for grins- not because I had any performance or battery issues. I'm shocked at how much snappier the phone is. WOW. This will become a normal maintenance routine for me. (edit- mine took less than 5 minutes to reboot.)

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
mine took about 5 minutes to clear.

it used up about 3% of the battery in doing so.

is that normal to lose that much % during a 5 minute partition clear?

thanks

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
mine took about 5 minutes to clear.

it used up about 3% of the battery in doing so.

is that normal to lose that much % during a 5 minute partition clear?

thanks
It may or may not have used 3% battery life. Remember, one of the reasons you're doing this is to reset the way your phone is interpreting your remaining battery life. That 3% difference may have been simply a matter of the phone re-reporting a more correct reading of your remaining battery life. Just a guess.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that during the Cache Partition cleaning/clearing process that the phone's system is quite busy and consumes more battery than during most normal day-to-day processes?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible that during the Cache Partition cleaning/clearing process that the phone's system is quite busy and consumes more battery than during most normal day-to-day processes?

I think so. It used to be that clearing the cache partition on recent moto phones was fast; I think Motorola was doing a simple format of the partition. Since the 4.4.4 update on the 2013 phones, and now on the turbo as well, it is taking many minutes. I believe it is crawling the file system to erase, or maybe even secure erase, the files in cache, which would explain the longer time and also heavier battery use.

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
On KK, if you go to settings, storage, cached data, there is an option to clear all application cached data. Is this the same as doing the cache wipe as explained in this thread, or does the cache wipe do more?

Edit: never mind, just read in other thread that settings option only clears the app cache, not the system cache.

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
It took about ten minutes to clear the cache, I've had the phone about a month now. The phones always been quick, but my last HTC m8 seemed faster. Not anymore, the turbo is living up to its name. Looking forward to the battery getting better....