Volume turning itself down?

SatStar1

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Ahhhh! People...you are not alone. It's a bug I think associated with lollipop. I'm 100% sure a bug. I need my music to go steady for my workouts. I'm driven crazy everyday by my phone fighting with itself on volume. I have it wayyyyy worse than yall described. I have note 4 on att also. Whenever I plug in my headphines..the "Media" volume will pop up randomly on its own and cut itself down. I can show u videos. I went as far as to install a volume lock app as a work around. Guess what..it works **** now I see the phone fight with the app..Hahaha I need to do a vid. U will see phone cutting music down while app tries to Muscle it back to locked setting amount. This drives me SOOOOOOO crazy. I was ready to snap and bust the phone as I hear the volume going up and down constantly. I thought it was my Urban Armor gear case. But nope. Took it off and issue still remains. I thought it was certain songs only at first or maybe headphones...but now I realize it's a true bug that needs to be fixed asap. I'm huge on working out and I need the music to zone out. So picture me ready to crush phone in hands because it's throwing me off on my zoning out....Hahaha. so much so I'm considering switching to that big iPhone like my note. But I don't know if they let u install the music to phone from Google. Not trying to stream constantly. Have a 64gb Samsung high speed card in the Note 4. Plus it came with 32gb internal. Alot is my music. I need this volume working right. Now I see why I'm missing calls and stuff also. The other things noticed are correcr. I'm experiencing them all and what I described.

I'm on Note 4 latest att lollipop update. I hate this lollipop bull. Lol smh I told my dad this update won't ish...lol now I'm dealing with all these new bugs. Just give me my kit kat bar back. I like the chocolatw..haha. please help! Sorry for any typos or whatever. Writing this like I'm texting.

If you're plugging something in to the headset jack on your phone then I'm fairly certain this is caused by the plug you're using. The jack on your phone also has a mic connection that is being shorted out by your stereo mini plug. Count the number of rings on the plug, most likely there are 3 connection rings (the tip plus 2 actual rings). One connection is the "shielding" or "common ground". Basically the "-" terminal for both Left & Right. The second connection is the positive "+" for the Left and the third connection is the positive "+" for the Right. The plug you should be using has at least one more connection and that is the positive "+" for the mic. Most smartphone headsets also have a Volume +Up and a Volume -Down that use the positive "+" connections is different combinations to signal the smartphone to increase or decrease the volume. Because your plug does not have a connection ring for the mic "+" and it's being shorted out inside the jack creating the same signal that tells the phone to decrease the volume.
SOLUTION: purchase a headset y-splitter that plugs into the smartphone jack and has two jacks; one for stereo headphones and the other for a mic.
Be careful, there are 2 types of headset y-splitters but only one will work. The other splitter, the one you DO NOT WANT, has 1 plug that splits to give you two headset jacks. Hope this helps...

MyShirtIsRed

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Just gonna ask because it has happened so many tines and I don't know what is going on: has anyone noticed the notification volume turning itself down/unexpectedly lower than last set?
The same thing is happening to me but only when I use the earbuds that I bought the other day.

chw8022

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I've have just read this thread about the volume turn down issue. Boy that has got me some grief over recent months. Where do I find Power Save mode setting. Running 5:1.

Posted via the Android Central App

FM786

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Well I've had my s6 edge for some time now and for a few months ive seen my volume have MAJOR problems. First it used to go and increase the volume and i turn it down but will still continue to go up. Some times it then goes to max volume. But now I'll have my phone mode on sound or vibrate and it will mute the phone to silent and silence the media volume. My version is 6.0.1.
And i have used earphones with volume controls. This occurs on any volume source Bluetooth or just from my phone

Ooonooopdjfi

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Ahhhh! People...you are not alone. It's a bug I think associated with lollipop. I'm 100% sure a bug. I need my music to go steady for my workouts. I'm driven crazy everyday by my phone fighting with itself on volume. I have it wayyyyy worse than yall described. I have note 4 on att also. Whenever I plug in my headphines..the "Media" volume will pop up randomly on its own and cut itself down. I can show u videos. I went as far as to install a volume lock app as a work around. Guess what..it works **** now I see the phone fight with the app..Hahaha I need to do a vid. U will see phone cutting music down while app tries to Muscle it back to locked setting amount. This drives me SOOOOOOO crazy. I was ready to snap and bust the phone as I hear the volume going up and down constantly. I thought it was my Urban Armor gear case. But nope. Took it off and issue still remains. I thought it was certain songs only at first or maybe headphones...but now I realize it's a true bug that needs to be fixed asap. I'm huge on working out and I need the music to zone out. So picture me ready to crush phone in hands because it's throwing me off on my zoning out....Hahaha. so much so I'm considering switching to that big iPhone like my note. But I don't know if they let u install the music to phone from Google. Not trying to stream constantly. Have a 64gb Samsung high speed card in the Note 4. Plus it came with 32gb internal. Alot is my music. I need this volume working right. Now I see why I'm missing calls and stuff also. The other things noticed are correcr. I'm experiencing them all and what I described.

I'm on Note 4 latest att lollipop update. I hate this lollipop bull. Lol smh I told my dad this update won't ish...lol now I'm dealing with all these new bugs. Just give me my kit kat bar back. I like the chocolatw..haha. please help! Sorry for any typos or whatever. Writing this like I'm texting.
OMG that is the exact same problem that I have! The volume goes up and down and back again to where it's completley off or making my ears bleed. Everything is fine till I plug in my headphones.... Then it does the volume thing and it opens google and google music and everything else google related. I turned off OK google but it still happens. I am going to chuck my phone at the wall soon. The worst, most annoying, deafening and maddening bug I've ever come accross.

SnibbleOverwatch

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
My theory: it's a design flaw in the way that volume + track control work through the headphone jack.

My S5 came with a set of headphones that have an integrated control for volume + track control, and I do not seem to have any issues with volume adjusting itself when I use those headphones. BUT, if I have my phone connected through my car audio AUX in or I use third-party headphones, I do experience this problem. My guess is that the controls in the Samsung headphones issue commands to the phone via an extra ground connection in the jack.

The theory is that when using headphones / an AUX line that does not have built-in controls, the phone is misinterpreting small variations in voltage as commands to adjust volume. If you think about it, the variations would be caused by the phone's own power-saving, peaks in the audio for the track being played, etc.

So, basically, my theory is that: 1) it only happens with headphones that do not have integrated controls, 2) that the phone is too sensitive to control signals via the grounding pin on the headphone jack, and 3) small variations in voltage via the grounding pin are being interpreted by the phone as "volume down" commands.

This is my issue. Cheap headphones with no volume controls, only a mic on the left lead. Volume constantly turning down while TRYING to enjoy some music. This needs a fix, badly.

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I started having this problem recently too. I have only noticed it over the past week or so. I have had the phone since around Thanksgiving and I have always used the Moto driving and sleeping options so I didn't think it was that unless they recently updated the Moto app and I didn't notice that. The only other major change I have made is I now have a 360 that is paired with my phone. Has anyone had this issue that also has a 360? Don't know if that's doing anything odd.

My not only turns itself down but it takes control of my Google App my voice button it turn my ringer off its like somebody else has control of it and I don't have my phone. With anything it seems to happen when I had my headphones plugged into it but there just a cheap air of headphones they're not bluetooth or anything like that

Ramjet74

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I experienced the same issue. Very annoying, drives you crazy. As a workaround I have installed an app called Max Volume. It locks the volume of selected channels (eg media). This resolved the issue for me.
I am not associated to this app. Just wanted to share a workaround.
hope this, or a similar app, works for you too.

donhangani

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I have a brand new Samsung S7 edge less than a week old. Everything was working fine until last night when I installed a free gold platinum theme. Almost immediately the volume button went crazy. I Googled the problem and found this forum. However none of the suggestions seemed to fit. So today I uninstalled the theme and the issue is gone. It appears that was the cause at least on my phone.

David Drasher

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Yeah. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

I turn my volume back up and it automatically turns down without me touching any buttons and even on the screen when you slide the bar over as soon as I'd like though i and even on the screen when you slide the bar over as soon as I Let Go it slid all the way back

Ashishkel

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
My theory: it's a design flaw in the way that volume + track control work through the headphone jack.

My S5 came with a set of headphones that have an integrated control for volume + track control, and I do not seem to have any issues with volume adjusting itself when I use those headphones. BUT, if I have my phone connected through my car audio AUX in or I use third-party headphones, I do experience this problem. My guess is that the controls in the Samsung headphones issue commands to the phone via an extra ground connection in the jack.

The theory is that when using headphones / an AUX line that does not have built-in controls, the phone is misinterpreting small variations in voltage as commands to adjust volume. If you think about it, the variations would be caused by the phone's own power-saving, peaks in the audio for the track being played, etc.

So, basically, my theory is that: 1) it only happens with headphones that do not have integrated controls, 2) that the phone is too sensitive to control signals via the grounding pin on the headphone jack, and 3) small variations in voltage via the grounding pin are being interpreted by the phone as "volume down" commands.
I am replying after an year and a half to an old post when people are talking Android N. But be it, you are right 100% I would say. Coz, turning in power saver mode was the only thing I did on my Redmi Note 3, and this weird issue started while on headphones.. You are awesome. Thank you...

F_davis1994

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
I have the LG Stylo 2 and both the volume and ringtone settings has had self control. It likes to fight with me when I change the settings. I really get annoyed by it when watching videos and listening to music. I can't fix it and wish their was a solution to remove this problem. I think it may be a virus.

c shock

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
With other people having it, surely this isn't a replacement issue but a bug....?

My ringer is up yet won't sound and sometimes my phone won't even vibrate. I've missed numerous calls and texts.i was thinking it had to do with the driving mode. At least when I had it activated I would know if I got a call or text. It cannot be the device. Has to be a bug of sorts. I'm not reformatting my brand new phone. I think if you turn your sounds completely off then back up, the notification will come back but for how long, I don't know.

To the Samsung user, it was a known bug with the software etc and they were not fixing it as the phones are outdated. I owned a S5 and also had one that was work issued. Both had identicle issues.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem when working out and always when it's an epic song and I'm hammering it out.

Also the google search listening waiting for me to speak app starts up.

First I thought my sweat was dripping down the ear bud wire into the mic/pause/speak apparatus and causing a short. So I pulled the button plat off and covered it with hot glue, to protect the wires from moisture. That did not work.

And can anyone explain why it only happens when it's an epic song and I'm kicking ***? Is this just Murphy's Law or is big bother from our Orwellian government want to stop people from controlling their bodies with their hearts?

mcruffian

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem when working out and always when it's an epic song and I'm hammering it out.

Also the google search listening waiting for me to speak app starts up.

First I thought my sweat was dripping down the ear bud wire into the mic/pause/speak apparatus and causing a short. So I pulled the button plat off and covered it with hot glue, to protect the wires from moisture. That did not work.

And can anyone explain why it only happens when it's an epic song and I'm kicking ***? Is this just Murphy's Law or is big bother from our Orwellian government want to stop people from controlling their bodies with their hearts?

Could it be sensor-related? Hard movings/shakes could activate some functionality.
Or mic/line out loop on volume or even bpm peaks that make the system try to lower it down by lowering volume...both caused by a bug on a listening app...

ImConfused1

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
This seems to be a long standing problem that is ignored by Samsung. My wife had just gotten the problem in a Samsung Note 3. One solution was to root the phone to access a more detailed setup menu which I found scary. The author said to stop the program that causes automatic raising of ascending ringtones. That lead me to looking at the setup menu I had since that option wasn't there. There were 2 setup items that automatically affected the volume. I found 2 but there may be more. One was settings "adapt sound" which was meant to change the volume to protect hearing when the earphones were plugged in. The other was "Settings-Device-Call-Increase Volume in Pocket". When I turned the first off the problem went a way. My wife has the phone and to see if it will return I think she needs to plug in the earphones because it did not return when I switched the setting back on. I couldn't test test the second choice because the ringer is now functioning. I ended up keeping the pocket one off since the first was for ear safety and the second wasn't. Reading an English manual they have smart volume switch which I am pretty sure my wife's phone did not. Carefully reading the setup menu and and finding and switching off items that do automatic volume control may be a possible way to fix the problem.

Gataluna

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Since I got the new Motorola G4 Play it has been lowering the ring all the time. It will turn down the volume all the way the minute I raise it. Drives me nuts! I also constantly get an 'End Now' message for the DND even though it's turned off. I have the feeling the two issues are connected

LaKia Thompson

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
I have the lg flex and have drive mode app on my phone and the app will silence ur calls 2 prevent u from using ur phone while driving 2 fix the issue turn the app off??????nope

Last edited: