Traveling abroad. Wanna make sure my data is off

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I wanna make sure my data is off to avoid charges (and only use wifi).

Is it as simple as Settings / wireless & networks / mobile networks / make sure data enabled is not checked.

Anything else I need to do? Thanks.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
That being said I don't see the point. When connected to WiFi you should already be disconnected. You can check the status here. Setting / about phone / status / mobile network state should say disconnected.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
4738c95dfa32d7726b7dd1455fcdf05e.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Having recently traveled with a Droid Maxx, the global roaming setting definitely works. Verizon also has an international travel plan for reduced call and texting rates and 100 mb of data for $25 a month, which you can turn on for your trip and then turn off when you're home, in case you want phone and data for an emergency.

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So I just got here and realized by having my data turned off, I can't use the phone for calls -there's just no service.

I thought there was a way of distinguishing data for apps and just regular phone service? Am I wrong?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So I just got here and realized by having my data turned off, I can't use the phone for calls -there's just no service.

I thought there was a way of distinguishing data for apps and just regular phone service? Am I wrong?

Well, it depends where you are, but as long as you're in a place that uses GSM (like europe), the phone has GSM radios, so it should work. Settings / More.... / wireless & networks / preferred network type. Make sure that it's global or LTE/GSM/UMTS.

Unless there's some sort of weird networking bug. In that case, you should still be good with global roaming turned off.

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Weird because it is set to global but still not working. I'd call Verizon for help but my phone doesn't work haha. Gonna try emailing. Thanks.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe try turning off mobile data but turning on roaming? Shouldn't be this way, but maybe the data roaming setting is also affecting voice roaming?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay