Broken Droid Turbo

kazronaldson

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Got a Droid Turbo ballistic nylon version 5 days ago. Super excited about it, already had the otter box defender so I could put the case on it as soon as I could. First impressions were awesome. Great display and everything just seemed very smooth. Almost everything. I noticed the front facing camera was very glitchy. Anytime it wasn't very bright, and I mean very bright, the camera would lag and make it impossible to take a clear picture. It wouldn't even let me take a video because the quality was so bad. The front facing camera would work fine when i aimed it directly at a light source. I have no idea why this was happening and was a big problem in my eyes. I was hoping a patch would be released to fix it.

Anyways, just last night my Droid Turbo fell out of my pocket probably about 2 feet onto a wooden floor. Keep in mind this is in an otter box defender as well. The entire LCD under the glass broke and went shot. I repeat, the LCD under the glass or whatever it is, not the glass itself, broke. The phone was instantly unusable. The screen looked like something out of a horror film. Phone could not be navigated in any way, nothing was displayed on the screen except green and white splotches and mostly blackness. I am obviously very upset because no phone should break this easily. I have dropped iPhones with no cases and haven't had something like this happen. I now I have to use my one free replacement. But now I am worried it will happen it again. The phone is completely unmarked as well as the case, looks perfect, except for the LCD under the glass. Doesn't it seem sketchy that Verizon offers a free screen replacement for this phone? They have never done that for anything else and my phone just happens to break in the first few days of having it... I'm hoping I just got a defective phone.

The verizon rep mentioned that the otterbox could have been too tight on the phone since the ballistic nylon back is thicker than the kevlar back. Maybe? Does anyone have a case recommendation that is specifically for the nylon version since the nylon is slightly thicker??

Anyone else have the front facing camera issue or have their phone break yet?

Last edited:

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I've dropped mine onto our hardwood floors 3 or 4 times now and don't havens single mark on it. It's all luck with a glass screen. Doesn't matter if it's a Turbo, Nexus or iPhone. If you're really worried about it you can probably get the replacement and return it being you haven't had the phone for 14 days.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It really is just luck. The wrong angle will crack any screen. The right angle you could drop it out of a moving car and be fine.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Not sketchy at all, HTC provides one free screen replacement for the M8.

I'm am very surprised that it could have cracked in an otter box commuter.

The phone seems pretty solid to me. Probably would have replaced it via warranty replacement if I had the same camera issue though. Either way I'm sure big red will take care of you (1/2 sarcasm)

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I dropped mine several times without issue. Most recently today it fell caseless face down on tile fr about 3 feet AMD was fine. Its luck. I also surprised to hear it broke in a otterbox.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Chalk me up as another surprised is broke in the otterbox. However, I've dropped mine a few times caseless and I have ceramic flooring, not even a scratch around the bezel yet. It really sucks that happened though, it's just poor luck at the end of the day.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Today. Naked with a screen protector. Got knocked out of my hand by my dog, flew 6 feet horizontally, smashed into the wall (think it hit backside, happened too quick to be sure), dropped 4 feet vertically, landed on its face on hardwood. No issues. Tada! Its all in the impact angle i.e. luck.

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind, the screen is elevated on this phone. The screen is the first point if impact when it lands face first. The tiniest speck of rock or dirt or glass or food on the floor can cause just enough pressure to cause the screen to crack.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind, the screen is elevated on this phone. The screen is the first point if impact when it lands face first. The tiniest speck of rock or dirt or glass or food on the floor can cause just enough pressure to cause the screen to crack.

Well, these phones do have GG, so let's not get crazy with the "Don't even touch the screen or it will shatter!" talk.

As others have said, it's all about the angle. It's odd that one of the under screen layers would break, but if the phone had a corner impact, I can see that being enough angular force to crack the AMOLED. But, I don't think it is a product of the design. It is definitely luck. Mine fell from my lap in the car, took a 2 foot tumble all the way down to the door jam, and came out unscathed (no scratches, bezel damage, etc).

Megan Bogany

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Did they fully replace the screen for you without any issues? I had this happen to me this morning, but I have a hairline crack as well and I was wondering if they gave you any issues with it being the LCD and not the glass.

kazronaldson

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, but I was able to get it replaced with minor issues. Apparently when mine broke, I was when of the first ever to break it haha. So Verizon personnel hasn't been trained yet with the procedure on what to do. I kept getting sent back and forth between Verizon and Motorola reps until finally one Verizon rep was able to help me. Sent in my phone, paid for 8 bucks for 2 day shipping, had it by the end of the week

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney