Something's not right. I should be able to text and call, right?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
This is the message I get when I'm on a call and open the stock SMS program. I mentioned this in a thread about VoLTE and thought I was told text does not use data, and as such ths should not be a problem. What am I missing?

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
This is the message I get when I'm on a call and open the stock SMS program. I mentioned this in a thread about VoLTE and thought I was told text does not use data, and as such ths should not be a problem. What am I missing?

[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/hal1/Screenshot_2014-11-23-08-11-23_zpse5d9993b.png[/URL]

Yes, you can. That's just a popup that will come on anytime an app that has access to the internet is opened while on a call. Texting will go through fine...only MMS is still handled on the network so it cannot send nor receive MMS while you're on a call (even on WiFi). I am desperately awaiting VoLTE, those popups on almost every app are extremely annoying lol.

Posted via the Android Central App - Moto X (2nd Gen)

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you can. That's just a popup that will come on anytime an app that has access to the internet is opened while on a call. Texting will go through fine...only MMS is still handled on the network so it cannot send nor receive MMS while you're on a call (even on WiFi). I am desperately awaiting VoLTE, those popups on almost every app are extremely annoying lol.

It seems you're right, kind of. I can write a message but it doesn't seem to send until after I end the call.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It seems you're right, kind of. I can write a message but it doesn't seem to send until after I end the call.

Strange. I've always been able to text while on a phone call on Verizon.. Even when I had a flip phone 6 years ago. A plain text should have no problem going through WiFi or not.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Verizon messages and never get this pop up. It can also send and receive over WiFi if you're out of cell range.

I do on Verizon messages, as I do with almost all apps while I'm on a call and not on WiFi.. so does my brothers and friends Turbo.

Attachments

• 3057.jpg
    3057.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 42

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Its because Verizon has mandated all it's phones move to a single antenna setup, most likely to accelerate adoption of VoLTE. If you could still do simulaneous voice and data, would anyone really be that anxious for it? Some would want to try out HD voice sure, but now they've got everyone who uses or might use simultaneous voice and data chomping at the bit to get on VoLTE. I think they learned their lesson from when they switched from analog to digital cellular, that took years to switch over.

Just my theory but it makes sense.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Its because Verizon has mandated all it's phones move to a single antenna setup, most likely to accelerate adoption of VoLTE.

Do you have evidence for that statement or are you just guessing? I was thinking it was more because single antenna designs are more battery and cpu reliable, and cheaper, so manufacturers are just building them this way. Buy, I'm just guessing...

You can do volte without a single antenna design.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you have evidence for that statement or are you just guessing? I was thinking it was more because single antenna designs are more battery and cpu reliable, and cheaper, so manufacturers are just building them this way. Buy, I'm just guessing...

You can do volte without a single antenna design.

Notice the last sentence, it's my theory. I realize that there are battery advantages to using a single antenna, and that VoLTE can be done with a two antenna setup, but this is also the carrier that brought us the HTC Thunderbolt and Galaxy Nexus. With their LTE footprint being less than their CDMA, and no way to handoff to 3G if you move out of an LTE area, why go to a single antenna setup this early in the game? They've essentially moved back to the days before LTE when carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T could tout their ability to do voice and data simultaneously, which at the time Verizon couldn't do. We just took a step back 3 years in terms of functionality. And I have to wonder, we've been running a CDMA and LTE antenna in phones for 3 years now. We had no trouble getting decent battery life with phones like the Maxx and others, why change it now? Speaking as someone who may never live in decent LTE coverage in rural South Dakota, they'd do better to make sure their LTE footprint is at least as large as their current CDMA footprint is before moving on from CDMA. Otherwise we may find ourselves forced to look elsewhere for service. And I doubt I'm alone there, since techs I've talked to mentioned that LTE has a shorter range than CDMA. So more towers would be needed to achieve even the same coverage as what we have with CDMA.

Another factor may be that the sooner they get everyone onto VoLTE, the sooner they can move everyone onto a tiered data plan. I was talking with a tech the other day and apparently that's the plan. The reason he was forthcoming about it was that our Network Extenders are going bad and he mentioned that if I was ever thinking of switching, that they wouldn't work elsewhere, which I already knew. IMHO Verizon would be more worried about getting their new technology in everyone's hands and killing off unlimited data than making sure we have better battery life. But again, that's just my theory after dealing with Verizon for 17 years.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You do know that all of these phones can do voice on cdma and data on EVDO, right, even with a single antenna connection? The *only* thing missing is simultaneous voice on cdma and data on LTE. Everything else works just the same. There is still 3g data, there is still even 1xRTT data. You make it sound like the phones can't make calls or access data outside of lte. They definitely can. They can make calls and access data everywhere that last year's Droid Maxx could - just not at the same time, yet. Maybe phones in several years will ship without cdma, but the turbo still has it.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to understand your reply. You act as though I don't understand the fundamentals if how a smartphone works on Verizon.
Yes I know VoLTE can be done on both single and dual antenna phones.
Yes I know it saves battery having only one antenna.
Yes I know they can make call outside of LTE.
Yes I know they can access data outside of LTE.
Yes I know the Droid Turbo still has capability to connect to CDMA networks.
EVDO and CDMA aren't separate things. Both 1xRTT (2G) and EVDO (3G) are data transmission standards that are a part of CDMA technology. Just like EDGE and HSPA are data transmission standards that are part of GSM technology.

The WHOLE point if this was about SIMULTANEOUS voice and data. Something phones like the Turbo, Moto X 2014, Nexus 6, and others going forward won't be able to do until they support VoLTE. And considering the issues many seem to be having VoLTE aka Advanced Calling, they should have waited until it was more mature before stripping away simultaneous voice and data out of the box. Three years ago, we had the ability for simultaneous voice and data when they launched LTE. All of the devices from then to now had dual antennas. But now that they're starting to roll out VoLTE, they've stripped out one antenna, making it a data or voice, but not at the same time, which puts us functionally back to before LTE was launched. They shouldn't have tied simultaneous voice and data to VoLTE. They should've kept VoLTE separate until it was working as well as CDMA voice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to understand your reply. You act as though I don't understand the fundamentals if how a smartphone works on Verizon.
Yes I know VoLTE can be done on both single and dual antenna phones.
Yes I know it saves battery having only one antenna.
Yes I know they can make call outside of LTE.
Yes I know they can access data outside of LTE.
Yes I know the Droid Turbo still has capability to connect to CDMA networks.
EVDO and CDMA aren't separate things. Both 1xRTT (2G) and EVDO (3G) are data transmission standards that are a part of CDMA technology. Just like EDGE and HSPA are data transmission standards that are part of GSM technology.

The WHOLE point if this was about SIMULTANEOUS voice and data. Something phones like the Turbo, Moto X 2014, Nexus 6, and others going forward won't be able to do until they support VoLTE. And considering the issues many seem to be having VoLTE aka Advanced Calling, they should have waited until it was more mature before stripping away simultaneous voice and data out of the box. Three years ago, we had the ability for simultaneous voice and data when they launched LTE. All of the devices from then to now had dual antennas. But now that they're starting to roll out VoLTE, they've stripped out one antenna, making it a data or voice, but not at the same time, which puts us functionally back to before LTE was launched. They shouldn't have tied simultaneous voice and data to VoLTE. They should've kept VoLTE separate until it was working as well as CDMA voice.

This. I am actually really shocked so many people are having issues with Verizon's VoLTE -- I figured if anyone can do it .. it would be them. On T-Mobile VoLTE works great .. and if I lose LTE for whatever reason .. It drops to HSPA and keeps the call going.

Hopefully Verizon can figure it out. I know with the Note 4 on Verizon they kept the dual radios .. Not sure why they decided to remove it for the Turbo.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This. I am actually really shocked so many people are having issues with Verizon's VoLTE -- I figured if anyone can do it .. it would be them. On T-Mobile VoLTE works great .. and if I lose LTE for whatever reason .. It drops to HSPA and keeps the call going.

Hopefully Verizon can figure it out. I know with the Note 4 on Verizon they kept the dual radios .. Not sure why they decided to remove it for the Turbo.

I imagine Samsung forced the issue, especially considering no simultaneous voice and data until it got upgraded to Advanced Calling. That would probably put a dent in sales without that functionality out of the box.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I imagine Samsung forced the issue, especially considering no simultaneous voice and data until it got upgraded to Advanced Calling. That would probably put a dent in sales without that functionality out of the box.

Indeed that is a possibility. I personally think they should have done as you said -- kept them until it was fully ready to go. That way people that are used to that feature aren't shocked when they can't do it anymore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1