Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Music/Video Playback Issues In Play Music, YouTube, Amazon MP3, etc.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in the app section, but got no responses after 210 views. So, posting it here in case it is a phone-specific issue.

No music or video plays in any app except Ringdroid and Instagram. Basically, if it has a play button, it won't play. First happened yesterday morning in Play Music. I push the play button, and it immediately goes from playing to not (quickly flashes the 'pause' sign, but goes right back to the 'play' sign. If I press the button repeatedly, it plays the song in a choppy fashion, but still won't stay on 'play.' And I tested on-device and cloud music, same issue for both. I tested it in Amazon MP3 too, since that app shows you the loading progress of the song. Same problem, even after the song is fully loaded, so not the issue there. Then, Pandora...same issue. Then YouTube, same issue. Ringdroid, however, works. Instagram plays videos as well, without issue.

When the problem first arose, I shut down and restarted the phone, and music played again for a while. But then, the issue happened again within a couple hours.

The ONLY thing that I can think maybe it might be is an issue with BT. When I leave my car after BT streaming music through Play Music, I don't shut the music off, I just shut off my BT relay (which automatically stops the music). So, I don't know if it could be an issue with the phone, for some reason, not realizing the music has been stopped (thus not letting me play new music) or if it is a bug with the BT connection set-up. I did clear the cache in Play Music and Amazon, also force stopped each, but that didn't fix the issue.

Charging my phone now (it is shut down when I charge), so will see if it works when I power it back up, and if I can recreate the issue regarding BT. Just slightly annoying, and hasn't happened up until yesterday (3 weeks using the phone).

Anyone run into this, or have any advice? I just cleared my cache partition last week, but I could do it again if anyone thinks that may help.

TYIA.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Music/Video Playback Issues In Play Music, YouTube, Pandora, Amazon MP3, etc.

I've seen something similar when I lose my Bluetooth connection. It's still looking for the Bluetooth device to play to and just sits there. If you exit out of the apps when you're done with them it shouldn't happen anymore.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Music/Video Playback Issues In Play Music, YouTube, Pandora, Amazon MP3, etc.

I posted this in the app section, but got no responses after 210 views. So, posting it here in case it is a phone-specific issue.

No music or video plays in any app except Ringdroid and Instagram. Basically, if it has a play button, it won't play. First happened yesterday morning in Play Music. I push the play button, and it immediately goes from playing to not (quickly flashes the 'pause' sign, but goes right back to the 'play' sign. If I press the button repeatedly, it plays the song in a choppy fashion, but still won't stay on 'play.' And I tested on-device and cloud music, same issue for both. I tested it in Amazon MP3 too, since that app shows you the loading progress of the song. Same problem, even after the song is fully loaded, so not the issue there. Then, Pandora...same issue. Then YouTube, same issue. Ringdroid, however, works. Instagram plays videos as well, without issue.

When the problem first arose, I shut down and restarted the phone, and music played again for a while. But then, the issue happened again within a couple hours.

The ONLY thing that I can think maybe it might be is an issue with BT. When I leave my car after BT streaming music through Play Music, I don't shut the music off, I just shut off my BT relay (which automatically stops the music). So, I don't know if it could be an issue with the phone, for some reason, not realizing the music has been stopped (thus not letting me play new music) or if it is a bug with the BT connection set-up. I did clear the cache in Play Music and Amazon, also force stopped each, but that didn't fix the issue.

Charging my phone now (it is shut down when I charge), so will see if it works when I power it back up, and if I can recreate the issue regarding BT. Just slightly annoying, and hasn't happened up until yesterday (3 weeks using the phone).

Anyone run into this, or have any advice? I just cleared my cache partition last week, but I could do it again if anyone thinks that may help.

TYIA.

I get this sometimes with play music on my car BT. On Sonos or the device speakers it works fine. Kind of annoying.

Posted via the Android Central App

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I get this sometimes with play music on my car BT. On Sonos or the device speakers it works fine. Kind of annoying.

Posted via the Android Central App

I just have a plug-in BT FM transmitter in my car, so this isn't really a 'car BT' issue. But, it does it even after disconnected from the BT, which is annoying. There's obviously a bug somewhere, as I haven't used BT at all today and everything is working as expected.

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

I use the USB cable to hook up to my car's stereo, and it did this same thing (it also won't actually PLAY through the car speakers, but I'm guessing that's another issue). A restart fixed it for playing through the phone speakers at least.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I think I narrowed it down to not manually stopping and exiting either a music app or video app (though it's only happening out of Google Play for me). For some reason, I think the phone is saying, "Something is already playing, so this can't play," even though nothing IS playing. I've been making sure to not let the BT disconnect shut off the music. I manually go in, stop it, and exit the app first. Have yet to repeat the issue. Even still, a slightly annoying bug.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Ugh. Just happened yet again, accidentally this time. Was streaming music through a BT speaker and accidentally closed the streaming app without stopping the music first. This needs to be fixed.

Amanda Hunsberger

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site

I am having the same issue on YouTube and on Pandora. I press play and literally get not even a half second of audio. And no matter how many times I press it it only plays for that half second and stops. Hopefully this is something they fix. It truly is annoying.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

This happened to me again today. So, just to make sure, I used the chat on Motorola.com to report the bug. I suggest if anyone else is having the same or similar issues to report as well so it can be ID'd and worked out.

Also as a note, it doesn't appear to happen on my wife's phone and appears only to happen on my phone via my car's BT FM transmitter with regularity (we have a Soundkick and I couldn't replicate this issue tonight, but it has happened before on it...and no, the update didn't fix it as I updated my phone last night and it happened this morning in my car).

Meatballkop

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Yes, coming up on two years after your last entry and I am having similar problems. Since there are no more posts, I am wondering if the problem is fixed or the conversation moved to another thread, webpage, forum, or platform. I don't use and bluetooth devices so that's not my problem. First I couldn't even control the volume. Searched for that and checked my sound settings, The media control was on mute and wouldn't let me make any changes. The search info said it was probably an app that was muted and controlling the main function. So I shut down any apps that were using audio. That gave me control of the main media volume in my settings, but videos still wouldn't play. Then I found this thread and shut down my Droid Turbo. That seems to have worked, but from what I read, for how long?