Qi Chargers

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Qi chargers are commodities - IOW, as long as it's well made and the type you want (some of them are little round pads, others are the size of the phone, some have stands that let the phone sit upright at an angle), they're all about the same. $14 is a good price. My only question about this one is whether it has a light indicating that it's charging. That's how you know the phone is sitting in the right spot. (Relying on the phone charge indicator takes a little longer, since most phones don't indicate charge for about a second.) For comparison, I've been using http://www.amazon.com/New-Arrival-L...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4079459 for months and it has a light that lets me know just where to put the phone.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I was sort of wondering if the Turbo needs a faster-charging Qi charger since the battery is so large, or if it's going to be on for at least five hours does it matter?

Thanks for the info.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
you should also look at the Nokia charging plate, dt-900, that one output 12V compare to the 5V of the powerbot. You can get a pair of dt-900 on ebay for $30.

wheelerpr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I got two cheap ones off eBay for around $6 and both work great. They look like a coaster so it's not a stand, but that's all I needed anyway. They have an led light. They don't charge super fast, but they are always charged fully in the morning.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
What Qi charger would you guys recommend for the Turbo? Would the PowerBot one work well? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4083523
The PowerBots work fine; especially for their low cost. You do have to position it just right on the pad, otherwise the phone will either not charge at all, or will be partially positioned over the coil and get into a charge/not charge/charge/not charge cycle which you want to avoid. This thread has already covered the subject of after market QI chargers if you want additional options/suggestions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-looking-advice-good-charging-pads-turbo.html

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
... $14 is a good price. My only question about this one is whether it has a light indicating that it's charging. That's how you know the phone is sitting in the right spot...
Yes, the PowerBot pad has an LED light. Going by memory: Green means it's plugged in. Solid Blue means it's charging your phone. Flashing blue means your phone is not properly positioned.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Avoid that charger. I have it, and the phone has to be placed off center for it. I have memorized where to put it down by now but even I'm not always correct. My screen is constantly lighting on because of it activating/deactivating. It sucks and gets really frustrating.

Amazon.com: CHOE Stadium Qi Wireless Charger 3-Coils Wide Charging Area Wireless Charging Pad for Nexus 6, Sony Xperia Z3V, Motorola Moto 360 Smart Watch, Nexus 5 /7(2013) / 4, Nokia Lumia 1020/ 920/928, MOTO Droid Maxx/Droid Mini, HTC Droid DNA, HTC

This one works a lot better. No need to adjust the phone after putting it on.

sashazur

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the Anker Qi pad that looks like a round drink coaster. It works fine even through a thick case. Charging from nearly empty takes about 5 hours. It's got a led on the side that I covered up with electrician tape since it's in my bedroom.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Avoid that charger. I have it, and the phone has to be placed off center for it. I have memorized where to put it down by now but even I'm not always correct. My screen is constantly lighting on because of it activating/deactivating. It sucks and gets really frustrating.

Amazon.com: CHOE Stadium Qi Wireless Charger 3-Coils Wide Charging Area Wireless Charging Pad for Nexus 6, Sony Xperia Z3V, Motorola Moto 360 Smart Watch, Nexus 5 /7(2013) / 4, Nokia Lumia 1020/ 920/928, MOTO Droid Maxx/Droid Mini, HTC Droid DNA, HTC

I just ordered one of the CHOE 3 coil ones, my LugaLake or something like that one with a battery built in works ok but it's a little funny on positioning.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all the advice guys, the one you linked looks pretty nice as does the one mmohn01 linked. The Koolpuck round one looks like it has some good grippy rubber around the edges, between the two of those which one would keep the phone in-place the best?

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna say avoid the round ones, and go with rectangular ones. It seems like the rectangular ones have more coils which give better charging placement results. The round ones only have the one coil in them so they have to be placed on the same spot. Also it seems like most of the round ones are just cheap chinese made ones and rebranded with so many different companies, so they'll give the same results.

The rectangular ones have a grippy material on the whole body so they hold the phone in place, it's not a plastic finish. The circular ones definitely hold well though, but the issue is charging placement in the end. Also the round ones are a lot smaller than you're probably thinking, which is what causes the issues. It's just barely bigger than the size of a beer bottle, so it looks kinda weird when your phone is on it. It looks too small.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna say avoid the round ones, and go with rectangular ones. It seems like the rectangular ones have more coils which give better charging placement results. The round ones only have the one coil in them so they have to be placed on the same spot. Also it seems like most of the round ones are just cheap chinese made ones and rebranded with so many different companies, so they'll give the same results.

The rectangular ones have a grippy material on the whole body so they hold the phone in place, it's not a plastic finish. The circular ones definitely hold well though, but the issue is charging placement in the end. Also the round ones are a lot smaller than you're probably thinking, which is what causes the issues. It's just barely bigger than the size of a beer bottle, so it looks kinda weird when your phone is on it. It looks too small.
If cost is not a major concern, this is solid advice. The small round ones are cheaper because they only have the one coil, and yes you do have to make sure the phone lines up just right, or it won't charge, or (worse) it will intermittently stop charging. The rectangular pads usually have multiple coils so, you're going to get a solid charge contact just about no matter what, and of course, this comes at an additional price; some are reasonably priced, some.... not so much. For me, I got 3 of the small round cheapies, and dropped them on my desk and end tables. They look like coasters, and don't stand out, and I have a charging station no matter where I sit.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I originally bought the LG round puck style that Verizon offers in store. This charger worked with my Droid Turbo in NO case but as soon as I put the Turbo in an Otter Box case the phone would constantly go in and out of "Wireless charger found" so the screen would constantly be going off and on. I took the LG charger back and got the Tylt Vu and it has worked fine with the Otter Box case.