Advantages/Disadvantages of using Moto Voice over Google Voice?

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hello!

I'm fairly new to all this so am looking for some advice. I got my Turbo about 10 days ago and initially did NOT setup Moto. I was using Google Voice a little here and there via the "Ok, Google" command. I then setup Moto and Moto Voice and noticed that Google Voice no longer worked or responded to "Ok, Google" but my Moto Voice command did work. At first I thought it was a bit silly because all it seemed to do was open up the same screen I was used to seeing with my "Ok, Google" command but the Moto version involved an extra screen. However, I then noticed that Moto Voice worked even when my phone was just sitting there on the desk with a black screen... Google Voice does NOT do this and I have to actually have the screen on to for it to work. So, I see this as a bit of an advantage for letting Moto handle the voice stuff.

I was doing some additional reading and it looks like there may be more advantages to using Moto like better battery management even though it is looking for voice input ALL the time rather than just when the screen is on like with Google Voice.

Being the rookie, I'm wondering if you guys could let me know if there are any other advantages to using Moto Voice or possibly even disadvantages?

I was having trouble with my Bluetooth Pioneer car stereo working properly with Google Voice (I'm guessing that is what was controlling it. It connected fine and I could use the phone book and everything just fine from the radio's touch screen but the voice commands weren't working) so am anxious to see if maybe it works better (or different even) with Moto Voice.

Thanks!

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Moto Voice is really just a stub that calls up Google Now (Search with voice command) for most of the heavy lifting. Some functions are handled directly by Moto Voice (like responding to text messages, etc.), but everything else is sent to Now for processing. The advantage, as you have found, is that it enables the always-listening headline feature of the modern Moto devices.

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Moto Voice is really just a stub that calls up Google Now (Search with voice command) for most of the heavy lifting. Some functions are handled directly by Moto Voice (like responding to text messages, etc.), but everything else is sent to Now for processing. The advantage, as you have found, is that it enables the always-listening headline feature of the modern Moto devices.

Thanks for the info... looks like I may have accidentally stumbled on the best advantage then.

One other question for anybody... when connected to a Bluetooth hands-free calling device (like my Pioneer radio) the stock voice app would say something along the lines of "Please say a command" when I pushed the button. With Moto Voice there is no speaking of the phone... it just waits. Is there a way to have Moto Voice actually indicate when it is ready to receive a command? Reason I ask is because sometimes there is a delay and when I'm in my car I'm not looking at my phone so the voice prompt would be nice. Thanks!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member