Send/Receive MMS text with network data off

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I just tried out Verizon's messaging app and found that you can send and receive MMS text with both data and wifi off. It's pretty neat.

I've been tweaking my phone's setup, automating the turning on and off of wifi and data but was worried about not getting MMS text with data off. Now that I can receive MMS with data off I can keep LTE off until the screen is on(I do have the phone set up to turn lte on to sync once every hour).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I didn't know that... I wonder how it does it though... MMS by standard runs through the mobile data channel, and without this I guess it'd have to somehow convert simple SMS text into actual Multimedia data like a picture or video or audio. Neat.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
pretty cool right? I was really surprised, I thought maybe they sent it over wifi, so i had that turn off as well and was still able to send/receive MMS. Reducing the LTE radio on time has netted me another 1.5 hrs of screen on time a day.

If anything if you're in a bad LTE area you can turn it off to conserve battery and won't miss out on MMS texts.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's Message+ app is surprisingly excellent. It also works wonders from your computer 💻. Far better than Moto connect imo.

Symthic

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Not just Message+, but any SMS app. I use Textra and things work fine with data turned off.

Sent Turbo Fast from my Droid Turbo 64gb

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Not just Message+, but any SMS app. I use Textra and things work fine with data turned off.

Sent Turbo Fast from my Droid Turbo 64gb

Any app? Are you talking about SMS(simple text) or MMS(picture and group text)? I know MMS won't work with the stock message app with out network data on. I'll try out Textra and see if MMS work on it with data off.

Symthic

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Any app? Are you talking about SMS(simple text) or MMS(picture and group text)? I know MMS won't work with the stock message app with out network data on. I'll try out Textra and see if MMS work on it with data off.
Not sure about MMS, but I'm SMS and phonecalls work with data turned off.

Data and WiFi turned off?

Posted via the Android Central App
Yes, I believe because turning off the data turns off the non-messaging and calling capabilities, as those work independently of data (at least in terms of billing). So you can receive texts and phonecalls, but not emails and internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12