Using Moto Voice for a to-do list?

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hello!

I'm trying to figure out how I can best use Moto Voice to create and add to a to-do type list? I see it can set a reminder but the reminder requires you to enter a due time/date or location and I don't really need to do that. I just want to be able to have Moto Voice add something to a simple list. I have tried the "Note to self:" command but that seems to just send an email to your gmail account and since I don't use gmail, that really isn't useful for me either.

Any ideas for a simple list that can be voice controlled (at least to add to the list)?

Thanks!

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I'm trying to figure out how I can best use Moto Voice to create and add to a to-do type list? I see it can set a reminder but the reminder requires you to enter a due time/date or location and I don't really need to do that. I just want to be able to have Moto Voice add something to a simple list. I have tried the "Note to self:" command but that seems to just send an email to your gmail account and since I don't use gmail, that really isn't useful for me either.

Any ideas for a simple list that can be voice controlled (at least to add to the list)?

Thanks!

Try to download a 3rd party note taking app or to do list app - Evernote or Wunderlist - would be my top two.

Wunderlist is fantastic for to do lists and task management, and Evernote is my go to for any random note, inventory, basically anything that's not a to do list.

When using moto voice say, "make note.....", and if you have more than one app installed, it will give you the option to choose one as your default. Once you choose it as your default, it will stick to your default to make notes moving forward.

In terms of setting dates or reminders, you'll still have to do that manually, but it will save the item perfectly well without having to worry about it.

If you do not have a 3rd party app installed, I believe it defaults to Google Now to create reminders or make notes. I've found this a little finicky through google now, and although there does seem to be a way to avoid manual set up of reminders or due dates, it doesn't always seem to give me the notification; so I stopped using it. I do not have my Google now set to give me notifications though, so that seems to be the issue, but it would be nice if I didn't have to keep all notifications on in order to receive reminders. Google keep is a google note app that I've never tested, but it's a google property so might be worth exploring as well.

Hope this helps!

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's been a while and I never got around to trying this but did finally end up giving it a shot and wanted to come back and thank you for the info :)

I had previously used with my old phone (or attempted to use like all people who "want" to get organized LOL) Wunderlist so thought I'd give that a shot. Wow... it works via voice to add notes!

It adds everything to my "Inbox". Do you know of a way to get it to add it to a specific folder I have setup in Wunderlist? I've been trying a few different voice commands with no luck. Will do a little searching and keep trying in the meantime.

Thanks again! I've read a few different places of what the different Moto Voice commands are and nowhere did I see mention of this "make note" command. In fact, I just did a Google Search and NOTHING a couple pages in mentions this except THIS thread!?!? I likely never would have realized this had you not replied so thanks very much for the info. Not sure where you got it from (seems to evidently be a big secret! haaha) but I appreciate it!

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It's been a while and I never got around to trying this but did finally end up giving it a shot and wanted to come back and thank you for the info :)

I had previously used with my old phone (or attempted to use like all people who "want" to get organized LOL) Wunderlist so thought I'd give that a shot. Wow... it works via voice to add notes!

It adds everything to my "Inbox". Do you know of a way to get it to add it to a specific folder I have setup in Wunderlist? I've been trying a few different voice commands with no luck. Will do a little searching and keep trying in the meantime.

Thanks again! I've read a few different places of what the different Moto Voice commands are and nowhere did I see mention of this "make note" command. In fact, I just did a Google Search and NOTHING a couple pages in mentions this except THIS thread!?!? I likely never would have realized this had you not replied so thanks very much for the info. Not sure where you got it from (seems to evidently be a big secret! haaha) but I appreciate it!

I stumbled on it while using my last phone, which was the Droid Maxx. I can't remember when I overall first found out about the, "make note" command, but if I remember correctly, it's one of the Google Now commands that you can access through moto voice, since moto voice itself uses Google now to complete many requests. One time randomly when I tried to add a voice note, instead of defaulting to one particular app, it gave me the option to choose- with that box that comes up, "always or just once", where you get to select general defaults given certain actions. As soon as it happened to me, I was immediately excited to find out that this was an option, which I too have not seen printed anywhere else.

As far as saving to a particular folder, I unfortunately have not been able to crack that feature. Please let me know if you turn anything up, as that would be very useful.

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I did email Wunderlist and they indicated there are no voice commands to have items go to specific areas... everything goes to the Inbox. But, they did say they would look at adding that feature so we'll see.

Also, while the "make note" command works, it doesn't seem to be the normal way to do this which is likely why we didn't find much info about it. It looks like the more common way is to say "note to self:". I think I ran across one more way to do it as well.

If Wunderlist makes it so you can use voice for something other than the Inbox I'll post back here :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I did email Wunderlist and they indicated there are no voice commands to have items go to specific areas... everything goes to the Inbox. But, they did say they would look at adding that feature so we'll see.

Does Wunderlist have a way to allow the application Tasker to add notes? I don't think it does. If you're not "married" to Wunderlist, though, I think that the to do app Astrid does have Tasker integration.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.timsu.astrid&token=dFoC7Ce4

And, if you want to play around, then this page might be useful to show how to add to a "to do" list in Astrid by voice:

How to Create a Custom Google Now Command for Anything on Android

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Does Wunderlist have a way to allow the application Tasker to add notes? I don't think it does. If you're not "married" to Wunderlist, though, I think that the to do app Astrid does have Tasker integration.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.timsu.astrid&token=bEKEhl9F

I will check those out. Thank you!

I played around a little with Astrid a while back and did like it. I'm one of those people who tries to think they want to get organized but never seems to actually follow through. LOL

I like the voice features so far as it helps... when I think of something I just say it and the phone will put it in Wunderlist for me so that is cool. I'll check out Astrid again. Thanks!

And, if you want to play around, then this page might be useful to show how to add to a "to do" list in Astrid by voice:

How to Create a Custom Google Now Command for Anything on Android

Thanks much! I will check those out!

Last edited:

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I was wondering why Astrid sounded so familiar and I knew I had played around with it... well, I just figured it out. I went to Wunderlist when Astrid "went away". But, it seems like now Astrid is back? Or, maybe they changed their mind and never shutdown like they were going to? Either way, I moved away from Astrid when they put out that they were shutting down the service... but it's still around so that is weird. LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20