Is My Turbo Defective? Battery, Heat, and Stability Issues

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I just made the switch back to Android after 4 years with iPhone, and so far I've been enjoying the phone. I was dead set on getting the G3 while I was planning my switch but then the Turbo came out and I decided to try it.

My issue is this: I haven't been impressed with the battery life in the least bit. In fact, it's been somewhat bad for a new phone. I've had it for a week and it drains a lot. I've disabled all the bloatware and pretty much anything I've found that's been recommended. I keep my screen at only 10% brightness most of the time. I'll charge my phone to 100% and then within 5 minutes I'll see it's dropped to 99%.

This morning I woke up after 5 hours of sleep with 6% less battery than when I went to bed. I haven't been using it heavily due to the battery. I haven't enjoyed it as much because of this issue.

Additionally, I played Candy Crush Soda (I know...) for 45 minutes last night and lost a whopping 25% of my battery. I never had anything close to that bad on my old iPhone 5 when playing the original Candy Crush. The phone also got unreasonably warm for playing what seems like a non-intensive game. I've seen some lists that say Candy Crush uses a lot of battery but 25% in less than an hour just seems like overkill.

Then today, when I was using the Reddit Sync app, the phone randomly started flashing between the open apps window and the app and I couldn't get out of it without holding the power button down for a long time to turn off the phone. Either that or it crashed.

I keep seeing posts of people saying they've played "x game" for an hour, watched YouTube videos for an hour, done blah blah blah, and still have 75% of their battery left.

I'm not trying to belittle the phone because I've been enjoying it so far. The jump back to Android has been a little jarring but I'll get used to it again. I'm just concerned that I may have a faulty device. I've had it for a week now, which I'd assume is adequate time to have the battery set in properly.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The problem with battery life is that almost everybody has their phone set up differently from Wi-fi, to Locations, to apps that sync, signal strength, etc. So what I get on my phone may, or may not, be indicative of what you should get on your phone.

With all of that said, I see battery drain of 1%, give or take, overnight. Average screen on time is over 7 hours and I am averaging about a day and a half before I run out of juice. Again, your mileage will vary.

The phone will get warm with things such as gaming. Personally, I don't like to see the phone get over 105-110 degrees.

If you haven't already done so, I would download an app like GSam battery monitor (ironically, that app has been using more battery lately) and that will give you battery statistics and temperature.

Last, if you are not happy with the phone take it back and exchange it. You have 14 days from date of purchase.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Seems defective. I can get about 6 hours of screen usage time and go over a day using my droid turbo. Take it in and swap it for a new one. Mine doesnt ever overheat either. It only gets a tiny bit warm when charging.

Posted from my 64 GB Droid Turbo black nylon

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
OP, your battery drain does seem a bit off, but it doesn't seem to be that bad. The dropping to 99% after unplugging is completely normal (technically, as soon as the phone is off the charger, it should drop to 99%). The overnight discharge, depending on what you have on, is also fairly normal. Expect about .75-1.25% per hour, or thereabouts. As far as the game, not familiar with that one, but playing 45 minutes of any game on a phone will drain the battery a bit, especially if you were on a weaker Wifi or 4G signal. If the phone got 'unreasonably' (I assume that means uncomfortably) warm during game play, there's a chance some stuff (GPS, an app, etc) is also running in the background as well. I'm not familiar with that particular game, but the 25% drain sounds just bit high for the usage.

The problem with battery life is that almost everybody has their phone set up differently from Wi-fi, to Locations, to apps that sync, signal strength, etc. So what I get on my phone may, or may not, be indicative of what you should get on your phone.

With all of that said, I see battery drain of 1%, give or take, overnight. Average screen on time is over 7 hours and I am averaging about a day and a half before I run out of juice. Again, your mileage will vary.

The phone will get warm with things such as gaming. Personally, I don't like to see the phone get over 105-110 degrees.

If you haven't already done so, I would download an app like GSam battery monitor (ironically, that app has been using more battery lately) and that will give you battery statistics and temperature.

Last, if you are not happy with the phone take it back and exchange it. You have 14 days from date of purchase.

Sorry, but I call BS on your stats. P.O.I.D.H. You get 36 hours with 7+ hours of screen on time? Sounds a bit rich. My max battery time was 39 hours, and that was only with 5.5 hours screen on time, all on wifi, high-accuracy GPS off, and not really using anything intensive on the phone.. And you only drop 1% overnight (guessing 7+ hours)? Even an idle phone will drop about 1% per hour. Again, post a screen grab of a full discharge with GSAM, otherwise your stats seem a bit exaggerated.

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
As an update, I fully charged my phone to 100% and unplugged it at 4:00. It's 5:46 right now and all I did was listen to maybe 4 songs on Google Play that were downloaded and sent a few texts. I'm now at 87%. Just under two hours later now. I have WiFi on but I'm always connected, and location services are off. I have Greenify shutting down apps like Facebook constantly. I always shut down my background services.

The only possible thing I could think that might cause some issue is Yappy, since I use it to text on my computer. But I'm afraid if I force stop it that it'll mean I have to constantly restart it when I want to text while on my computer, which could be at any time.

Candy Crush is essentially a Bejeweled game that connects to Facebook. Shouldn't be as intensive as it was last night. I'm not sure if something like Tasker would be beneficial to constantly shut down background apps? I haven't looked too into it.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Mayo, I use tasker to shut down background data when my screen times out and resynchronize when the screen wakes up. I like gsam because it shows me what is running and what wakelocks are active. Here's a screen shot which is my typical use. I agree the battery should only drain .5 to 1% per hour overnight. I have tasker set up to shut stuff down from 10pm to 6am. I figure why not since I am usually asleep at that time. Calls and texts still come through.

Attachments

• 1417563154154.jpg
    1417563154154.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps I should have been more explicit, but overnight I lose about 1% per hour. I would never expect 1% over an entire night.

According to GSam, average per complete charge for screen on is 7 hours 3 minutes and 1 day 6.5 hours of battery life. I have no idea how to post a screen shot but that's what it says.

djysrv1

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Droid Turbo heating problems - two possible solutions.

1. Anti-virus (A/V) applications can keep the CPU running to scan device events and apps when the phone is in sleep mode. A/V can cycle as often as once a minute creating a rapid battery drain and accompanying heat, e.g,, as much as 40% of battery in 2-4 hours. Check settings for your A/V and turn off any setting that keeps to CPU active even when the phone is in sleep mode.

2. Check news applications for options that give your breaking news. Some news apps "phone home" as often as once every four minutes to check to new breaking news, rather than using push notifications, which chews up battery life and generates heat.

3. Monitor battery use by application and disable any app that appears to be chewing up high numbers, e.g., 50%, of the battery. Either the app is corrupted or it isn't working according to plan. For instance, a photo backup service got into a loop looking for photos to back up which did not exist in the target directory on the phone. It ran continuously for over an hour before excessive heating provided a warning something was wrong with the phone.

If the app is corrupted, go to phone settings / APPS and clear the data cache and all data for the app. If it still produces problems, uninstall it, and download a new copy from the publisher.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007