Calling all Motorola battery experts!

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Motorola tech support just told me that on all of their phones, the batteries should only be charged when at 20% or below because otherwise it will be detrimental to the battery over time. I think he was referring to battery capacity or retention of charge perhaps (not sure if correct terms)? At the risk of sounding ignorant/naive, I'm sorry but whaaaaaa...? I've never heard of that one before.

I had actually called to ask about what they thought about the effect of daily or near-daily turbo-charging of the Droid Turbo's battery and whether that would substantially impact battery longevity. He didn't really answer that one. (EDIT) I just saw the turbo charger/daily thread; a few differing opinions there. At the risk of sounding even more ignorant/naive, I'm thinking of maybe using the turbo charger occasionally and going with my ole Droid Razr Maxx HD's charger or Tylt Vu most of the time.

Btw, I also snuck in the Lollipop update question. He said no idea when, but that Motorola has already sent it to Verizon.

EDIT: Sorry about another battery post. I went through the 2 other recent battery threads but I think this one addresses some different concerns.

Last edited:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with doogald. After reading the link he posted a couple months ago it clearly advises to charge it frequently. I do have some concerns about the heat generated by the turbo charger over time. I am by no way saying motorola would purposely sell a charger that would end up damaging the battery, but most people only keep a phone for about a year so time will tell. I had the Razr Maxx HD that did not have a swappable battery. I usually charged that nightly and would run it all the way down about once a month. After 2 years I never noticed any degradation in battery life.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I read the Turbo charger actually has 3 power settings that push different levels of charge into your battery. If the battery is below a certain level (say 20%) it will push the faster charge until it gets to (again I am just picking a number) 60% and will reduce the voltage of the charge. This is all controlled by the software in the Turbo. You can use the turbo Charger on any phone and it will just be a normal charger because there is no corresponding software to "Kick it up a notch" Sorry Emeril lol I also agree with the article that was referenced

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Appreciate all of the responses, especially the article link and some Emeril. Bam!

I thought I was in the Twilight Zone on the phone with that Motorola rep when he came up with that 20% line out of nowhere. And actually, he did say something about if you don't follow that procedure it could "damage" the battery. I didn't ask him to clarify what that meant because I was skeptical and wanted to move on. And thanks everyone for the reassurances.