So much for Gorilla Glass 3 (Broken Screen)

sullywagon

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Took a spill on my bicycle and my Turbo (64GB) came flying out of my unzipped back pocket.

Not unlike buttered toast it landed face down on the gravel path and this was the result:

IMG_20141128_170511958.jpg

The screen was completely unresponsive but the streamed music and fitness tracker app (Strava) continued to run. I did have a screen protector on my phone. (Standard Verizon scratch protector)

When I got home I called Verizon to use my one time free screen replacement, neither person I spoke to heard of it but they found it in the system. A couple days later I had my replacement phone (refurb).

Guess I am going to look for a case after all...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass helps with scratches and other things .. It isn't unbreakable. They never advertise it to be unbreakable. The fact is .. if you drop any phone the right way .. especially on its face .. it is going to break.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No offense but I wouldn't expect the phone to survive that kind of impact in tact without a heavy duty case. And in your case, I would recommend s tempered glass screen protector as well.

Gorilla glass is not indestructible, there are plenty of stories of people with Gorilla glass screens getting broken.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
By the way, if my post read to the OP or anybody as unsympathetic, my apologies. It sucks when that happens to anybody. It's too bad that phones these days are still so fragile.

I just wanted to point out that GG is not and does not claim to be indestructible. It does prevent many fractures, though, particularly those caused by scratches in the glass that make the glass more prone to break. I think a lot more of us would have broken displays if we didn't have GG.

mooxiepooxie

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Took a spill on my bicycle and my Turbo (64GB) came flying out of my unzipped back pocket.

Not unlike buttered toast it landed face down on the gravel path and this was the result:

View attachment 152303

The screen was completely unresponsive but the streamed music and fitness tracker app (Strava) continued to run. I did have a screen protector on my phone. (Standard Verizon scratch protector)

When I got home I called Verizon to use my one time free screen replacement, neither person I spoke to heard of it but they found it in the system. A couple days later I had my replacement phone (refurb).

Guess I am going to look for a case after all...

This has just happened to my boyfriend's phone and then his replacement phone within the FIRST drop. The screens were destroyed and unusable. This may seem normal if you are used to regular glass screens, but this is a huge upset because he previously had a Motorola RAZR MAXX HD and he could throw it at concrete walls, wreck his bicycle at top speed and land on it, or drop it on a daily without a scratch. He had it for two years and it worked great. This phone only lasted a few weeks. How sad.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
The more the push the glass to the edges the easier they break. I ride my bike a lot, while riding I use a heavy duty case and always a screen protector. Helped when I dropped wiped

Posted via the Android Central App

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ouch is right... That is a bummer. Hopefully you didn't end up all broken like your phone after that wipe out! 💥🚴💨🚑🚨

MissionFixThat

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Dear Sullywagon,
I barley dropped my phone a few I nches from the ground, but it landed perfectly flat face down on the tile and shattered. I called Verizon and they said "There is no such thing as 1st replacement glass free..." Do you know how they found it in the system? Does everyone who bought their phone with Verizon have this feature or was it something additional that you included at time of phone purchase?

Last edited:

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I distinctly remember that when this phone first came out that was one of the selling points. It was not something that you had to include at the time of purchase.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Dear Sullywagon,
I barley dropped my phone a few I nches from the ground, but it landed perfectly flat face down on the tile and shattered. I called Verizon and they said "There is no such thing as 1st replacement glass free..." Do you know how they found it in the system? Does everyone who bought their phone with Verizon have this feature or was it something additional that you included at time of phone purchase?
Uninformed Verizon clerk. One-time replacement comes with the phone. Get face-to-face & demand they check higher on the food chain. Be prepared for a, "huh, never heard of that before".

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Dear Sullywagon,
Tell them to do a Google search, this is the first thing to pop up... Right from the Verizon website.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../support/motorola-droid-turbo/&token=2gdK_Ha8

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Uninformed Verizon clerk. One-time replacement comes with the phone. Get face-to-face & demand they check higher on the food chain. Be prepared for a, "huh, never heard of that before".

I've tried to get a job with Verizon many times and ways failed. It's stories like this that make me feel disgusted that someone with zero knowledge of a product can get the job but someone like myself that knows the products is "not what we are looking for".

Oh well, tell them to Google it. They can do it and then they can look harder.

VagrantSaint

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Dear Sullywagon,

Its because it is not something Verizon offers. It's a perk Motorola offers and Verizon has agreed to be the middle man.

I'm surprised it worked in this case because it's specifically for broken glass. I was always told if the the actual display board is broken then it's a no go.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Its because it is not something Verizon offers. It's a perk Motorola offers and Verizon has agreed to be the middle man.

I'm surprised it worked in this case because it's specifically for broken glass. I was always told if the the actual display board is broken then it's a no go.

That would be a sneaky way for Motorola to avoid the policy if you ask me. Not saying you're wrong but it seems theyre replacing it either way.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
My only gripe is the issue with calls coming in and phone not ringing, has got really bad lately. Just the VM pops up no call connect. Anyone else seeing this issue and any way to resolve?

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Um I think you are wrong on that one . This is off of the Verizon website . If it were a Motorola warranty I think it would say it on the Verizon site .

Attachments

• turbo.JPG
    turbo.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 33