Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Can I change the way the calendar saves .ics files?

gadgetjonh

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
When I receive a link to an ics file for a calendar event, the file opens the "Calendar" app and adds the event to an account called "Device calendar" which is apparently non-syncable. I have my Google Calendar account configured in this app and also have other calendar applications running on the device (e.g., Sunrise) which are all configured with my Google calendars. I do not see any way to change the calendar which the ics file is saving to; however, it renders them completely useless since I rely on the Google calendar info, not the non-syncable device database. This may be an ignorant question, so I apologize in advance if that is the case.

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Change calendar which .ics files save to

When I receive a link to an ics file for a calendar event, the file opens the "Calendar" app and adds the event to an account called "Device calendar" which is apparently non-syncable. I have my Google Calendar account configured in this app and also have other calendar applications running on the device (e.g., Sunrise) which are all configured with my Google calendars. I do not see any way to change the calendar which the ics file is saving to; however, it renders them completely useless since I rely on the Google calendar info, not the non-syncable device database. This may be an ignorant question, so I apologize in advance if that is the case.

Not at all an ignorant question. I was having the same issue.

Go to your calendar app and open settings (3 vertical dots on top right). Open 'calendars to display' and open 'calendars to synch' (on the bottom). Check the calendar you want to use. In your case, 'Gmail' (Google).

Last edited:

gadgetjonh

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Change calendar which .ics files save to

Thanks, I see where you are in the app. All of my Gmail calendars are syncing down to my device. My issue relates to receiving a meeting invite on the device - the device downloads an ics file which I then open and save as a meeting. Unfortunately, the only calendar it is allowing me to save the ics file to (i.e., meeting) is the Device calendar which is only available on the device itself and is non-syncable. Therefore, when I access my calendar on another app (e.g., Sunrise) or via another device, the meeting is not showing up due to it being trapped on the database which supports the Calendar app. Not knowing much about Android's inner workings, I am wondering if I can delete the Calendar app altogether or if there is a setting somewhere which I could access to change the default calendar app to a different app which did not insist on maintaining its own non-syncable database. Thanks again.

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can I change the way the calendar saves .ics files?

Did you un-check 'device calendar' under 'calendars to synch'? (Sorry to ask what is probably the obvious... but just want to be sure).

And yes, you can disable the device calendar in settings, apps, all.

Last edited:

gadgetjonh

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Did you un-check 'device calendar' under 'calendars to synch'? (Sorry to ask what is probably the obvious... but just want to be sure).

And yes, you can disable the device calendar in settings, apps, all.

Thanks again. I have unchecked the device calendar as a calendar to view (it states that it is non-syncable, therefore there is no option to sync). Also, I disabled the built-in calendar app, but left the Calendar Storage app enabled. After disabling the calendar app, the device would not open an ics file, returning an error message that that effect. I re-enabled the app and was able to open the ics file, but again only to save it to the device's calendar database. I tried the converse (disabling Calendar Storage while keeping the calendar app enabled) but that resulted in an error that the calendar had stopped working.

I sent myself a meeting request from Exchange and did not encounter the same issue, therefore, it appears to only be a problem with ical files, since for whatever reason, the device forces them to be saved to the device's local database rather than offering a choice of calendars.

gadgetjonh

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

In looking into the issue further (as an Android noob obviously) there's an app for that, or actually a whole bunch. It will just require the extra step of allowing the file to download and then opening up the app (e.g., ICS Importer) choosing the calendar and the ics file in the downloads directory and having the app add the file to the selected calendar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital