Why is my Droid Turbo randomly going black?

rileysmama

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Droid Turbo

I switched from the iPhone to the droid turbo a couple weeks ago. I have now had multiple instances where the phone will go black and not turn on. If I call the phone from another one it will ring as if it is on but nothing will show on the screen. The first time it happened I was near a Verizon store so I took it on in. They were stumped and after about 45 minutes they came to the conclusion that I have to use the turbo charger ALL the time. I had plugged my phone into my husband's once for his galaxy...so I went with that answer... After a couple hours (and not plugging it up because I was still out doing errands) it turned back on by itself. The charge was at 68% so the battery didnt just die or anything. Well everything was fine until that night. I put it on the turbo charger and went to sleep. When I woke up it was still at 7%. I looked at the battery screen and it had the symbol stating the phone was charging. But then it said 7% - not charging. I restarted the phone and it basically kick started it to work again. Well fast forward to now. It did it again tonight. Went black, wouldn't do anything, brought it home and put it on turbo charger. Left it there a few hours and went back to see if it would turn on. After an hour of messing with it I found that if I unplugged and replugged the phone into the charger I could hit the on button some kind of a right way with the charging symbol up to turn it on. (During that hour i would sometimes see a charging screen then a charging screen with a question mark. Then it woukd go black and nothing again) When it turned on the charge was 0%. (It had been sitting on the charger for awhile). Well I thought about the last time it happened and tried to restart. Bad idea. Took me another hour to turn it back on. Still at 0%. It has been on and on the charger now for 2 hours and still nothing sitting at 0%. I'm not daring turn it off and back on again. Does anybody know anything about what's going on!? Please help!

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo

When its plugged into the turbo charger does it get hot? If not then maybe the turbo charger itself is junk. Plug it back into your husbands charger and let it juice up. I dont use the turbo charger much. Most of my house uses apple products so I use those chargers mostly. I would also try charging other things for a minute with the turbo charger and see if it charges them, tablet or even your husbands phone. I dont believe the use of a less powerful charger will do any harm at all to your phone so they probably told you that so they could move on.
Use your husbands phone to record video of this happening and then go back to the store. My take from your post is its possible thats its the charger.

rileysmama

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site

No it doesn't get hot. I plugged the phone into his and it shut down and did nothing. Couldn't even get charger screen to appear. Just had to plug it back in to turbo and turn it back on. It would make sense if its the charger but at the same time it charged fine for about a week between the two instances. Not only that but I'm using the phone right now. Its been on 0% but its getting some kind of a charge still to stay on.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

When I use the turbo charger on my turbo phone it gets really warm. It has to do with the fast charging. But I can also use it on my Nexus 10 without worries. It knows when a fast charging device is connected. Thats why I would see what it does when your husbands phone is connected to it. It should charge your turbo fully in about 2 hours or so. If thats not happening its junk. Did it charge it fast when it was working? I promise they told you the use of your husbands charger was them not really knowing what they were talking about. If it still doesnt work after charging overnight then you need a new one.

rileysmama

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site

Yes it did. Okay. Well ill throw it on the other charger and see how it does. Itll cut of again so ill wait till morning to see what happens. Thank you for your help! :)

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, seems like it could be a lemon unfortunately. And note that the turbo charger never HAS TO be used. I personally think that it's better for the battery in the long, long run to not use it frequently, though that's not set in stone - but it certainly won't hurt.

To OP, hope it gets resolved quickly and doesn't taint your perception of this phone forever! Doesn't seem often that iPhone users switch to the Droid Turbo, would hate to lose anyone back to the dark sid----er, I mean...

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I personally think that it's better for the battery in the long, long run to not use it frequently, though that's not set in stone - but it certainly won't hurt.

One would *think* that but have to wonder if that's the case. Since this charger is the ONLY charger that comes with the Turbo, Motorola must not think it negatively affects the battery to use it daily and likely did testing for this. If it did affect the battery in a negative manner you'd think they'd include another $2 charger for "normal" use but they don't so I would have to think it is just fine to use the Turbo Charger as your daily charger :)

rghurtle

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

I would think that you have a bad phone. I never use the turbo charger and my phone has worked flawlessly. But when I have used it there are no problems.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I would think that you have a bad phone. I never use the turbo charger and my phone has worked flawlessly. But when I have used it there are no problems.

Same here. Using the turbo charger doesn't hurt anything. The battery may get warm, but the charging backs off when the battery approaches full charge, which is when things can get dicey. In any case, the turbo charger is never necessary unless your phone is nearly flat and you need to slap a biggish charge in it quickly, as when you are heading out somewhere away from an an outlet and your phone is flat. Personally I just opportunistically charge. If I'm in the car I just plug the phone into a car charger as a matter of habit, and there is a qi pad on my desk where the phone lives when I'm not using it. My opinion is your phone is simply broken. This happens. Take it back and get it replaced. What you saw should never happen on a good phone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Just to test it, try plugging the turbo charger into your husband's phone (it won't hurt it). Does his phone charge? If so, there's a problem with your phone. If his doesn't charge, it could be the charger.

Then try plugging in to a different outlet, to see if there's a problem with where you are plugging in. If it still doesn't charge, then I'd say there's a problem for sure with your phone.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

To be clear about using the turbo charger in general, I'm not saying that there's anything defective, wrong, etc. It just seems that based on the increased heat/stress from turbo charging, over a long period (I don't know, 1+ yrs maybe), the battery will retain fewer mAh than if you use it less frequently. To what extent, we don't know.

It's just my opinion based off the Battery University article. Obviously Motorola must have conducted extensive testing, but did they test daily turbo charging on smartphone batteries for 1-2 years? I think they did what they could, found no problems in shorter-term sampling, and wanted to be at the forefront of turbo charging and get it out to market as soon as reasonable.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not down on Motorola or turbo charging; it's a great feature. I'll just use it when I need to charge during the daytime, but there's no added benefits in charging with it overnight. Sorry for the sidetrack, don't mean to hijack.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis