Anyone getting a Droid Turbo OTA update?

John Callaham

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I've seen some reports that the Droid Turbo is getting an OTA update today, possibly for a soak test..can anyone here confirm they have received such an update?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yup. Manual checked and downloading now

Can you confirm that you can do Simultaneous Voice and Data on LTE after the update? It wasn't possible prior to the update and some speculated that this would enable it. For sure when on a VOLTE call it's possible (rare as they are), but also some are saying for ANY voice call after the update. I haven't heard yet of anyone whose tried this.

Thanks

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Also wanted to confirm that I'm downloading it right now, update 21.44.8 (235.2 MB). I had already enabled HD Voice in my account online - not sure if the order matters; the VZW guide on their site seems to indicate that you do this after downloading, but we'll see. I'll be testing immediately (EDIT: voice/data and call quality) after it completes.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
For the call quality to improve does the other person have to have advanced calling or something similar? I always thought the call quality sounded fine. Maybe this will be like regular to HDTV difference. Or the 720p Droid Maxx to the QHD Turbo (which really isn't much different to my eyes)

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just played around with it and it doesn't look like Verizon has turned it on server side. Not sure why they'd push this out only to have it not work but oh well.
To be clear, I've taken the HD Calling Update and turned the feature on in my account using the My Verizon App.
I made a call while on wifi and noticed it went to 1x and dropped LTE so I tried just on LTE and confirmed that while dialing it still gave me the "You cannot use data while on a call" popup.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I just played around with it and it doesn't look like Verizon has turned it on server side. Not sure why they'd push this out only to have it not work but oh well.
To be clear, I've taken the HD Calling Update and turned the feature on in my account using the My Verizon App.
I made a call while on wifi and noticed it went to 1x and dropped LTE so I tried just on LTE and confirmed that while dialing it still gave me the "You cannot use data while on a call" popup.

Only visible difference I noticed is the in-call screen with the video call camera options. A quick test with WiFi turned off confirms simultaneous voice & data.

cml21

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I just got it. Confirmed simultaneous voice & data. Don't know anyone else with this rig, so can't check the HD Voice deal-e-o.

Posted via the Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I got mine. Had to go activate it, but now i have the simultaneous voice n data!!
Make sure u go to settings after the install and click hd voice

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Simultaneous voice/data is working well, no issues. I also tested VZW's mobile hotspot service, my phone was tethering just fine. So it looks like these should work anywhere within VZW's 4g coverage.

I haven't been able to test HD Voice or video calls yet because I need to find a compatible phone. Btw, the other phone also has to be on VZW's 4g network, must be VoLTE capable, also have the Advanced Calling update (if not already enabled on the phone), and also have HD Voice enabled on that account. Compatible phones are at: Advanced Calling 1.0 – VoLTE – Verizon Wireless. The current list: Droid Turbo, Droid Maxx, Droid Mini, G3, G2, S5, iPhone 6/6+.

Fyi, after downloading the update, it says 20 min to install but it only took about 7. Simultaneous voice/data should be ready at that point. For Advanced Calling features, you can either enable the HD Voice feature on your account either before or after updating; though if you do it after, you may want to reboot the phone just in case. Then make sure that Advanced Calling is on in settings. You'll know if you're in an HD Voice call because an "HD" logo should be present during the call, and I think you can do video calling if those new icons on the dialer aren't greyed out.

pftomo

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I did the update and activated HD voice in the settings but internet is still cutting out when I make a call while on 4G. Is this supposed to be working anywhere 4G is up? I am in the NY metro area so I usually have solid connections.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that after the update, the simultaneous voice/data feature should be working anywhere 4g is. Did you reboot? Could also be some temporary network fluctuation or glitch there. I'd say wait a little while and try again a couple more times in different locations if you can. Sorry, wish I had more insight.

(EDIT) Now I may be confused, but I'm not sure if whoever you're calling also needs to be within range of VZW's 4g? Ugh, thought I had it down, but... Though I don't know if that'd be your issue either.
(UPDATE) After everything I've read, it indeed appears that only you need to be within VZW's 4g coverage to have simultaneous voice/data, regardless of the whereabouts of whoever's on the other end.

Last edited:

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Every time I dial a contact from my contacts, my phone now asks me to type the phone number in again. I leave the call running and pull up the dial pad (in-call) and retype the number and it goes through?

What the heck is going on?

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Got this message when I tried to make a call again.

View attachment 153689

Access your Verizon account and add HD calls under features.

If you have a Verizon business account you may have an option under features "disable HD calls." Disable that.

Reboot your phone. Just had a call and messed around online for the heck of it. Seems to be working great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance