Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Data while calling?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
What happens when I make a phone call, is my 4GLTE turns to 1X. This happens every time. Even after my last reboot a few minutes ago.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
But alas, it still does not work. I didn't have the option to turn it on or off before today, so maybe it'll work in a few days. Who knows with VZW. I'll try another restart.

What do you mean "it does not work"? It looks like you have it on properly; you won't see that option unless you sign up for HD voice.

You'll only get the HD voice option if you call another HD voice user on Verizon, and you'll only get voice and data if the call is placed or received in an LTE area.

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Spent nearly an hr on the phone today with Verizon and softcard trying to fix my account. Had to talk while accessing my account online. No problem with any of it!

Posted via the Android Central App

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I've left the posts above, because that is how my Turbo worked. I've changed the posts after the ones above.

Last edited:

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
What? You mean this only works with another Verizon phone? So with the Turbo, I cannot talk and surf at the same time, unless I'm talking to another VZW phone?

No, what I and others have been saying is that for simultaneous voice/data, all you need to do is to follow the requirements in post #2. This is after the steps in post #10, which you said that you've already done. That's it.

I just hung up with Verizon. You are correct. This feature only works with other Advance Calling Devices. Really? That's crap. Now I've got to rethink the Turbo. I wish I had known this before hand. Dumb move Verizon.

Not sure what you mean by "This feature" here, but you only need to be on the line with a compatible device if you're trying to use the HD/video calling features or 6-way conferencing. This is all detailed in the 1st link in post #10. I'm only referring to my previous posts rather than rehashing them again because I doubt that people want to see me keep posting the same things in the same thread.

I'm sorry that you're so frustrated. However, we can't help you any further if you're repeating and/or asking about things that we've already answered a few times. You did say that you already went through all of my previous posts in this thread - they (and included links) tell you everything you need to know about VZW's VoLTE features, requirements, and instructions.

Like I said earlier, if you've followed everything in those previous posts to a 'T' yet still have issues, then talk to VZW or go into a VZW store for your phone's specific issues. Or, give us some specifics on what you perceive to be going on with your phone and let's see if there's anything else we can do with the new info.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh man, Verizon tech support is unbelievable (in a bad way) sometimes...

The Turbo can DEFINITELY do VoLTE calling, as of last week. The technician is sending you an old list.

With HD voice turned on in your account and VoLTE turned on on the phone, you CAN talk and have data access at the same time, no matter who or which device is called or called you, if you place or receive the call when you are in an area with LTE coverage. That was always the case with any Verizon LTE phone. The 2014 Moto X, the Turbo, the iPhones 6 on Verizon, and the Nexus 6 are "special" - they have only a single mobile antenna, so while calling on CDMA (the traditional calling radio for Verizon) they cannot also communicate with the LTE radio for data, and CDMA does not have enough bandwidth to support data and voice at the same time. That's why older LTE phones can do voice and data at the same time on Verizon - two mobile antennas, so they can use CDMA for calls and LTE for data.

With VoLTE, however, the Turbo (and the other phones I listed) can now call and access data at the same time, but only when the call is placed through LTE. If you are in a CDMA only area (those are becoming few and far between though, unfortunately, where I live is such a place), you cannot do call and data while you are on the call - the call will stay on CDMA even if you travel to an LTE covered area. Note that this has always been the case with LTE phones - if you are in a 3G/CDMA area, you could never do voice and data anyway.

I hope that this hasn't confused you, but, to summarize:

- if you have added the HD Voice feature to your account (and you have)
- you have received the latest OTA update to support Advanced Calling (and you have)
- you have turned on VoLTE support on the phone (and you have)

every and any calls that you make or receive in an area with LTE coverage will allow voice and data, whether you are using the new Advanced Calling features (HD Voice, 6 way conference, video calling) or not.

If this is not happening for you - I agree, go to a Verizon store and ask for tech support to determine why it's not working.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^ Bingo. A great summary and on point as always, doogald.

I know you know this but I am following your lead - for anyone else as an addendum, if you want to use the Advanced Calling phone features (HD & video calling, 6-way conferencing), your phone's requirements are the same as above but there are requirements of that other phone in this case. It must:

- be compatible (currently only the Droid Turbo, G2, G3, Galaxy S5, Droid Maxx/Mini, iPhone 6/6+)
- have the Advanced Calling update installed and turned 'on' for that phone and enabled on that line of the account
- be within VZW 4g LTE range.

(EDIT) Simultaneous voice/data works as stated in post #28 above regardless of whether you use these Advanced Calling phone features.

And to confirm, yes folks, unfortunately VZW customer care and tech support do get things wrong sometimes. I've experienced this several times myself this past week alone, it happens. Generally, I trust their online FAQs and articles more.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go back and clean up my previous posts. Sorry all. VZW tech support is an *****. After the update is applied, you should be able to talk and surf at the same time on LTE. I cannot and I believe, though I can't say for sure, I believe it is because I'm on a very old plan with unlimited data. We're talking 7 years ago I signed up for this plan, so I think that is why it's not working for me.

It works fine with the G3, so I'm going back to that. Hope everyone's Turbo works good and sorry for the confusion.

PressureDrop

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
so I was experiencing the same issue of 1x when on a phone call, 4g when not on a call.

Just now I went in to the "Products & Apps" section of My Verizon (from my desktop) and removed "HD Voice" from my account.
I then rebooted my phone, went into Settings -> Advanced Calling, and it asked me to activate it.

Once I did this I made a test call and while on it noticed 4g rather than the 1x of previous times. I was able to browse the web, Facebook, and anything else "online" while on the test call.

PressureDrop

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
so I was experiencing the same issue of 1x when on a phone call, 4g when not on a call.

Just now I went in to the "Products & Apps" section of My Verizon (from my desktop) and removed "HD Voice" from my account.
I then rebooted my phone, went into Settings -> Advanced Calling, and it asked me to activate it.

Once I did this I made a test call and while on it noticed 4g rather than the 1x of previous times. I was able to browse the web, Facebook, and anything else "online" while on the test call.

I am guessing this will help others - without doing any cache wipes, factory resets, or calling tech support :cool:

Heather Waterman

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Data while calling?

[Moo Cow]I got the phone in Tampa on Friday, but left for vacation for Central Ohio on Saturday, and every time I go on a call, my signal goes from 4GLTE to 1X. Not sure if it's towers or what, but I'm now keeping an eye on this thread as I do the initial "tweak the phone" process.

I have had my phone for over two months now and have been experiencing this same issue, in fact I almost always have 3G or the 1x and never 4G LTE. And there is a little house sometimes over the bars?? I have never had this problem with any other smart phone from Verizon. Also I have never enabled HD calling, Help?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Data while calling?

And there is a little house sometimes over the bars???

This means that you are connected to a Verizon Network Extender rather than a Verizon tower. The network Extender uses somebody's hone Internet connection to carry calls to Verizon and is meant to be used by people in bad service areas. If you don't have one yourself, do you have a neighbor with one maybe? (It'd be a close neighbor, the range is about 30' max.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21