Bottom corner red led lights

PatrickRS

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I am a new owner of a Droid Turbo 64Kb in ballistic nylon, and am torn between getting a cover for this precious investment (I "edged up" with Verizon and am happy for doing so), or leaving it unprotected. I'm torn because the ballistic nylon is unique and I love the feel of it in my hand, so for now I've decided to not get a cover and just a screen protector. My question is, I have noticed a faint red led light in the two bottom corners of the phone, that light up occasionally (for whatever reason), and want to know if they can be covered by a screen protector (what are they?).

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I think they are for the adaptive/active screen. For when you wave your hand over it to wake it or silence it. They actually are sensors.

PatrickRS

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
You're right, when i waved my hand over the phone, i noticed the lights blink. So, if they are covered by a screen saver, will the adaptive/active screen still sense?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I shouldn't go off the rails of the topic of this thread, but why in the world would anyone want to put a screen protector on the absolutely gorgeous screen of the Droid Turbo, which is already made from practically indestructible Gorilla Glass?

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^ Gorilla Glass 3 has certainly been shown not to be indestructible or un-scratchable. There are a number of screen protectors out there that result in barely any perceivable differences in display quality, and they add that extra "just in case" protection against scratches and small nicks. So I could ask the same question the other way: why not spend a few bucks (since they're not even expensive) for that extra insurance? (EDIT: for something you're going to tote around all the time, everywhere, for perhaps 2 yrs)

I've seen some BN-version owners make similar arguments about why even have a case when we have a tank made of Kevlar and stylish Ballistic Nylon? I'd use similar reasoning for that as well.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I shouldn't go off the rails of the topic of this thread, but why in the world would anyone want to put a screen protector on the absolutely gorgeous screen of the Droid Turbo, which is already made from practically indestructible Gorilla Glass?

I like my phone in pristine condition. I'm a bit anal. Even if I'm looking at a screen protector and case I know that underneath it's beautiful.

Also, when I sell it people like seeing a like-new phone

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
When your screen does shatter, a good screen protector is helpful in keeping the pieces together and preventing you from getting cut when you try to use it.

(I'm being completely serious BTW. My daughter used her phone for a couple of weeks with the display shattered until we had a chance to get it repaired.)

Not only does GG3 shatter, it can also be scratched. Not so easily as "regular" glass, but glass is glass.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^ At 7:23 of that video, it actually shows a bunch of scratches/scuffs/marks. I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll post more in the new "Screen Protector or no?" thread.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I know the Otterbox Defender makes it look like a brick but man is it ever tough. Dropped it about 20 ft onto my driveway while on a ladder putting up christmas lights. Not even a scratch on the rubber case. Case? Naked? Screen protector? Who cares, just do what works for you.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi! What about the upgrade to Marshmallow for the droid turbo 1? Any news? Do you think the camera will be improved by this new upgrade? I think this should be done; good macro but in general colors too saturated, true? Thanks friends :)
This is totally off topic. Please start another thread.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I read this post and did some tests, and if I wave my hand at the bottom of the screen where the two lower sensors are located, the active display does not turn on. Wave my hand at the top and the active display turns on. Just tested again. Try it and see. Just bring your hand in from the bottom to cover those red IR sensors and see what happens, they do the same from the top.

On XDA they say the sensor to turn on the screen is the proximity sensor at the top.

And this video shows four sensors, two at the bottom corners and two at the top; right and center. I wonder if my bottom two are not working?

nkmesplay

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
^^ Gorilla Glass 3 has certainly been shown not to be indestructible or un-scratchable. There are a number of screen protectors out there that result in barely any perceivable differences in display quality, and they add that extra "just in case" protection against scratches and small nicks. So I could ask the same question the other way: why not spend a few bucks (since they're not even expensive) for that extra insurance? (EDIT: for something you're going to tote around all the time, everywhere, for perhaps 2 yrs)

I've seen some BN-version owners make similar arguments about why even have a case when we have a tank made of Kevlar and stylish Ballistic Nylon? I'd use similar reasoning for that as well.

nkmesplay

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I was waiting on my sister to install my screen protector since she puts them on with NO bubbles. My screen is scratched up. Pretty bad too!! Only 3 weeks! 😣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol