First words cut off from person I'm calling when they answer the phone.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It seems that when I call someone, more so on bluetooth, that their first words are cut off when they answer, like I'm not hearing them say hello or whatever they say when they first answer the phone. Have others noticed this or should I get my meds adjusted?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Either that or speak to your carrier's tech support people to see that your account setup doesn't have a little typo or something.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It seems that when I call someone, more so on bluetooth, that their first words are cut off when they answer, like I'm not hearing them say hello or whatever they say when they first answer the phone. Have others noticed this or should I get my meds adjusted?

Since installing advanced calling on this phone, that has been happening to me pretty regularly. Its like the 1st half second or so of the conversation is not there when it hooks up. Its about as bad as the shutter lag, but not as blurry. I am sure the coming of lollipop will set all things in order.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
hal1 are you using Google Voice to make your calls by any chance? I have a similar issue going on with GV...

I have Google Voice installed however those are calls are made not using the Google Voice option.

Posted via the Android Central App

wheelerpr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I was having the exact same issue. I turned off HD calling and the problem stopped. Of course, now I don't have data while in a call.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I seem to experience the same issue. There must still be a problem with the advanced calling update. Perhaps weak signals have something to do with it? I have not turned off the advanced calling feature. Maybe I should for now?

wheelerpr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It has to be a software issue. I sit next to a 4G LTE Booster that Verizon installed in my office building and have perfect service.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
It seems to only happen during bluetooth calls. I've made a habit of waiting for a moment after answering a call before speaking (old bluetooth headset did something similar so it's muscle memory now), so it isn't bothering me too bad.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem with HD calling and did the same thing.

Same here. Disabled Advanced Calling and issue disappeared. I'd like to leave the feature on but data during calls isn't as important as clear non-HD calls and consistent conversations.

macawmatt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Another one here. Gotten good about listening to the ring tone and guessing when they answer, only catch is I don't know who answered the phone when they pickup since you don't get their greeting.

wheelerpr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this will be fixed in our next update. I don't use data when on a call often, but when I need it it's a pain to have to hang up the call, look something up and then call back.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Another thing I've noticed that isn't there when turning off HD calling is that entering digits like one does for a conference call access code is flaky and sometimes doesn't catch the right input or duplicates numbers, for example if code I typed and shows up as such in dialer is 12345 when I'm told I entered a wrong code it gets repeated back and the number is 22345 or 2345. Its not always the first digit that gets mucked up, but if I enter it again, sometimes the same issue recurs, eventually it gets it right.

I'm using stock dialer, no Bluetooth, and using radio for calling (not VOIP).

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the delay yesterday when calling a landline phone. It only lasted a second. I am sure it will be improved in another update down the road. Advanced Calling is just rolling out so I am sure Verizon will be adjusting things as they go. I still love the feature though. I have been able to experience the HD calls with some of my friends and it's amazing how clear it is. I will keep the feature on because the benefits of it outweigh a second in the beginning of a call - which doesn't happen every time for me anyway.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Agreed ... I hardly ever use my phone as a phone, kinda funny these days but really I hate talking on the phone and often if I am its on a conference call and I'd rather have data to amuse me than hear people bikeshedding.

tmcmack

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
It's a little embarrassing when I call someone, they pick up and say hello, but I don't hear it. So then we sit in silence for a few seconds until someone says "anybody there?" Hoping they'll fix that.