Cool phone but I feel I can't use it. ARGH!

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is a bit of a rant so if you don't like to read a little complaining then just hit the back button :)

I came to this phone from a Droid Razr Maxx... an OLD phone. It was so slow it was frustrating... to the point where I'd sometimes have to wait 15 seconds or even a minute for screens to change. This started about the time my contract was up around 6 or 7 months ago (Hmm???). However, prior to that I used my phone often for Facebook and about anything else I wanted. I was on unlimited data and consistently only used about .5 to .8gig a month. Because I wasn't even getting close to the 2gig limit many had, I went ahead and decided to get a $10 a month discount to swap to a non contract 2 gig a month plan. The phone had its moments were it would get so slow I thought it had locked up but most times I was able to use Facebook without much of an issue considering I was on an older phone.

Now fast forward to getting this fancy new Droid Turbo that does everything about 1.5 months ago. Well, this thing EATS data. I really don't think it is just that I'm using the phone THAT much more but maybe so? It is also unrelated to the WiFi counting as data issue as well because I rarely ever use my phone with WiFi. The first month I went over my 2 gig limit and was at 2.8 gig. Now I'm almost 1/2 way through my month and I'm already at .8gig and all I do with my phone is read SOME email and read Facebook every now and again.

What is frustrating to me and my gripe is I have this phone that will do all sorts of cool things and will browse the web nicely and stream music and on and on yet I feel like I'm limited in what I can do because if I do anything other than email and Facebook (and I have auto video playing OFF) I'm going to go over my 2gig "allowance". I'd like to stream music but feel I "can't" because it takes too much data. I'd like to use the Slingbox app I bought a while back but "can't" because I'll definitely go over my allowance. I have a home PC and do almost all my computer stuff on that PC and just use my phone when I'm away from home for casual browsing of Facebook and checking of email.

I know I could suck it up and just pay for more data but, damn, this thing is expensive enough already. I used my other phone for a lot of stuff when it was new and hardly ever got close to the 2gig limit so thought it was not going to be a big deal to give up my unlimited data (heard it was going away for everyone anyway in the near future so figured what the heck) but boy was I wrong! Either this phone just loves to suck stuff in through its data stream or I just use it WAY more than I did my other phone but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Anyway, just a little ******** to make me feel better :) I have noticed cable companies upping the speeds for free. Here's to hoping that this competition carries over into the cell market and Verizon will begin to feel pressure to give us more data for the same money. I hate not using my phone for stuff I'd like to do just because I don't want to pay more for something that seems a bit expensive to start with.

While this is mostly just a rant post, I am curious if anybody else in the same boat? If there are a bunch of you always hitting your limit or going over with the Turbo and it isn't just me then maybe there is something odd going on with this phone. If just me then I guess I'll just have to admit I must be using my phone more than I use to :)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading that people were having issues with excessive data use, and it was apparently a bug. IIRC it has been resolved in the Advanced Calling update, but I'm not 100% on that.

ahein88

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Not that this will help but this is the very reason why I waited 2 months and bought it off contract on swappa for $450.00. Not worth losing unlimited data for $250 bucks more. Comes out to be 10 bucks a month if I own it for 2 years.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has already been feeling pressure. Last month they changed the price of 10 GB to be what 6 GB used to cost.

That said, 2 GB these days is entry level. Maybe it will go up to 3 at some point but I guess we'll just see what happens.

d_schaefer

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Connect to wifi wherever you can. Any data used over wifi doesn't count against your 2GB. I have mine on wifi at home and work and rarely use more than 0.5GB.