Motorola Starts Lollipop Soak Testing on Turbo

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Yup...

For those out there that haven't signed up in the Motorola Mobility Droid Turbo's forum, now would be a good time.

Bob Maida

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The longer we have to wait for the update ...... The less likely it will be buggy when we get it....

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Bob Maida

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I really believe that the longer we have to wait the more time it gives them to find and work out the bugs..

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I really believe that the longer we have to wait the more time it gives them to find and work out the bugs..

While I generally agree with your statement, we have to start somewhere so I am ready. If you want to get right down to it Kit Kat still has bugs depending on your configuration. Hit me with Lolly!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
While I generally agree with your statement, we have to start somewhere so I am ready. If you want to get right down to it Kit Kat still has bugs depending on your configuration. Hit me with Lolly!

Exactly. Any update is likely to have some bugs for some subset of the folks who get it. There's just no way to account for all the various ways we adjust our phones and the various apps we use and don't use. No two phones are alike, probably literally.

The legend is that the 2013 Droids got updates quickly. In reality, it is true that we got KitKat 4.4 sooner than most, but then we sat and waited while incremental updates were released before we finally leapfrogged to 4.4.4 a good number of months down the line. When I point this out in response to the not-the-whole-story "quick updates" legend, people generally respond with excuses about the incremental bumps having issues so Moto just waited. That's true of course, but it ignores that any update will have bugs (and probably full version updates would have the biggest), so it's really not an excuse.

Anyway, no matter when we get it it won't be perfect for all of us, so let's go.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
So has anyone actually gotten a soak test invite yet? I know I haven't , granted not everyone that signs up gets a invite .

slidesJ

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, not to be a wet dog, but unless someone has received an invite, hard to believe this site scooped every other Android news site 4 days ago and not a peep since then.

Would be gladly wrong though

Bob Maida

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I agree the phone works just fine and hopefully the camera will get a software update.. In the interim people need to get a life and go on..Let it be.....the update will come when it comes

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Unless there is some break through feature, such as telling me when it's time to trim my ear hairs, I'm fine with my phone and can wait for LP.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
While I understand what KPMcClave and others are saying in regards to fast updates, coming from where I did, they're leaps and bounds better than what I dealt with previously. Up until my Droid Maxx, I primarily used HTC phones, then went to the Galaxy S3, before coming to Moto. I knew the radios were better on the Motorola phones, but couldn't deal with MotoBlur. Once they started down the near stock Android road, I jumped. Now for the most part I'm seeing updates in a few months rather than 6 months to a year. No we didn't get updates for some of the KK versions, but they we essentially dealt with the HeartBleed issue. And most seemed to cause more issues than they solved. I'm OK skipping minor updates for a larger more refined update.

As far as Lollipop, I've got it on one of our households Nexus 7s, but the other has not and it's been quite awhile. Some are wondering if the update got pulled due to the previously mentioned memory leaks issue. Plus my battery life on the N7 that did receive it has gone down quite a bit. Since the last update we received boosted my Turbo's battery life, I'd rather not have it be the same or worse than it was before. Just my 2¢.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
While I understand what KPMcClave and others are saying in regards to fast updates, coming from where I did, they're leaps and bounds better than what I dealt with previously. Up until my Droid Maxx, I primarily used HTC phones, then went to the Galaxy S3, before coming to Moto. I knew the radios were better on the Motorola phones, but couldn't deal with MotoBlur. Once they started down the near stock Android road, I jumped. Now for the most part I'm seeing updates in a few months rather than 6 months to a year. No we didn't get updates for some of the KK versions, but they we essentially dealt with the HeartBleed issue. And most seemed to cause more issues than they solved. I'm OK skipping minor updates for a larger more refined update.

I don't disagree with you generally speaking, and it isn't even that I have some major issue with the Maxx updates I described. My comments here and when I address it elsewhere are more for the purpose of accuracy than arguing. That is, saying the 2013 Droids got "quick updates" is misleading. So my specifics are always intended to clarify that. People play fast and loose with specifics, especially the closer you get to Fanboy Town.

That said, if you wait long enough, your desire for a bigger update will happen by default, if you know what I mean. I would expect the biggest bugs and issues to occur in a full version bump (as with KitKat to Lollipop). I also expect that each incremental update is going to address specific issues that were created by its predecessors.

That means the biggest problems overall are probably in Android 5.0, with those addressed by 5.0.1., etc. We all know that isn't always perfect over all updates because sometimes they break other stuff and sometimes the updates are more about adding a feature than squashing bugs. It's reasonable to assume that each incremental update fixes more issues, though.

That brings me back to my original point. How long are you content to wait for a perfect release that isn't ever going to come?

Me, I just want the most up to date release as soon as possible. I think right now that would be 5.0.2?