Throwing in the towel

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Turbo fans!

I wanted to let you know that after 3 months and 4 Turbos, I am giving up. I think the device is terrific, has all the features one could want, but is ultimately flawed. My story:

I bought the Turbo Oct 31st, when it first came out. I traded in my Droid Maxx, which I was very fond of. I have been using exclusively Motorola droids since 2008 when the initial Droid came out. I support my "local" business (Motorola) because some of my engineer friends work for Motorola mobility and live in my neighborhood. I am a techie and I have been customizing android for the past 7 years. I consider myself a "power user" at minimum, "expert" at best.

The Turbo was great, except, I couldn't hear anyone on the other end of a call. Volume was simply too low. I was told to hold it differently. Still too low, and I am not hard of hearing. Ultimately, I decided to request an exchange after the software update failed to address the problem.

Replacement 1: It arrived by mail on time. However, the bottom bezel of the phone was separated from the screen/body. I could see what looked like components through the gap. It was a noticeable gap. I tried giving it a little shove to close it back up. No luck. I called and asked politely for another replacement. They obliged and sent a replacement. Refurbished like this one.

Replacement 2: The back of the phone had a dent in it. Not a deal breaker, but this one was too quiet yet again! I still can't hear people on the other line. Ugh. However, I decided that since Verizon would continue to ship refurbished phones, the likelihood of getting another lemon was high. So, I called Motorola directly. The issued an RMA and sent a "new" droid Turbo via fed ex, which arrived a few business days later.

Replacement 3: The phone from Motorola looked perfect on the outside. Booted it up, installed the software, and jumped for joy when I could hear the people on the other end of the phone. I also felt vindicated and validated that the volume proble was indeed a hardware issue. However, after 24 hours of use the phone completely died. Touch screen unresponsive. FDR multiple times. I took this device to the Verizon corporate store. They too were stumped.

Result: I am now on an edge agreement for a Motorola X 2014, basic black and 16 GB. Am I happy? No. I had to walk out of the store with a working phone. I need my cell phone to conduct my business and I have wasted COUNTLESS hours replacing, resetting, and rebuilding the Droid Turbo for the past 3 months. It's a huge distraction and annoyance. The cost to switch was ridiculous and has destroyed any loyalty I had with Verizon Wireless.

When this 2 year edge agreement is finished, I will be exploring options with other carriers. I would recommend to others not to enter into edge agreements, if they can be avoided. I am sorely disappointed with this experience, though I hope to continue to support the Motorola employee's jobs in my community. Hopefully, you all fare better than I did, and your devices work as they should. But, 4 chances and all my wasted time is enough investment for me.

Verizon, you won this round, but you lost me as a long term business customer.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your experience without ranting or whining. All of your complaints were completely valid, and it's a d@mn shame you had to settle for less, when there are clearly perfectly working Turbos in the wild; however, I don't blame you for giving up in in frustration.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It is disappointing to settle for something less. But, the amount of energy invested into making a phone work for me is time better spent doing other things. Best of luck!

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I sure hate to hear things like these. I have the Note 4, but every once in a while I feel like its Too big. (I'm in love with my note 4)
I thought about selling it and getting the Turbo since I liked the 2014 Moto x SO much. (battery life left a little to be desired )

Also considering the Sony Z3v. Not sure I can let go of my Note 4, but thats my only 2 options for fast flagship other than Note.
(iPhone is not an option)

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry for your experience, it def isn't a pleasant one. One question though, how is it Verizon's fault? It seems as if they were being very accommodating.

Posted via the Android Central App

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Wait, what? Your experience sucks but unless you left out some major details this makes less than zero sense.
You got several faulty devices, all manufactured by the same company. So now because of this, you're leaving the carrier, who didn't manufacture the phone, but staying loyal to the company that did manufacture the phone. How does that make sense? What am i missing?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your most unpleasant and disappointing experience with the Turbo. Best of luck with the MotoX.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Your experience doesn't sound great, but not sure why you blame Verizon or went with the Moto X instead.

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I can completely empathize with you. I had issues with the Motorola brand back in the flip phone days and swore them off because I went through 5 devices in 12 months. I equally blamed AT&T at the time as well because, after talking to the same rep for hours (over several conversations) I found out that they were just trying to push through their stock in order to remove the phone from their lineup. He also got me upgraded to an LG,which lasted me another year without issue.

Either way, this is your own situation and you are more than justified to feel the way you do. I hope you find the device that suits you and perhaps the carrier to suit your businesses needs.

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Wait, you get several faulty phones from Motorola and VERIZON is the culprit?! Why is this Verizon's fault?

jerryfuture

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I am in a Verizon store, I always check out the Droid Turbo. Always the same results!!! I call one of my friends, have to hold the phone to my ear in a way only a contortionist would feel comfortable with to hear my friend. After the update, The camera is a little faster, but still way too slow. Very very sad. I really looked forward to this phone.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Agree, it seems the Turbo had more than its share of reported problems and red flags upon release, that's why I passed on it and decided to wait for the new HTC One in a couple months.

That being said, have to echo what others have said....not sure how this is Verizon's fault. They didn't manufacture the phone. And it seems like they were more than accommodating in giving you replacement phones.

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, while there are mentions of issue similar to those of the OP, there are thousands of units that are near perfection. I tend to think it's realistic that a bad batch may have escaped which explains why some people have had issues after exchanges from the same source. Mine is easily the best phone I've owned and the same can be said for the friends & relatives who have them. No help for those with problems but overall IMHO, it's an absolutely outstanding product.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, while there are mentions of issue similar to those of the OP, there are thousands of units that are near perfection. I tend to think it's realistic that a bad batch may have escaped which explains why some people have had issues after exchanges from the same source. Mine is easily the best phone I've owned and the same can be said for the friends & relatives who have them. No help for those with problems but overall IMHO, it's an absolutely outstanding product.

No question specs wise the Turbo is one of the best phones on the market now. Just too many reports of battery going wonky, the phone eating up people's data plans and call volume problems and weak wifi signal (which I tested for myself at the Verizon store) and so on and so forth. If you got one without these issues I'm sure it's a great phone. I just decided to wait, my RMHD is still going strong so not in any hurry to move. Targeting the HTC One M9 which is coming in March.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been on these forums for a while and look at posts for all the new devices. Every single device has the same posts where peoole feel it was released too early and some got absolute lemons. Seems the same for every device. I got one of those devices when I had a Droid Charge and it never could hold a good 4G signal.

That is not the case with my Turbo. I've never had any of the problems mentioned and never had trouble hearing callers. In fact, after the update for advanced calling I often have to turn the volume down. Early on I had an issue with rebooting while on a call. I went to the Verizon store and they put in a new SIM card and I've never had that happen again. I do know how frustrating it is to get a lemon, but in this case for me the Turbo performs flawlessly.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Shoulda got an iPhone.

Joke aside, this really has been the most depressing forum on android central when every other post is about something that doesn't work or is completely busted on arrival. It's a real shame.

Posted via the Android Central App

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Regarding my post:

I chose to leave out details regarding the costs I incurred throughout the process. To clarify, all of the suspect devices were manufactured within days of each other (early October). And, I am fairly convinced it was a bad batch. However, Verizon would not supply me with a new working device, only refurbished models from the same batch. When I pressed them to make it right by giving me a new working decice, or switching devices, they dug in and refused to help. Because I run my all of business devices on the same Verizon account for the last 15 years, need to retain my phone number, and can't be without a working phone, and can't afford to waste more time, I was forced to buy out the Turbo device on an Edge contract, forfeit the device to the store and then start a new edge contract for a new device. Ridiculous. I will never agree to their edge contract again. It's lousy.

So, my beef with Verizon is that they setup their contracts and policies such that a user who receives a lemon has limited recourse. If I had time, I would pursue a refund, and may still do so. So, to summarize, Verizon has to be aware of the problem with this device, but they do not empower their employees to solve customer's problems in special circumstances.

Therefore, I ask the Verizon defenders, how many replacement devices (considering loss of time and productivity, and trips back to the UPS store) should a person have to endure before they just issue you a new working device? They were going to send me a 5th refurbished one, and I just lost my patience.

I should have kept the Droid Maxx. Worked fine for me. I got a case of upgraditis and learned my lesson.

Good luck with your Turbos

Incidently, the Moto X 2014 is great. I am getting 29 hours on the battery, it already has Lollipop, screen and speed are great, plenty of WORKING case options, it is lighter and smaller, little or no bloat ware, and little if any software bugs so far. The downside is limited storage and smaller battery. I moved all my data to the cloud and I'm good to go for the moment.