Cracked screen/screen assurance experience

jugdish

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's my sob story. I was out for New Years and in a bar at somewhere around 5am. You know how they say nothing good ever happens after midnight, well that was true here. I had my phone in my hand and a girl standing next to me accidentally bumped into my arm and knocked my caseless phone out of my hand. It dropped about 3 feet onto a tile floor hitting the bottom left corner first as you can see by the picture.

I wasn't happy, but I also knew that even though I didn't have insurance, that I had the Droid Turbo screen assurance program to get it replaced, so I let the girl buy me a drink and that was that.

I called Verizon the next day to activate an older phone, because the Turbo was completely unresponsive, and to file a claim with the screen assurance program. The activation went fine, but the rep had no clue what I was talking about with assurance program. He just kept saying, "sir you don't have insurance" and I kept explaining that I didn't get insurance because of the assurance program. He told me it must be a Motorola program and that he would transfer me to them. Finally I read him the FAQ from Verizon's website to convince him to put me on hold to ask someone else. He did, took about 20 minutes and he came back saying yes I would get a new phone and telling me how great a program it was.

Took longer than I had hoped, but my replacement phone should be here today. I can't wait, my old phone seems like trash compared to the Turbo! Yes I will be putting insurance on the replacement, no case though, the phone looks to sweet IMHO.

TL DR summary: Screen cracked cause of a drunk girl, Verizon rep had no clue about the screen assurance program, but after some convincing he found the info about the program and replaced my phone.

IMG_20150103_125243.jpg

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Without protection it's an accident waiting to happen again!

Good luck! You'll need it.

Kind of interesting. Even those in the "I don't like a case" camp usually acquiesce after they've dropped their phone once.

I know it's a nice looking phone, but the fact is, nobody else noticed this your phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Love how people are jumping all over you for not getting a case. The fact is, most cases will do little to protect from a shattered screen. Even the ones that claim to help don't guarantee it, because they know a screen can shatter even with the case.

Go caseless to your heart's desire! I would rather be a bit careful with my phone than bulk up an already large phone with a GopherBox Extra Heft case.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I guess I was being a bit of a d***. That's not why he came here and I was out of line.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Love how people are jumping all over you for not getting a case. The fact is, most cases will do little to protect from a shattered screen. Even the ones that claim to help don't guarantee it, because they know a screen can shatter even with the case.

Go caseless to your heart's desire! I would rather be a bit careful with my phone than bulk up an already large phone with a GopherBox Extra Heft case.
Far be it from me to tell anyone else what to do with their phone, but I have to disagree with the statement that a case "will do little to protect from a shattered screen." Obviously if you drop the phone flat on the screen or on to something pointy or so forth, the screen can break even with a case. But the OP said he dropped his on the corner. A case would certainly prevent the screen from breaking in that instance. It has happened to me many times. I have dropped my RMHD (with Diztronic case) countless times and remove the case it still looks like it came out of the box brand new. Same with my previous phone. For anyone who uses their phone a lot, it is inevitable that it will get dropped. Numerous times. Taking it in and out of your pocket or holster or purse dozens of times a day every day. Trying to maneuver the phone with one hand while eating or whatever with the other. I don't want to think of how many phones I would have gone through the last 5 years if I had not used cases.

That being said, to each their own. Maybe I am just unbelievably clumsy... :)

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Far be it from me to tell anyone else what to do with their phone, but I have to disagree with the statement that a case "will do little to protect from a shattered screen." Obviously if you drop the phone flat on the screen or on to something pointy or so forth, the screen can break even with a case. But the OP said he dropped his on the corner. A case would certainly prevent the screen from breaking in that instance. It has happened to me many times. I have dropped my RMHD (with Diztronic case) countless times and remove the case it still looks like it came out of the box brand new. Same with my previous phone. For anyone who uses their phone a lot, it is inevitable that it will get dropped. Numerous times. Taking it in and out of your pocket or holster or purse dozens of times a day every day. Trying to maneuver the phone with one hand while eating or whatever with the other. I don't want to think of how many phones I would have gone through the last 5 years if I had not used cases.

That being said, to each their own. Maybe I am just unbelievably clumsy... :)

To counter that, my RAZR Maxx was naked from day one for almost 3 years. I dropped it quite a few times, sometimes the dreaded corner impact happened. Aside from a scuff or two on the bezel, my screen remained like new the entire time I had the phone (not even a hairline scratch). On the contrary, someone recently posted to this very forum that they shattered the Turbo screen in an Otterbox case with a corner impact. To think a case, any case, will protect the phone screen from any corner impact ignores the science of angular G forces and is just plain silly.

A case is meant to protect the phone, not the screen. True, it does add some shock absorption properties. But, that doesn't mean 'case = phone lives forever' as some make it out to be.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
A case is meant to protect the phone, not the screen.
Says who? In fact right in the product description it says "TPU offers excellent shock absorption and abrasion resistance while maintaining a thin form factor. The raised wrap-around edges make for a "lay-on-the-table" design that helps protect the glass screen from damage."

True, it does add some shock absorption properties.
Exactly, that's the point.

But, that doesn't mean 'case = phone lives forever' as some make it out to be.
I have never heard or seen anyone say that. But I guarantee you the chances of a phone surviving a drop are much higher with a case than without one. ;-)

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You said, 'A case would certainly prevent the screen from breaking in that instance.' My statement was an exaggeration of that.

A case does offer some protection, but just how much depends on what type of case it is. But, NO case is as bulletproof as you claim. Unless you can name me a manufacturer that will replace your phone if their case fails, then that statement is true as even the case makers won't stand behind their products.

My main point is that ill-wishes are being passed onto this person because they *gasp* decided not to use a case after dropping their phone once before.

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Had a similar situation with Verizon CS about the screen replacement program. Cracked my screen last night dropping it on the plastic mat under my office chair. It probably hit the frame of my chair wheels based on the sound it made, but I didn't see it hit when it hit. It happens to be in a case, but less for protection than to carry it on my belt. Anyway, when I called CS I was also referred to Motorola for screen replacement, but eventually convinced the rep to find out about the screen replacement program. The second person I talked to at Verizon customer service did say it was likely that the replacement phone through Verizon would be refurbished, but the replacement phone through Asurion would "highly likely be new." I have no idea if this statement is based on fact or if it's a way to avoid Verizon covering the screen replacement via a new phone and passing it on to Asurion. Of course, the Verizon program is free for one replacement and the Asurion program has a $99 deductible. I guess there's no way of knowing which way has a better chance of getting a new phone as a replacement unless people start reporting what they received under which program. Me, I prefer a new replacement rather than a refurbished unit.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Had a similar situation with Verizon CS about the screen replacement program. Cracked my screen last night dropping it on the plastic mat under my office chair. It probably hit the frame of my chair wheels based on the sound it made, but I didn't see it hit when it hit. It happens to be in a case, but less for protection than to carry it on my belt. Anyway, when I called CS I was also referred to Motorola for screen replacement, but eventually convinced the rep to find out about the screen replacement program. The second person I talked to at Verizon customer service did say it was likely that the replacement phone through Verizon would be refurbished, but the replacement phone through Asurion would "highly likely be new." I have no idea if this statement is based on fact or if it's a way to avoid Verizon covering the screen replacement via a new phone and passing it on to Asurion. Of course, the Verizon program is free for one replacement and the Asurion program has a $99 deductible. I guess there's no way of knowing which way has a better chance of getting a new phone as a replacement unless people start reporting what they received under which program. Me, I prefer a new replacement rather than a refurbished unit.

Asurion would send you a new in box phone with a Turbo charger. Verizon would send a refurbished phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Asurion did send a new phone. Can't say whether Verizon's would've been refurbished, but I expect you are correct there too.

Verizon would send a Certified Like New Replacement (CLNR) for sure. However, at this point, those phones are more or less new phones since it's a new device. 4-6 months down the road is likely when that stock is gone and true refurbished devices take effect.

So funny .... 'refurbished' only means one thing:
Someone else's problem !

Not necessarily. Most of the time the CLNR devices are just fine. You'll hear the horror stories because those with a good experience will not bother making a post about it.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
1) Glad you got it replaced. The one time screen replacement is definitely a selling point.
2) You let the girl off way too easy with just buying you a drink. 😉

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
So funny .... 'refurbished' only means one thing:
Someone else's problem !

Why? You think they just take someone broken returned phone and send it out to someone else? I've had fewer problems with refurbished stuff than with new because at least the refurb has been looked at and checked out before shipping it out again.

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
"Most of the time the CLNR devices are just fine."
I will agree that's true to some extent. What's not fine is ... you buy a brand new phone. Ten days later, you find out it has a definite problem. You turn it in. Does Verizon give you a brand new phone ? Depends on how old your model is. If it just came out, then there are probably not many 'refurbished phones' out in the wild yet, you many get a brand new phone. Otherwise ... most likely a used phone. Besides, how much can really be 'refurbished' on a device that is mainly a chip?
I have couple of friends that work for Verizon (not in sales) and both have told me that the refurbished paradigm is pretty ... sketchy.
===

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Asurion would send you a new in box phone with a Turbo charger. Verizon would send a w refurbished phone.

This has not been my experience with Asurion with several replacement devices over the years. Although, I have never received anything from them that did not appear anything but new, or that did not perform better than the original. But they all had a sticker stating that the device is refurbished.

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
This has not been my experience with Asurion with several replacement devices over the years. Although, I have never received anything from them that did not appear anything but new, or that did not perform better than the original. But they all had a sticker stating that the device is refurbished.

Mine was brand in the box with a Turbo charger just as Eclipse said.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I've had to use Asurion twice and my sister once. I got liquid damage on a Thunderbolt from a failed InvisibleShield install and I spilled Pepsi on my Turbo. The Pepsi was a freak accident with a bottle I thought was sealed. Makes me sad since I never need insurance normally. Anyways, my sister needed a Droid RAZR Maxx replaced. All 3 of those phones came new in box with new SIM cards and chargers.

There are cases when you'll get refurbished. I guess it depends if the phone is older or newer.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had to use Asurion twice and my sister once. I got liquid damage on a Thunderbolt from a failed InvisibleShield install and I spilled Pepsi on my Turbo. The Pepsi was a freak accident with a bottle I thought was sealed. Makes me sad since I never need insurance normally. Anyways, my sister needed a Droid RAZR Maxx replaced. All 3 of those phones came new in box with new SIM cards and chargers.

There are cases when you'll get refurbished. I guess it depends if the phone is older or newer.

Never had to use insurance, but I agree with your age of phone guess. However, I would think with the free screen replacement through VZW/Moto, that may limit Asurion's refurb supply. So, it may well be that Asurion will be sending new devices most of the time for an extended period of time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon