TYLT VU Wireless Charging Car Mount

ajc312

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Been waiting a while for this to be released, and they finally have one color in stock (gray)! Just ordered, will circle back with initial impressions once it arrives. I drive a Ford Focus ST and plan to hardwire it with an add-a-fuse kit.

TYLT • VU • Wireless Charger

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Tough to nail down the details based on Tylt's site, but I believe they'll come with a cigarette lighter plug that I'll have to modify to hardwire.
Same here, clear as mud. I'd actually prefer the mobility a near, well designed lighter/option plug would offer.

ajc312

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Just got this by e-mail, in case anyone finds it helpful:

"We have received limited quantities of the gray color to be followed by the other colors over the next few weeks."

Vu-1.jpgVu-2.jpgVu-3.jpg

ajc312

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Same here, clear as mud. I'd actually prefer the mobility a near, well designed lighter/option plug would offer.

My guess is the "Extra USB port for charging 2 devices simultaneously" they're touting will be located on the lighter/accessory plug rather than on the cradle itself.

ajc312

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
EDIT:

I just received mine in the mail. The power solution is indeed a cigarette lighter/accessory plug.
IMG_20150206_131337097_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
EDIT:

I just received mine in the mail. The power solution is indeed a cigarette lighter/accessory plug.
View attachment 162132
Yeesh. Could they have made that any bulkier? That things going to stick way out of the power adapter in the car. I'm not even sure I could get it to install in my own car due to power residing inside a recessed compartment with a top sliding door. And odd design choice from a company that designs such slick looking products.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Can the power cord be disconnected from the unit?
I'm looking for a similar setup including hardwiring into my Ram truck, but I need the ability to unplug the unit to store it in the center console while tucking the cord out of sight.
I travel frequently and my truck is parked in long term parking for extended periods. It'd be best if I didn't have a flashy device holder openly announcing itself to possible thieves. I followed this exact procedure with my TomTom unit (hardwired) in my old Tahoe and it worked beautifully. Would love that for a Qi charger for my Turbo now.

Posted via the Android Central App

ajc312

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, see the picture of the charging cable earlier in this thread. Plugs into the bottom of the cradle, left-hand side.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, see the picture of the charging cable earlier in this thread. Plugs into the bottom of the cradle, left-hand side.

Aha. Yes I see that now. My apologies for being a doofus, lol
Thank you for the info and pictures! Now to figure out if this will work on my Ram truck windshield..

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax