new droid turbo user! great phone. had some questions though.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
received the new droid turbo today and so far i like it. seems to be a nice upgrade from the droid maxx.

i had a few questions that i hope you can help me with.

1. what is the "command center"? do i need it or can i disable it.

2. when texting on this phone whenever i create a new text, it shows "people you recently contacted" i don't want to see this and the droid maxx did not have that either. how can i disable it so it does not appear? this really bothers me so hopefully there is a solution to remove it.

3. the camera is 21 megapixels. can you select how many megapixels you want it to be? i would prefer to take pics in 10-14 megapixels if possible.

4. in the droid maxx you had a "contacts" widget in which i was able to add my name / number / email address. this phone does not have that anymore as the "contacts" widget is removed for this new model. is there a place i can add my personal information?

thanks everyone for their assistance.

i did not realize "backup assistance" is not used anymore for the contacts but the "cloud" seems to work fine.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I can only answer 2 of your questions.

3. There are apps that will let you take different resolution pictures. If you multiply the horizontal and vertical, that's how many MP. For instance, a 640X480 picture is 307200 pixels. 1024X768 is 786432 pixels.

4. Add a contace named ICE (it stands for In Case of Emergency). Put your own name, address and phone number in there. (It's the first thing the police look for if you're in a condition in which you can't speak - in shock, unconscious, etc.) If no one's going to be home, add a second phone number for your wife, parents,etc.

You can also put owner information on the lock screen. (I have a "If found, please call ..." message there.)

Erick Garnica

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
1. Command center is a clock widget app from Motorola which tell you the weather, upcoming events when you tap on the edge, and battery status. Honestly you don't really needed but all up to you.

2. Don't use stock messaging app and get Google messenger which is so much better where you can search all texts, compose new one with recent contacts or search right away, best of all you can send and receive mms texts through WiFi which no app can do because most of the time you need your data on to receive or sends mms.

Posted via the Android Central App

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
1 - Command Center is the circle clock widget. Some don't like it, but I think its a good home screen widget.
2 - Not sure what text program you are using, but the stock messaging app (green icon) doesn't do that for me. It has my old text convos, but if I start a new text it just lets me type the name.
3 - Yes, but you'll need an external app for specific resolution selections.
4 - The contacts app is now the 'People' app, and you can add your personal information. I just don't recall how.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The Command Center widget can be disabled if you want. Settings/Apps/All. I use Textra for my SMS app.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
thanks everyone for the replies back.

in regards to the messaging, i was using the VZW messaging + which i hated so i went back to the stock messaging app (green widget) that was on my droid maxx.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
thanks everyone for the replies back.

in regards to the messaging, i was using the VZW messaging + which i hated so i went back to the stock messaging app (green widget) that was on my droid maxx.

Seriously - that app is horrible. I'd suggest trying the free Google Messenger or Textra from the Play Store. Both are much, much better than the stock messaging app.

In the People app there is a "Me" contact that should be at the top - that's where you put in your info. Also, settings / security & screen lock has a setting for "Owner info" that can display any text that you like on the lock screen.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
4. The default camera aspect at 4:3 is 21 mp, if you switch it in the app to 16:9 it drops to 15.5mp. If you're happy with that, the pictures taken match your phones aspect ratio so they look better the phone.

Posted via the Turbo

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
4. The default camera aspect at 4:3 is 21 mp, if you switch it in the app to 16:9 it drops to 15.5mp. If you're happy with that, the pictures taken match your phones aspect ratio so they look better the phone.

Posted via the Turbo

isn't the default 16:9 15.5 megapixels not the other way around?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Seriously - that app is horrible. I'd suggest trying the free Google Messenger or Textra from the Play Store. Both are much, much better than the stock messaging app.

In the People app there is a "Me" contact that should be at the top - that's where you put in your info. Also, settings / security & screen lock has a setting for "Owner info" that can display any text that you like on the lock screen.

I use the stock messenger, good enough for my needs. I did take a look at Google Messenger, but the recent reviews are not that kind.

leprechaun007

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Textra does exactly what I think the stock messaging app is missing. The Google camera app will definitely allow you to lower the resolution, most others will as well. Still can't use anything besides the Moto camera app with the cool "double twist to open" feature, to my knowledge.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Textra looks OK, but has a lot of, "This app is great, but..." Reviews. Again, never had an issue with the stock app, so don't think I need the bells and whistles of a 3rd party app.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i will comment that after having this phone for a week, i prefer the size of the droid maxx over the droid turbo.

it is easier and more comfortable to hold and use with one hand (internet, texting, etc.).

besides that, the droid turbo is a great phone.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
i will comment that after having this phone for a week, i prefer the size of the droid maxx over the droid turbo.

it is easier and more comfortable to hold and use with one hand (internet, texting, etc.).

I feel the same way. The Maxx was the perfect size.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit, I prefer the size of my Razr Maxx over my Turbo. It just seemed to feel better in my hand. That being said, there's absolutely no comparison as it relates to performance. The Turbo has it all over my old Razr Maxx.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I agree.