Turbo VS. Water = Need Insurance Feedback

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So, my Turbo went for a quick dip in the bathtub tonight when my puppy knocked it off of a nearby table. I watched it happen (que slow mo music and effects) and immediately scooped it out. Was submerged less than 5 seconds.. but it seems that was long enough.

The screen began to flicker with white lines then the display went dark. I removed the SIM card tray/volume rocker and set it on an angle in hopes of letting drip dry. Fast forward a number of hours.. it showed no signs of any remaining water (nothing came spurting out when I blew into the SIM card slot - water did come out and bubbles could be seen near the microphone holes when I did this earlier). I tried turning it on (fingers crossed). No visual, but the boot up sounds and vibration all worked. It then continued to replay the boot up sounds for nearly 10 minutes (I'm supposing it was trying to reboot the display). I have succumbed to the fact that the display no longer functions and I need to call Asurion.

I'm curious if anyone else has had their Turbo replaced by Asurion?
What was the experience like?
What was the deductible?
Did you receive a brand new, in the box Turbo with turbo charger and manuals?
Do you receive a new SIM card or use the existing one?
From filing the claim to the new Turbo in your hands, how many days did the entire process take?
I know you return the damaged phone, but do you return the box, manuals and charger too?
Will I have to update my VZW account with the new phone's info (IMEI, ID #, etc.) or will that be done by Asurion?

I've always carried the Asurion insurance on all of my phone's, but this will be the first time I've ever used it. Any help, suggestions and or feedback is extremely appreciated. I'm just wanting an idea of what to expect.

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I have not replaced my Turbo through Asurion yet, but I have dealt with them in the past.

You generally receive a replacement device within a day two, depending on when you make the claim, and you receive a bare, almost-always-refurbished device with no accessories. As far as SIM cards, I haven't had to replace an LTE device yet so I'm not sure, but you'll likely receive a new one that will activate your phone automatically.

The whole process is relatively painless except for the wait when your original device is completely nonfunctional, but you get the replacement first, then return the broken device in the same packaging, with no accessories and likely no SIM card.

Fortunately, this will all be explained when you file the claim and on a sheet of paper that comes with the replacement. I believe the deductible on these devices is either $100 or $150.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had to use Asurion on my Turbo when I spilled Pepsi into the speaker phone.

1. Experience was great and easy to deal with. If the device is in stock its even better. I noticed at that time the 64 GB Turbo was hit or miss.

2. $99 deductible

3. Brand new, in the box with a Turbo Charger and SIM card ore inserted.

4. SIM was pre-installed. Just call Verizon to activate rather than pull the old one out.

5. If you order by the shipping cutoff time you'll see it the next business day (Monday-Friday). So if it ships on Monday you'll have it Tuesday. If they are out of stock you'll receive email updates regarding your order and one when you can complete the order.

6. You only return the phone. Remove the old SIM card and throw the SIM away.

7. Call Verizon to activate the new SIM and they will ask for the IMEI of the new device.

As a side note when you get the phone make sure there are no hard bumps on the back if its a Ballistic Nylon. I've pretty much for the most part concluded that that bump equals a blown speaker. I think its a badly placed screw or loose screw so the speaker vibrates.

I also believe refurbished devices can happen but usually when a device is older. Most cases of new devices are new in box. Although, I prefer the refurbished because 3 brand new Turbos for me have had bad speakers and the refurbished was the only one that didn't.

File the claim and look forward to the working Turbo!

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the late night/early morning replies guys.

I just submitted my claim online. Pretty simple and straightforward process.
Seems the deductible has increased.. was $149 for me (32GB BN).
Will be shipped with a new SIM card and charger (assuming that means it will be new?).
I'll get it on Tuesday. Anyone know what carrier they use?
Overall, I'm pleased with the process so far. And if the replacement is new and the included charger is a turbo charger then I'll be even more pleased. Haven't had much luck with refurbished phones in years passed and I've been considering buying a second turbo charger anyway.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the late night/early morning replies guys.

I just submitted my claim online. Pretty simple and straightforward process.
Seems the deductible has increased.. was $149 for me (32GB BN).
Will be shipped with a new SIM card and charger (assuming that means it will be new?).
I'll get it on Tuesday. Anyone know what carrier they use?
Overall, I'm pleased with the process so far. And if the replacement is new and the included charger is a turbo charger then I'll be even more pleased. Haven't had much luck with refurbished phones in years passed and I've been considering buying a second turbo charger anyway.

That will be new.

$149? Wow, I just checked and it seems the price went up since I used it in either December or January. I am about to drop Asurion with a deductible that high. *This was checking the overall prices, not my personal price".

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just checked and my deductible is $99. I'm not sure why your deductible is more since a 32 GB isn't more expensive.

I did the "mock" filing with me having possession of my device but it has liquid damage. Did you?

Attachments

• 1423997581389.jpg
    1423997581389.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 77

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, have possession but with liquid damage. That's exactly how I filled it out. Very interesting that my 32GB would be $50 more than your 64GB. I may have to call and inquire about that.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, have possession but with liquid damage. That's exactly how I filled it out. Very interesting that my 32GB would be $50 more than your 64GB. I may have to call and inquire about that.

I'm not sure if it matters but I have Total Equipment Coverage (TEC) for $9 a month since I think it went up. That's a lot to spend on insurance now a days. :(

The odd thing is if I check Asurion main site it says my deductible should be $149 for a 64 GB with TEC

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I think I got it. I have had insurance since October 31st on the phone and prices changed in November I think.

Attachments

• 1423999076996.jpg
    1423999076996.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 71

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
This sounds unfortunate, I have dealt with insurance once. It was with my samsung schi760, it fell out of my pocket as I got into my car and I crushed it closing the door. Once I got my Droid X and then Gnex I dropped insurance and used an otterbox defender. Now with my Turbo I have no insurance except for the lifeproof case and their insurance. I registered the case and have a 1 year phone replacement if it recieve water damage while in the case. I always keep the phone in the lifeproof and regularly use it under water and it is a wonderful case (so long as feedback while talking doesnt bother you). Personally I dont talk on the phone much so that is a fine trade off.

I would highly recommend the lifeproof to anyone who needs the phone waterPROOF

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
holy cow !! 11 bucks a month plus a 150 deduct ?? thats way too deep for my pockets, no wonder why i declined insurance. i'll take my chances with no insurance. if something happens to it then swappa.com here i come !! BTW, do let us know if you received a brand new phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
holy cow !! 11 bucks a month plus a 150 deduct ?? thats way too deep for my pockets, no wonder why i declined insurance. i'll take my chances with no insurance. if something happens to it then swappa.com here i come !! BTW, do let us know if you received a brand new phone.

Honestly $9 is the most anyone should pay. The $11 adds "higher tech support" supposedly which no one needs. TEC for $9 has an extended warranty, overnight shipping of warranty devices through Verizon and Asurion insurance.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

My monthly premium was $6.99, went up last summer (I think) to $8.00, and just recently (when I upgraded to the Turbo) it was bumped up to $9. It may seem outrageous to some, but I have chosen to maintain my Asurion coverage through these price hikes as I really need the piece of mind that I'm covered no matter what may happen. Granted, I never would have predicted needing to use my insurance due to my puppy trying to make my phone a rubber ducky in the bathtub... but I'm covered all the same.

I run my small business solely with my Kindle, cell phone and Ram truck. If any of those enter downtime, my business (and my income) immediately feel the impact and suffer greatly. Therefore, I simply cannot afford to have a phone sans insurance. Yes, the costs involved are annoying but they are easily outweighed by the pros (for me at least). I do not have the time to find my own replacement and sell the defective unit on eBay or Swappa.

The bottom line for me is I pay the monthly premium for the convenience -- phone not working, sign in to Asurion website, fill out claim info, pay deductible, replacement enroute (usually overnight, received next day). Done. From what I understand, the whole process would take less than 48 hours, but my incident occurred on a Saturday of a holiday weekend.. so I'll have my replacement come Tuesday. Still, I'm quite pleased thus far and will continue to carry insurance. My business (and sanity) depend on it.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Honestly Id rather take the $9 a month and put it in a jar with the $150 and keep that as a mini savings Chances are you wont need insurance that often, and therefore the funds will become greater overtime. Insurance is based off statistics and probability. Insurance companies make their money because the chances of phones needing replacement arent a high as non needing replacement, therefore they bank that money each month. Become your own insurance company for your phone and over the years youll have a nice little savings.

Ex, I havent needed insurance for a phone in 4 years. Thats 48 months I would have paid monthly insurance, *9 is $432 I saved by not having insurance when I didnt need it. Yes of course you could say I get a brand new phone day one and it breaks, insurance saved alot of money with the $150 deductible on a $650 device. But in my opinion, id rather pocket all that money instead of giving it to insurance companies and with it buy a rough and tough proven piece of physical insurance.

Just my .02 and advice, if your very clumsy (not saying the OP is or anyone else), then maybe insurance is a good thing for you

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly Id rather take the $9 a month and put it in a jar with the $150 and keep that as a mini savings Chances are you wont need insurance that often, and therefore the funds will become greater overtime. Insurance is based off statistics and probability. Insurance companies make their money because the chances of phones needing replacement arent a high as non needing replacement, therefore they bank that money each month. Become your own insurance company for your phone and over the years youll have a nice little savings.

Ex, I havent needed insurance for a phone in 4 years. Thats 48 months I would have paid monthly insurance, *9 is $432 I saved by not having insurance when I didnt need it. Yes of course you could say I get a brand new phone day one and it breaks, insurance saved alot of money with the $150 deductible on a $650 device. But in my opinion, id rather pocket all that money instead of giving it to insurance companies and with it buy a rough and tough proven piece of physical insurance.

Just my .02 and advice, if your very clumsy (not saying the OP is or anyone else), then maybe insurance is a good thing for you

Oh I agree! I have gone years without insurance and the phone never drops or breaks from spills. I have insurance and I spill during a long gaming night.

Lesson? Insurance is a jinx :p

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My monthly premium was $6.99, went up last summer (I think) to $8.00, and just recently (when I upgraded to the Turbo) it was bumped up to $9. It may seem outrageous to some, but I have chosen to maintain my Asurion coverage through these price hikes as I really need the piece of mind that I'm covered no matter what may happen. Granted, I never would have predicted needing to use my insurance due to my puppy trying to make my phone a rubber ducky in the bathtub... but I'm covered all the same.

I run my small business solely with my Kindle, cell phone and Ram truck. If any of those enter downtime, my business (and my income) immediately feel the impact and suffer greatly. Therefore, I simply cannot afford to have a phone sans insurance. Yes, the costs involved are annoying but they are easily outweighed by the pros (for me at least). I do not have the time to find my own replacement and sell the defective unit on eBay or Swappa.

The bottom line for me is I pay the monthly premium for the convenience -- phone not working, sign in to Asurion website, fill out claim info, pay deductible, replacement enroute (usually overnight, received next day). Done. From what I understand, the whole process would take less than 48 hours, but my incident occurred on a Saturday of a holiday weekend.. so I'll have my replacement come Tuesday. Still, I'm quite pleased thus far and will continue to carry insurance. My business (and sanity) depend on it.

I can see your reasons, for some it is worth it. For most its just "another bill" The insurance process seems to be very easy as described.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
One thing to point out is that (unless something changed since the last time I was covered) assurion only allows two replacements and then they will no longer insure you, at least until you get another phone. I wouldn't be too careless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae