Vehicle: 2015 Forester premium, non-nav

Troubleshooting: Tried several phones, mixed results below:
Droid Turbo, Android 4.4.4 - fails as soon as I tried connecting
LG G2, Android 4.4.2 - Asked for pin but failed each time
Samsung S5, Android 4.4.2 - Asked for pin but failed each time
HTC One M8, Android 4.4.4 - Failed first time, worked second time
This phone was rooted with a custom rom
Iphone 4 - worked no problem

I also tried changing the PIN to 0000 once we got one of the android phones paired. I then tried pairing my phone (turbo) and when it came to the pin, it defaulted back to 1234.

I have paired both the Samsung and my turbo to our other car, 2013 Impreza with no problems.

All of this information leads me to believe it's some sort of android problem, just wondering if anybody else has come across this and found a solution yet. I tried searching and I found a bunch on the Bluetooth dropping connectivity but I can't even get it paired.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

pepsijunky

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Funny, I also own a 2015 Forester, but mine does have Nav. That could make my experience totally different than yours.

I haven't had any trouble pairing, but the dropping of connectivity and other glitches is constant. Really the worst part about this car.

I wish I could be more help, but maybe you need to take it to the dealership and see if they can help?

Wasco Tokarchick

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem on my '14 Forester. Car Media rejects my LG G3. I've tried many times and failed. The dealer couldn't pair it, said my phone was too new, WHAT? Email Subaru customer support, no help. I've paired this phone with 7 other vehicles without a problem. Really getting frustrated. I'll get back if I ever find a solution.

KingDustin007

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I took it to the dealership yesterday, they weren't sure why it wouldn't pair. We tried the salesman's iphone and it worked fine... I've heard doing just the voice commands might help so I'm going to try that again this afternoon. I'll keep this updated though, hopefully we can find a solution.

eabaggot

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2014 Outback and can link my phone, but sometimes the BT link breaks and I have to reboot the car if I want it back. That's the main annoyance I have.
But you should at least be able to get it to link. My dealership linked my phone for me when I bought the car.
You might check your BT option to make the phone visible to all nearby devices.

KingDustin007

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I finally got it working today. I ended using a friend's phone for the initial connection. Under the phone settings I changed the passkey to 0000, using the voice commands. (I was originally changing the pin under the security option) I was then able to pair my phone and delete my friends. I hope this helps anybody that runs into the same problem. I will let my local dealership know as they didn't have any ideas either.

Thanks!

pihutch

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem with my '12 Outback and my wife's Lexus (see link below). Changing the PIN to 0000 also solved the problem for me, but I still can't keep both of them in my paired devices list at the same time (i.e. if I want to pair to my wife's car, I have to unpair my car). I'm hoping the Lollipop update will fix this problem because my old MaxHD didn't have this problem running 4.3.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/461534-droid-turbo-bluetooth-tip.html

Wasco Tokarchick

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I've finally found that if I change the pin AND the Access code to 0000 using a different paired phone, then deleting that phone I can pair the LG. Then I can repair the other phone and they both stay paired.

linemane47

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
We purchased a 2015 forester and had no problem pairing our s4 Samsung, the problems with the standard radio is that its voice command system is useless. We at first thought it was the radio and after finally getting the radio replaced found the new was no better than the first. Subaru knows there is a problem with this system but all they say is it is working to the best of its ability. We are now started to file a lemmon law complaint with our state

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I know this has been solved but I had a similar issue on my 2012 Forester and Galaxy S3. If I connected to bluetooth through the head unit, it would forget the connection the next time the car was started. If I connected it through the voice system, it would keep the connection. So now I just connect every phone through the annoying voice system. Just something else to try if someone in the future comes across this thread and is having this issue.

bigfatmouth

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Wow. I cannot thank you enough! A lot of 2011-2014 WRX owners have been dumping their truly awful HU and buying the Forester or Impreza HUs in order to get the better screen (it's pretty much plug and play). I bought one off eBay, only to find that it would not pair with my MotoX. I was just about ready to pull the unit out and re-sell it on eBay, but then I found this thread.

I set the code to 0000 and it paired in seconds.

Thanks a bunch. This is awesome!

Brett

teamreach

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
This worked! Thanks for posting how to change the code from 1234 to 0000 (Using a different phone that doesn't have BT connectivity problems) to pair a galaxy s5 to a subaru forester.

Delores White

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on changing the code to 0000. My new forester (2015 touring with tech package) would not pair with my Samsung S3. I never had a problem with my 2011 Forester and was using the same phone. When the salesman did the new vehicle familiarization session with us, he offered to set up my phone several times but I declined as it was pretty easy to do before. Now I know why he was so insistant... thanks again for sharing :)

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a 2015 Forester 2.5i Premium and I am unable to pair my Note 4, my wife's Droid Mini, or my 2014 Moto X. The salesman tried to pair the N4 and Mini but he couldn't do it. We had no problem pairing in models with touch screen displays but can not connect in the standard setup. I was able to change the code to 0000 via the in-dash unit but after pairing with one device I was unable to then turn off the car, turn it back on and pair it with the same device or another device. I can't at this time try and make any changes via a connected phone since none of my three phones works to connect. At this point I am hoping the dealer will swap in a newer, nicer radio since they kind of forced us to take some addons we didn't want. If anyone has any other tips or thoughts I would love to hear them.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek and I just got a Droid Turbo. I was able to get it paired and connected once. But now every time I start up the Subaru and try to connect my Droid won't connect.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lou Morda

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
My Motorola DROID4 could never keep a reliable connection with my Subaru Forester 2014. I switched to iPhone when I was eligible for a Verizon upgrade. I'll never buy another Android phone as long as I own this car. And I'm an Android mobile app developer.

geecka

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Wow. I cannot thank you enough! A lot of 2011-2014 WRX owners have been dumping their truly awful HU and buying the Forester or Impreza HUs in order to get the better screen (it's pretty much plug and play). I bought one off eBay, only to find that it would not pair with my MotoX. I was just about ready to pull the unit out and re-sell it on eBay, but then I found this thread.

I set the code to 0000 and it paired in seconds.

Thanks a bunch. This is awesome!

Brett

I don't think this unit is any better than the one in our 2013 WRX, but I'm glad to hear this worked for you. I'll try after work. I thought it was jurlst the Moto X. I had trouble pairing it with my 2012 CC at one point.

(Annoyed Subaru owner; only driving a 2015 Forester because the 2013 WRX is at the dealer, again, getting another - third! - engine head and another - fourth! - Turbo. Oh, five oxygen sensors, two clutches, and a couple valves. The '09 was perfect. Why did he want a 2013 instead, again?!?)

Last edited:

Libralinda

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Vehicle: Subaru Forrester 2012
Device: Motorola Moto X

This is the third cell phone I paired with my Subaru Forrester 2012. After working on pairing my cell phone to the vehicle for probably about an hour over a period of several days, today I got it paired. I would like to say that the Subaru Owners Manual did not provide very much help at all. The directions for pairing were poorly written and confusing.

Secondly, the pass key on the vehicle needs to be the same code that is on your cell phone.

Note: I bought my Subaru new and noted that the sales person paired my cell phone the first time. I suspect the Subaru sales people know what a big headache it is to pair the cell phone to the vehicle.

Although I like my Subaru very much, their Bluetooth feature leaves much to be desired.

mihai08

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Dear friends in suffering ;))

(Subaru Forester 2014) basic sound system with Bluetooth

There are two different bluetooth connections in your vehicle BT-A stands for Bluetooth Audio and BT (phone)

BT-A is activated and setup from the audio menu. You can connect your phone as well not only to play mudic but to answer your incoming calls.

And then there is the phone BT activated from the steering wheel buttons. To pai your phone push the receiver up botton-give a name (vocal) to the connection/device 1st (like Samsung Galaxy S6 - then follow the step by step instructions. You can enter names and telephone numbers manualy with voice tags or import the. This connection also will connect to your phone automatically when you start your vehicle. Not like the first connection that required yoy to pair your phone every time.

Hope it helps :))

Forester2015

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi friends,

I bought my 2015 Forester last yeAR and all was fine, bluetooth worked like a charm. In the last 8 months, I was having issue with Bluetooth dropping. I got my system swapped out for a new one and now I can't connect at all. It's quite weird. I'm going to reach out to the dealership again and bug them. Sucks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781