No more gmail notifications/refreshes?!

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
My Turbo has, for some reason, halted all Gmail related activity. As of this morning all was well. As of the last few hours, all is NOT well.

I no longer:
hear my chosen (or ANY) notification sound upon delivery
receive the on-screen notification via Moto Display (when screen is dark)
receive the on-screen notification in my notification bar
see the unread mail count (TeslaUnread Plugin) on the Gmail app icon
receive new email messages automatically PERIOD.

The only way I can know I have a new message in my inbox is if I open the Gmail app and click to manually refresh!

My Turbo did download and apply two app updates today: Golden Glass Icon Pack HD and Motorola Camera. I find it highly unlikely, but are one of these responsible?

I still do not know this phone I inside and out.. so please tell me any areas or settings to check (and how to check them) that you believe may be causing my Gmail Meltdown!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My Turbo did download and apply two app updates today: Golden Glass Icon Pack HD and Motorola Camera. I find it highly unlikely, but are one of these responsible?
Highly unlikely.

I still do not know this phone I inside and out.. so please tell me any areas or settings to check (and how to check them) that you believe may be causing my Gmail Meltdown!!
Check in GMail, in Sync, that you have it syncing. And check in Notifications, that you have a notification sound.

(I stopped using GMail as an email app a LONG time ago, because there seems to be something else wrong with every new version. I'm currently using Email, but I'm just not thrilled with the interface.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Settings / data usage. Tap the menu control top right - is "Auto-sync data" turned on? Is "restrict background data" turned off?

jdfrye

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me when I changed my ringtone. I fixed by doing a simple reboot by holding down the powers button till it reboots.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Highly unlikely.

Check in GMail, in Sync, that you have it syncing. And check in Notifications, that you have a notification sound.

(I stopped using GMail as an email app a LONG time ago, because there seems to be something else wrong with every new version. I'm currently using Email, but I'm just not thrilled with the interface.)

Gmail is checked in sync and I have a notification sound chosen and my volume is not muted or too low.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me when I changed my ringtone. I fixed by doing a simple reboot by holding down the powers button till it reboots.

I have not changed my ringtone recently. However, I did just reboot the phone using your method (I didn't know about holding the power button to reboot - thank you for that tidbit). Now ill have to wait for an email to see if my phone is synching and notifying me again...

Scratch that. Just received an email on my Kindle and it was not received on my phone until I opened the app and refreshed manually. AARRRGGH!

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Assuming that you're not using a 3rd party utility to change your notification sound....

My Gmail has always been rock solid before and after acquisition of the Turbo. Clear your phone cache (instructions easy to find) & see if that clears it up - if not, clear the Gmail app cache -and- app data, re-login to your account.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Assuming that you're not using a 3rd party utility to change your notification sound....

My Gmail has always been rock solid before and after acquisition of the Turbo. Clear your phone cache (instructions easy to find) & see if that clears it up - if not, clear the Gmail app cache -and- app data, re-login to your account.

I set my notifications from the menus within the phone.. I went into Gmail settings, tapped my account address, tapped Inbox sound and vibrate, tapped Sound, and selected a pre-installed notification sound from the list provided.

My Turbo has been picture perfect and rock solid from day one as well... until today. Would you mind terribly linking me to instructions on how to clear the phone cache? I am beside myself with this issue and am honestly scared to do anything that I have never done before.. hope that makes sense..

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Just had the least helpful person answer my call to VZN tech support. They had me remove my gmail account from the phone and then re-add it.
I always get someone who is of high intelligence and knowledgeable whenever I have needed to call.. but this was a major disappointment.
Considering calling back in hopes of queuing into someone else's line.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I cleared the phone cache and still nothing. No email. No change.

Given recent reviews on Google Play Store for the Gmail app, it seems I'm not alone. I have uninstalled the updates and am running on the original app. As soon as the uninstall finished, I received a notification of a new email and several others since. I've ensured my GP store account settings have "do not update apps automatically" selected so I don't have to deal with this annoying issue again. I'll consider a future update if it specifically addresses this problem but for now it is working as it should. Thanks everyone for your late night assistance.

cjayne

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
My gmail has been flaky as well. Check to see if you have Inbox installed as well. I getting notified of Inbox messages but not gmail. Getting ready to remove Inbox. I know there is some setting to kill notifications on one or the other so you don't get double notifications.

Edited: There is a "notifications" setting in the gmail settings now. As well as inbox.

Also make sure your sleep settings under moto aren't silencing them.

Posted via the Android Central App

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
My gmail has been flaky as well. Check to see if you have Inbox installed as well. I getting notified of Inbox messages but not gmail. Getting ready to remove Inbox. I know there is some setting to kill notifications on one or the other so you don't get double notifications

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't have Inbox installed. I uninstalled all Gmail updates and all of my issues have been resolved by running on the stock gmail app. I suggest giving that a shot. If you do, be sure to turn off auto updates in your Google Play Store account settings though so it doesn't install the update again.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd try installing again. It's possible it was just some data corruption that happened coincidentally with the first update. At the least you now know you can uninstall updates again if it happens again.

It's also possible that settings / apps / Gmail and tapping "clear data" could have fixed it.

It's also possible that it was a Gmail server issue. Those happen every once in a while.

From here https://downdetector.com/status/gmail you can see some reported Gmail problems last night...

jimcapraro

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
KA1OTE , I feel your frustration. I too have a small business and my DROID Turbo is the nerve center of the operation. Gmail is the critical communication app for me. I think doogald is right in that the problem was corrupt data in the gmail app cache or maybe the actual update installation of the app was somehow corrupted. My turbo is showing gmail notifications properly running the latest update. if you try re-installing the update it might start working again for you - and if that happens you can go ahead and turn Google Play automatic updating back on.

Last edited:

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Highly unlikely.

You might look at 'Type'
Email (Blue Mail). Very nice email app that handles Gmail, IMAP, POP, Corporate Exchange, etc.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You might look at 'Type'
Email (Blue Mail). Very nice email app that handles Gmail, IMAP, POP, Corporate Exchange, etc.
Type is terrific. I use it for all email accounts EXCEPT Gmail - it's just a preference on my part since I use the Gmail account for specific things and all other accounts are either POP3 or IMAP.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay.. my problem remains. Seems I was incorrect last night and it wasn't fixed and working right. It only sounded the notification sound once right after I cleared the app cache, uninstalled the updates (returning to stock) and rebooted the phone.

This morning, following the idea here that my first update may not have been applied correctly or with corruption, I allowed GP to update the Gmail app. Still no push notifications for new emails. Still have to manually refresh within the Gmail app to see new emails.

I am about to pull my hair out. I do not understand why it was working fine yesterday morning and now it is just not. I have submitted feedback to Gmail through the app explaining/complaining about this sudden issue. No idea where, if anywhere, that will get me but I figured why not.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Update the gmail app.

Open the gmail app. Open the sidebar, slide down and tap settings. Tap your email account. Make sure "notifications" is checked, make sure "sync gmail" is checked under "DATA USAGE". Tap "Inbox sound & vibrate" and make sure "notify for every message" is checked if you want that.

If this still doesn't help, go back home. Open settings app, under accounts tap "Google". Make sure your gmail account has a green circle rather than a red one. The tap your gmail account, and make sure that gmail is checked.

If that still doesn't help, settings app, tap "apps", tap gmail, tap "clear data". See if that resets everything.

Btw, the suggestion to remove and recreate your gmail account by the verizon tech was a sound one. That's never a terrible idea.

jimcapraro

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just went back and looked at this whole thread. As best as I could determine what I'm about to suggest was not mentioned. Although, you may have already tried it, if you have please forgive me.

Try this:
1. Open gmail so the Primary inbox shows
2. Tap menu icon (three horizontal bars in upper left corner)
3. Scroll dow to the bottom of the menu and tap settings
4. Tap the email account you want notifications for (I have 3 gmail accounts so my phone shows General settings, each of the three individual email accounts and then add account)
5. Make sure notifications is checked.
6. Repeat this for other gmail accounts (if you have any) that you want receive push notifications for

Hope this helps - and again please forgive me for suggesting this if you have already tried it.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith