Has anyone been able to get a SanDisk Dual USB Drive to work with a Turbo?

SeniorSwede

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
SanDisk Dual USB Drive

Has anyone been able to get this device to work with a Turbo 32GB version? No luck so far. Apparently it is formatted exFAT. Does that make a difference? I have sent off a message to SanDisk and they promise to get back to me in a few days.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: SanDisk Dual USB Drive

It should work as the Droid Turbo does list OTG compatibility, BUT I've read posts about people having issues actually getting OTG to work with the Turbo :( So yours might not be one of the lucky units...

As for the format, FAT32 or ExFAT are all readable by Android. If it's NTFS, then you'll need to re-format.

SeniorSwede

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

Since this Sandisk Dual drive is 64 gb can I format it FAT? And how? Normally FAT is reserved for much smaller drives. Will I lose Drive capacity?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

FAT will not work because the drive is, indeed, 64GB unless you want to format it as a 32GB one... ExFAT should work just fine for these (that's what the Ex stands form, 'extended')

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Why would you want to format a larger drive to an older format and limit your file sizes to 4GB when ExFAT is supported on your Android device and any computer that's not 10 years old?

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Storage on the go doesn't recognize NTSF format . I had to reformat my 64GB Snadisk Dual USB drive to FAT32 . Works great and it shows up at 59.4gb.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

OTG DOES recognize NTFS (actually it couldn't care less about the format of your device, as OTG is just a glorified connector). Android, on the other hand, didn't license the technology from Microsoft, so NTFS, a File Format proprietary to the aforementioned, cannot be used in Android, although there are a few Android devices whose manufacturers did license the format from MS, so a few out there CAN, in fact, read NTFS, but they're a rare, dying breed. FAT32 and ExFAT are essentially the same, but the Extended one allows you to address higher memory capacities, letting you have bigger file and overall storage sizes. The limitation you'll have with FAT32 is that you'll be limited to 4GB files, so large files, like movies, will need to be segmented into several ones in case the total file size is over 4GB.

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

OTG DOES recognize NTFS (actually it couldn't care less about the format of your device, as OTG is just a glorified connector). Android, on the other hand, didn't license the technology from Microsoft, so NTFS, a File Format proprietary to the aforementioned, cannot be used in Android, although there are a few Android devices whose manufacturers did license the format from MS, so a few out there CAN, in fact, read NTFS, but they're a rare, dying breed. FAT32 and ExFAT are essentially the same, but the Extended one allows you to address higher memory capacities, letting you have bigger file and overall storage sizes. The limitation you'll have with FAT32 is that you'll be limited to 4GB files, so large files, like movies, will need to be segmented into several ones in case the total file size is over 4GB.

Are you able to mount an exFAT drive to the turbo? Because mine won't recognize it. It will, however, recognize the same drive formatted in FAT32.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately, I don't have a Turbo to test out, but I do know that the Turbo line has a lot of issues with external drives, so that might be one of them. It's odd, though, considering other Moto phones have no issues at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781